West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

Draw probably fair result with Villa, Brighton and Liverpool also drawing it doesn't look too bad with international break coming up to get some of our important players back from injury. Should have really put that to bed with 3-1 though before their equaliser.

Would have shit had they scored their third at the end there.

Personally thought Anderson was anonymous first half, and couldn't get into the game, but alot of our attackers where the same in the first half, and then grew into it and was decent in the second. Basically the exact same as the whole team. It wasn't his finest display by any means, but given he was playing out of position, is 20 so is going to have games where he goes in and out, and that he's been quality over the last few weeks. I'm willing to give him a little bit of slack :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Good point from a difficult fixture, threadbare, with an emotional, if not physical, hangover from Wednesday. 

The way it happened was frustrating, but I would've taken 2-2 before kick off. 

Definitely. Looking at last season’s head to head, if we beat them at SJP we accumulate the same points as we did against them last season. Late equaliser frustrating but still undefeated. Beat Palace in two weeks and we’re ahead relative to points we gained in the same fixtures last season.

3 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Just me who thought WHU deserved nothing from that?

Think we should have put the game beyond them in the second half, but can't really complain they took a point. They wrested control in the last 15 mins or so.

3 minutes ago, HawK said:

5 of your posts in this thread have been specifically targetting one of our home-grown players, playing out of position due to suspensions and injuries.

Get a grip.

I have a good grip, thanks. Can you point me to any evidence of Elliott Anderson playing well or making a memorable contribution to a match instead of just dismissing my arguments?

Your argument makes no sense - I’m not complaining about the result or its context. I’m saying Anderson isn’t good enough based on visual evidence of him playing football for us.

Personally, proud of the team. Tough week, lot of tired legs, not many options to change things in key areas, missing Gordon. Conceding late always hurts but it's a good result overall, been some start to the season. Nice break now and we should get a couple back after. Onwards and upwards :thup:

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Just me who thought WHU deserved nothing from that?

If you were a fan of them you’d feel proper hard done if they got beat given we got the Bruno not being sent off and the FK on the first goal decisions go our way. Didn’t they played that well though but neither did we, particularly in the first half where we offered more or less nowt.

Just now, Theregulars said:

I have a good grip, thanks. Can you point me to any evidence of Elliott Anderson playing well or making a memorable contribution to a match instead of just dismissing my arguments?

Your argument makes no sense - I’m not complaining about the result or its context. I’m saying Anderson isn’t good enough based on visual evidence of him playing football for us.

I tend to agree to be honest. He’s nowhere near the level required at this stage of his development and shoot me, but I don’t see any elite talent.

1 minute ago, madras said:

First sentence aye but West Ham a lower league team ? They’ll be upper mid table with a good shout of Europa places.

People were claiming West Ham would be rubbish this season with the Rice sale, and Moyes buying 'crap' players with the money.

As mentioned back then Moyes brought in the types of signings that work well for him and it has been proven to be the case with their strong start to the season.

Calling them a lower league team is unbelievable really.

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Looked decent enough whenever he's played, certainly decent enough to not write a young lad off as comprehensively not good enough :lol: so kneejerk 

Can you give me an example? 

I’ll give you 3 bits of evidence from today’s match alone:

1. the cross from the right which landed perfectly to feet in the box and in space. He could have pulled back to Isak or shot. He miscontrolled out of play. 
2. the pullback from the right, which landed perfectly to feet, from which he had a very presentable chance. He miscontrolled and lost the ball.

3. The equaliser, where he gave coufal the run of the park.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Definitely. Looking at last season’s head to head, if we beat them at SJP we accumulate the same points as we did against them last season. Late equaliser frustrating but still undefeated. Beat Palace in two weeks and we’re ahead relative to points we gained in the same fixtures last season.

We're currently one point ahead.

I know nobody likes international breaks, but when you have 5 first team level players nursing injuries, it's only a good thing imo. We've done incredibly well since that Brighton match considering.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Id have taken a point at the beginning with Gordon suspended and the injuries we have, saying that theres such a pang of disappointment to concede in the last minute of any game. Get the injured lads back after the international break and press on 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I know nobody likes international breaks, but when you have 5 first team level players nursing injuries, it's only a good thing imo. We've done incredibly well since that Brighton match.

Yup and going into on the back of not being beaten is yuge for my sanity around the level of discourse too. 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Thats just bollocks though isn't it?

He's been a key fixture in a team that over the last few weeks has gone 7 games unbeaten, he's been comfortable in possession, defended well, and has had decent link-up play with Gordon and Burn on the left wing. He wasn't amazing today, but give the guy a break, he's 20 :lol: 

Just now, Theregulars said:

Can you give me an example? 

I’ll give you 3 bits of evidence from today’s match alone:

1. the cross from the right which landed perfectly to feet in the box and in space. He could have pulled back to Isak or shot. He miscontrolled out of play. 
2. the pullback from the right, which landed perfectly to feet, from which he had a very presentable chance. He miscontrolled and lost the ball.

3. The equaliser, where he gave coufal the run of the park.

I have no idea why you'd go after a young homegrown player this hard after one poor performance

3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Funnily enough, I thought he had finally got into the game and was making some impact when Eddie took him off.. :lol:

We lost control after the subs I thought.