Newcastle United vs. Borussia Dortmund - 25/10/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Going to be a pleasure to watch Reus. He's getting on a bit but still seems a very good player. Fucking loved watching him in the CL over the years. Gordon reminds me of mid-20s him a bit, actually.

I don’t think he starts many games these days - certainly the Dortmund matches I’ve watched this season he’s been on the bench….

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Maybe Tonali starts. Botman too if he's properly fit.

Was presuming tonalis ban is gonna kick in before then. Sure I read botman was a couple of weeks away from playing as well

I can see this game being similar to the PSG one in terms of blowing them away with a cracking atmosphere and intensity from the players. I can then see the away game being similar to the AC Milan game with them being dominant and us being solid. Fingers crossed we can get four points from them two, it would almost guarantee Europe after Christmas and give us a great chance of progression in the UCL.

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

Was presuming tonalis ban is gonna kick in before then. Sure I read botman was a couple of weeks away from playing as well

It probably is. And you did.

Isak for Wilson would be my only change. Can't be dropping Murphy after that showing, surely?

13 hours ago, Jonas said:

Are they most people's preferred German team? Seem to have that vibe generally

Yellow was my closet favourite colour so they probably were mine. Got one of their florescent early 90s shirts from the Chapuisat/Polvsen era. There's their stadium one of the few which still maintains its character and support now which wasn't a thing back then.

Bayern were so bourgeois even when they only won everything half the time.

I'm confident but just be mindful of a PSV situation after beating Barcelona and drawing in Kyiv before facing them twice. Of course it'll help that we wont park the bus for the two games like Dogleash did then for absolutely no reason whatsoever. We were up against Gilles De Bilde ffs.

Hoffenheim for me like.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Murphy unlucky to miss out but I think Howe will stick to his 'rotation' plan with Almiron and Isak coming back in. 

Fear us underestimating these a bit. Won their last five in the Bundesliga. 

We can underestimate them all we want. You know Eddie wont allow the team to do that though.

They pass the ball around really quickly and incisively in the attacking phase, which is something I feel we aren’t the best equipped to deal with. Hopefully will be more like last season’s Brighton game (the 4-1) than the one we lost recently; our high press could cause them issues, hopefully.

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

It probably is. And you did.

Isak for Wilson would be my only change. Can't be dropping Murphy after that showing, surely?

Aye fair enough about Murphy. Was just thinking it would be more pre planned than out else

53 minutes ago, Vaj said:

I can see this game being similar to the PSG one in terms of blowing them away with a cracking atmosphere and intensity from the players. I can then see the away game being similar to the AC Milan game with them being dominant and us being solid. Fingers crossed we can get four points from them two, it would almost guarantee Europe after Christmas and give us a great chance of progression in the UCL.

If we get 4 points against Dortmund - we finish above them and confirm European football.

We would be on 8 points. The max they could get is 8 points. CL group stage is decided by H2H if teams end up level on points. 4 points means we win (assuming another team doesn't finish on the same points).

The good thing is. If we beat them at Home, the away game is a must-win for them pretty much. If they have to score in the last 20 minutes, we can get them on the break.

35 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

We're not underestimating them, they're just better than we think they are.

Can't tell if that's a joke or if I've got the definition of underestimating wrong. :)

Edited by BonesJones

I like our chances, but this thread is giving me Man City pre-match vibes. PSG away is the only game they've lost this season.

Also, unless I missed one, I don't think they've lost at home since August of 2022 for those thinking about doing the double over them.

25 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I like our chances, but this thread is giving me Man City pre-match vibes. PSG away is the only game they've lost this season.

Also, unless I missed one, I don't think they've lost at home since August of 2022 for those thinking about doing the double over them.

I’ll take the single for starters :lol:

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Think it’s something Bobby Robson once said.

Ah OK. When he was in charge, I was at an age where the only thing in football that got my attention was the game itself and its result.

Now I'm the complete opposite, give me every bit of content available!