Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

Stif made a good point a few pages back. As hilarious as his mental breakdown has been, it's completely distracted everyone from the fact that Havertz is a scummy little ratfaced fuck that should be banned for longer than Sandro.

If VAR had ruled out the goal based on the video evidence they had, it would be a bigger controversy. They would have had to have chalked off a goal that was given by the ref based on inconclusive evidence. That would have been an example of the worst use of VAR and an example of what it has been criticised for.  

Just now, Adam P said:

If VAR had ruled out the goal based on the video evidence they had, it would be a bigger controversy. They would have had to have chalked off a goal that was given by the ref based on inconclusive evidence. That would have been an example of the worst use of VAR and an example of what it has been criticised for.  

Fucking exactly absolute imbeciles in the media.

It’s likely been mentioned but Arteta once again being overly emotional will hamper them again because it clearly effected them bottling the title last season. He isn’t as clever as Mou nor is it in a cunning way, he just comes across as massive baby. 

I actually like him tactically as a manager. Arsenal took us a part last season away and when it clicks it’s really clever, but he’s too all over the place to be a really top manager in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Nail on head.

13 minutes ago, wormy said:

Stif made a good point a few pages back. As hilarious as his mental breakdown has been, it's completely distracted everyone from the fact that Havertz is a scummy little ratfaced fuck that should be banned for longer than Sandro.

The bigger punishment is surely just letting him play? [emoji38] 

Quite hilarious Arteta paid £65m for someone he knew was shite and doesn't fit their system at all and is keep trying to make it work. It's kind of like their goalkeeper situation, he's just created a totally unnecessary problem for himself. 

Just now, Jaqen said:

Quite hilarious Arteta paid £65m for someone he knew was shite and doesn't fit their system at all and is keep trying to make it work. It's kind of like their goalkeeper situation, he's just created a totally unnecessary problem for himself. 

Tried being clever and copying city by playing with 2 number 10’s as 8’s. He’s absolutely wank. 

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

Good point well made. :lol:

54 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Aye, if something has to be looked at for 4 minutes, and is still being debated both ways, it can't possibly be 'clear and obvious'. 

Wrights opinion on the goal annoyed my. How can you say the ball is out there? Because you see grass below between the the line and the centre of the ball because of the angle :lol: If anything it looks in to me. Anyways it’s been proved that the ball was in. Just thought it was a bit thick. 

Regarding the potential foul. Yeah he had his arms on his back but Gabriel either goes down like a leaf or jumps early to get his head on the ball. Might be biased but looking at it live speed it was next to nothing. At least not worthy to make a massive deal and controversy over. Anyways, fuck them, we have been given so many decisions against us too, and some proper ridiculous clear as a day ones. This one has different opinions from all various people around, so it’s definitely not clear and obvious foul. Arteta can piss off the little zombie hedgehog. I don’t mind Arsenal but god do detest him and now Havertz who I’ve always dislikes. A coward with a punchable face that you just want to go through time and time again. 

The whole thing is just another example of the shitty imposition VAR is on the game. If it doesn't exist then my bet is that next to fuck all is made of the so-called controversy around that goal. A comment about the possible foul and how it could have gone the other way, and on we go. 

The presence of VAR energises all relevant parties to speculate, posture and demand over every possible infringement. I really would love to know what the officials feel about the job now compared to pre-VAR. To me the level of scrutiny and debate has increased a thousand-fold. It must be fucking miserable.

So, fine, yellow cards for players on the field complaining about refs’ decisions. What then should happen to players and managers having full-on hissy fits in front of of the national media about refs? Hope they absolutely chuck the book at them.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The whole thing is just another example of the shitty imposition VAR is on the game. If it doesn't exist then my bet is that next to fuck all is made of the so-called controversy around that goal. A comment about the possible foul and how it could have gone the other way, and on we go. 

The presence of VAR energises all relevant parties to speculate, posture and demand over every possible infringement. I really would love to know what the officials feel about the job now compared to pre-VAR. To me the level of scrutiny and debate has increased a thousand-fold. It must be fucking miserable.

VAR was partly introduced so there wouldn't be so much discussion about ref calls, but it's worse than ever before now. The push on Gabriel is there, but it's one of those you see at every single set piece, the only difference here is that it was just them two in the box now so easy to focus on. Bloody ridiculous how much talk has gone into this goal.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2023/11/match-of-the-day-analysis-on-newcastle-1-arsenal-0-a-must-read-from-this-motd-pundit-newcastle-united/

Match of The Day analysis on Newcastle 1 Arsenal 0 – A must read from this MOTD pundit

This is brilliant from Match of The Day on Saturday night.

Newcastle 1 Arsenal 0 was not surprisingly the main game to focus on.

Match of The Day pundit Danny Murphy giving this superb analysis of how exactly Newcastle United managed to get the win AND become the first team to stop Arsenal scoring this season.

Gary Lineker and Danny Murphy talking on Match of The Day about how Newcastle United won against Arsenal – 4 November 2023:

Gary Lineker:

“A big win for Newcastle, the first time in seventeen games this season in all competitions, that Arsenal have failed to score a goal in, and you [Danny Murphy] have been looking at how Newcastle managed to stop them.”

Danny Murphy:

“I have, it was incredible.

“If you want to stop Arsenal, you have to stop Martinelli and Saka.

“The pace, the skill, the creativity.

“If you ever want to see a display of defensive discipline, great work ethic, helping your teammate, especially in wide areas, this was it today.

“It started early in the game, you could see what they [Newcastle United] were going to do.

“You have Trippier and Burn at right-back and left-back, as we know. 

“They had Almiron and Gordon in wide areas. Almiron was the one confronting Martinelli and Trippier dropping off. That stops the space behind for him to run at you one on one. Very hard to play against one v one, that means he [Martinelli] is crossing from deep and wide.

“Watch Gordon’s willingness to run back and try to help Dan Burn. You have also got Bruno helping, Saka can see that and there is no space for him to run into, so he ends up with a nothing ball. Easy to defend.

“These are the areas Arsenal look to get into, this time Longstaff helping Trippier, he knows there [Martinelli out wide] is the danger. He [Longstaff] can risk leaving the man behind him because the wide men are the ones who make the goals for Arsenal, they are the ones that are the creative force. Again, peters our, trying to play an eye of the needle pass.

“A quick throw in here, what do you want to do, get Saka away, counter-attack. Watch the reaction from Longstaff, Joelinton and Schar. They know who the danger players are.

“This is from the manager.

“This has been worked on, day in day out, this week.

“And whoever came on the pitch [for Newcastle] and played these positions, kept doing the same thing.

“The work ethic from Gordon and Almiron to get back, the best you will see from any wide player in the Premier League.

“Anywhere, probably in Europe.

“Joelinton and Gordon again, can’t leave him [Trippier] isolated, he [Saka] is too good a player.

“They [Newcastle] had to make some substitutions but the same discipline applied, same work ethic.

“Two new players on the right, Livramento and Ritchie. Communication, the key to any good defending. Ritchie with Martinelli, asking Livramento to cover him.

“This is hard work.

“This is a team ethos.

“This is a manager [Eddie Howe] making sure his players are doing their job.

“And if they don’t, they don’t play for Eddie Howe, they don’t play for Newcastle.

“They are arguably one of the most hard working teams in the Premier League.

This [Joelinton block tackle just before final whistle] epitomises the attitude, the application and the desire of this Newcastle side.

“It was really really good.

“It was a superb defensive display, which was the bedrock to the win.”

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The continued debates post-VAR does make the 'so then what's the point in VAR then?' point stronger, but VAR's existence is because this flat out didn't happen like. The debates raged on like they do now, only with the extra clamouring for VAR.

No VAR at the game yesterday and the goal stands and the Arsenal lot would be clamoring for VAR. 

The circumstances yesterday were bizarre which unsurprisingly heightened the sense of controversy but at the end of the day not giving that goal would have been far more controversial. 

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The continued debates post-VAR does make the 'so then what's the point in VAR then?' point stronger, but VAR's existence is because this flat out didn't happen like. The debates raged on like they do now, only with the extra clamouring for VAR.

:thup: My perception is that they're getting loads more right than they were before. People forget that there were plenty of decisions that were objectively wrong every single weekend, that you just had to accept. There are far less wrong decisions now, as imperfect as VAR is.

You can't really put the genie back in the bottle now so the main things to work on, for me, are:

- Why is the implementation of VAR and general level of officiating worse here than in other countries and competitions? I swear I've watched World Cups and Euros where VAR has been seamless and there are next to no issues. What can we learn from other systems? 

- There is no excuse for lack of investment into tools that would help give the VAR officials the info they need to make surer decisions, e.g. Cameras that cover all incidents, line technology on the touchline, automated offside technology.

In theory anything that is objective can and should be automated, and leave the subjective stuff to the matchday and VAR officials.