Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Managers like Arteta make no sense to me. Surely he’s seen enough football matches to gain some kind of long-term view of these matters. 

When a decision goes in his favour, does he say they need to review it? 

Aye but he's an overly emotional tantrum throwing flange...sort of hampers him a bit.

Edited by GEFAFWISP

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:
2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

The whole thing is just another example of the shitty imposition VAR is on the game. If it doesn't exist then my bet is that next to fuck all is made of the so-called controversy around that goal. A comment about the possible foul and how it could have gone the other way, and on we go. 

The continued debates post-VAR does make the 'so then what's the point in VAR then?' point stronger, but VAR's existence is because this flat out didn't happen like. The debates raged on like they do now, only with the extra clamouring for VAR.

I'm aware that debates happened, of course, but I don't agree that they were as raging as they are now. VAR means more incidents are debated as the benchmark for something being contentious becomes increasingly lowered, meanwhile there's a greater expectation for 'correctness' and therefore more aggro from the party on the wrong end of a call.

Yesterday is a good example. One borderline call becomes three, and according to the loser it's an embarrassment/disgrace; followed by statements from clubs which heaps yet more pressure on PGMOL and the individuals carrying out an already unappealing job. I don't think there's that reaction pre-VAR, it's "do we think Joelinton fouled Gabriel?" 

Again I'm not crowing for the abolition of VAR. There's probably a net gain in terms of number of decisions like @Interpolic says (though I refuse to count goals being disallowed for millimetre offside calls among that tally). I just wish it didn't have such an imposition on the game. 

I'm just thinking out loud here, so this could be gibberish, but I do think we as a football community need to look at how we collectively analyse and debate these sorts of decisions. The amount of flack and pressure the referees come under are ridiculous. Mistakes can be annoying and frustrating, and can make you angry if it goes against you, but the continued pile on online, on talk sport, on Sky Sports isn't helpful, and it doesn't help change.

You have people like Mark Goldbridge, Rory Jennings etc whose whole income structure is to ensure that things remain as incendiary as possible as that's what gets them views, but it's not a conducive environment to create actual change, you just end up in a circle jerk of emotions, and clubs coming out with statements like Arsenal's and managers like Arteta coming out like he did yesterday in such a spiteful and venomous manner, it's just wrong imo. It's a subjective sport, things aren't black or white, that's why we all love it, so why are we trying to make it so? (The answer is money, there is so much money in the game now that one wrong decision can cost millions)

With the Liverpool incident, that was a black and white factual error, so I can see why they where so aggrieved, but this, everything is just subjective, Willock keeping the ball in, Joelintons push, Gordon's offside, it's all subjective, but isn't that what makes football beautiful?

For reference the average yearly salary for a Premier League ref is £35k-£40k (They then get paid a certain amount per match too I think), so who would genuinely want to be a referee for that amount of money, as the amount of pressure they're under for that amount is laughable. We've seen with Caroline Flack what can happen when the media, social media and the general public pile on someone, and it would not surprise me if one day a referee does something similar, as it's shocking the amount of flack they get, and we as Football fans need to realise that the current environment is not helpful in the slightest before something happens.

"Some people around here need to learn how to lose. I just felt they didn't take the defeat gracefully. Sometimes you have to, no matter how much it hurts."

- Bobby Robson, December 2001.

Nowt's changed in 22 years then. Absolutely heinous club in defeat, that lot. Always have been.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Managers like Arteta make no sense to me. Surely he’s seen enough football matches to gain some kind of long-term view of these matters. 

He spent the majority of his career with Wenger where he could do no wrong.

He’s like one of those children where the parents never tell them off and they can’t do any wrong. They go on to be trouble makers and having problems when things go against them.
We have seen it with how he reacts on the touchline, he absolutely can’t cope when he isn’t flying and everything is going well.

Some people are suggesting that he’s doing this on purpose to deflect off his team. He’s not intelligent enough to do that and as I say, his touchline behaviour indicates that he’s just a spoilt brat. He was the same as a player, crying like fuck if an opposition player had the audacity to come near him.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Who’s this wet wipe on the sky sports YouTube highlights?

IMG_0726.thumb.jpeg.9e1bccc26bcd6a2175ce8c04f873f3e2.jpeg

The ref was fucking shocking like and basically wound us up into a frenzy.

Not excusing Bruno being a nutjob, but he felt that wrongly done too that he lost his head. Obviously worked for the betterment of us this time but ref was honking.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Not excusing Bruno being a nutjob, but he felt that wrongly done too that he lost his head. Obviously worked for the betterment of us this time but ref was honking.

I really feel Bruno was trying to get booked, trying to get the ban for bournemouth instead of Chelsea or manspew

Arsenal are just a textbook example of a club and fanbase who can’t handle not getting their own way.

It was a physical, bad-tempered game. But both teams made it that way. Their defenders were putting in some full-blooded challenges as well. 

There seems to be a fundamental misconception in their own fanbase that their players are these perfectly elegant, graceful players on and off the ball. They aren’t at all, they’re very physical and aren’t afraid to show it when they can. Perfectly illustrated by the duel between Wilson and Gabriel.

I think a more underlying issue here is that Arsenal have traditionally enjoyed getting their run of St James’ and the Emirates whenever we play. Think we managed a meagre 1 win in 20, now it’s 2 wins in 4. I just think they can’t handle this change in intensity when we play them now. 

Arteta’s comments are basically an elaborate distraction for a team that didn’t impose a legitimate control on the game. 

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

I really feel Bruno was trying to get booked, trying to get the ban for bournemouth instead of Chelsea or manspew

Would have been much easier and safer to wave an imaginary card late on 

Edited by madras

50 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

One month ago Lego head said this and now they release that statement, they are EMBARRASSING!

Absolutely loving this, this is the kind of thing that will filter into the players and be negative for them and im all for it!!

I don’t think applauding or supporting Arteta’s behaviour is good for Arsenal in the long-term. If my boss couldn’t control their emotions, I would lose complete respect for them. A manager has to set the standard for professionalism. Arteta hasn’t done that and it could have the opposite effect of galvanising the changing room. 

5 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I don’t think applauding or supporting Arteta’s behaviour is good for Arsenal in the long-term. If my boss couldn’t control their emotions, I would lose complete respect for them. A manager has to set the standard for professionalism. Arteta hasn’t done that and it could have the opposite effect of galvanising the changing room. 

Totally agree. I think quietly making a complaint to PGMOL if you feel hard done by, or calmly stating you think certain decisions were wrong in an interview is fine, but you should always point the finger at yourself. The performance was poor from them and their players will now have this incorrect notion that they did well on the day and deserved to win when in actual fact they were poor and may have just about been worth a point.

Edited by Pilko