Borussia Dortmund vs. Newcastle United: 7/11/23 @ 17:45 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

5 hours ago, Amir_9 said:

Would have loved for Isak to have been fit for this and the home game. I love Wilson and he's already a NUFC legend in my eyes, but I don't know if he has the dynamic and unpredictability element to score against some of these top European sides consistently.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Has Callum ever scored a cup goal for us? 

We're walking into this on the back of beating two of the best sides in the best league in the world with patched up teams... wheres all this negativity coming from? We were off it at home, we will be fired up for this and Howe will have a plan and have drilled us to execute it. We'll win this and be back in it.

8 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

We're walking into this on the back of beating two of the best sides in the best league in the world with patched up teams... wheres all this negativity coming from? We were off it at home, we will be fired up for this and Howe will have a plan and have drilled us to execute it. We'll win this and be back in it.

I didn’t think we’d win either of those either. Sticking with pessimism; it’s working for me.

Joelinton us an absolute game changer for us in this fixture.

Dortmund will be completely unprepared for him and Willock.

Sit a little tighter, and do what they did to us on the break.

35 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

There's a fuck load of pessimistic posters in here. Jesus!

Inevitably the same folk who complain loudest when the result they've built up all week to happen, happens. 

Think Eddie will have learnt massively from the home game, and I think we'll play a little bit wiser. Can see us stealing this, either 1-0 or more likely 2-1. As other have said, gutted Isak isn't here for this. Imagine we'll see Gordon up front for a bit once Wilson tires out, which could stretch them later on with Willock as well. 

If we somehow win this tomorrow, and then against Bornemouth, what a run we will have had against some big teams, with pretty much half a squad.  I cannot believe we are keeping this going despite loads of players out.  No one is complaining, they just keep digging deeper and deeper.  What Howe has done with these players in terms of team spirit and drive is completely mind blowing.

If the lads can muster up a couple more wins, It will be astounding. Then we can hopefully get some players rested and fit again over the international break for another push! 

I think Wilson will start.  But I would be tempted to start Willock and have Gordon up top again.  Wilson really struggled to offer anything in open play last time against these and was the same against Arsenal.  He would certainly be a great option off the bench for the second half.  I also think Willock's legs on the counter would be ideal here, the same as Gordon's, along with his movement. 

Assuming the only change from the off will be Tino in for Burn and Trippier over to left back. 

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

Hopefully they play a bit more offensively than they did at SJP. I think we were probably surprised at how deep they set themselves here. Them playing higher would suit us.

The best thing they did was neuter the threat from the right hand side and particularly Trippier. If we end up with Tripps on the left and Tino on the right, that's a tactical switch that theoretically they'd be far less prepared for. 

3 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Dortmund is a top team, and under 2 weeks ago we lost at home to them. We are in a really hard match program and our squad is stretch with many injuries, think from the last 4-5 matches we had 1-2 players each game getting injured.  

We also had 14 years under Mike Ashley, and prior to him we had a few bad seasons. Being realistic is not being negative, but I would love to have your pink googles on and think we win every match, I lost my pink googles in the Sir Bobby Robson area. 

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Hopefully they play a bit more offensively than they did at SJP. I think we were probably surprised at how deep they set themselves here. Them playing higher would suit us.

I'm not sure they will, but with them being at home and beating us last time.  You'd like to think so.  I know we are some way off Bayern and they scored early.  But Bayern could have scored another 4 easily enough on Saturday and Dortmund looked all over the place for the goals based on the 5 mins highlights on Sky.   

Looking forward to this. Dont think there's a great deal of pressure on us as the CL is a bit of a free hit this year. The only things I worry about here is a lack of prep time. We'll have been focusing on Arsenal so much that we'll barely have had a chance to prepare for Dortmund. Had this been a week away or even Wednesday night I'd fancy us more. 

Think we'll draw. A draw leaves them in a decent enough position but they'll still be well aware that they need to beat either PSG at home or go to Milan and win to go through or rely on us to not win either of our last two games. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

I watch them a bit and I don’t think these are that good tbh, so it’s annoying that we didn’t show up at Home against them. They’re upper mid-table prem quality across their squad imo. What they are though, like many German teams, is slick and tactically very tricky to deal with.

Really interested to see how we deal with them. 

Edited by McCormick

For those attending, what day you getting there?

I appreciate some might be coming over tomorrow, and there's several ways of getting here, but didn't see a single other fan on my flight, and I'm currently on my own at the Navigli Canal. 

The availability of Joelinton and Willock will mean this plays out alot differently from the first, if we can maintain momentum and not concede the first goal and there’s no reason we don’t come away with a result. Very difficult test though, especially when you consider how many players we have out.