Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Newcastle United (07/11/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Mazzy said:

Isak is a miss but we still lose that game and this without him. We've hit the bar twice in the last minute of the game, it's not like we were banging the door down for 90mins.

Disagree like, Isak is perfect against these. It’s all about getting in behind these lads, his dribbling ability would have allowed us to stretch them and use the pace of Gordon and Willock

Just now, Mazzy said:

Exact same thing in the home fixture though and we didn't learn that lesson.

These two games against Dortmund have been near enough identical other than the fact they've scored 2 in this one.

Aye, same game. No lessons learned.

We need Milan to lose to PSG tonight anyway to at least take the Europa League spot to SJP against them next month. And this notion about it being better to go out altogether, fuck that man, Europa League is not the Champions League, we'll do a lot better there and can go on a run. I'd much rather be in that than nothing like. 

Edited by Decky

Just now, gbandit said:

Disagree like, Isak is perfect against these. It’s all about getting in behind these lads, his dribbling ability would have allowed us to stretch them and use the pace of Gordon and Willock

Feel like we haven't tested Hummels in both games tbh.

Lack of experience in these types of games and a long injury list cost us this one I think. No need to overreact though, easy to forgot this time 2 years ago we hadn't won a league game and were a strong relegation candidate. We're still building

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Absolutely desperately need Botman back. The defence is completely different without him 

Botman back would be huge but we’ve been extremely solid defensively when he’s been out.

1 minute ago, thomas said:

Dortmund definitely have our number. Whatever it is we need to do to effectively cope with them we either lack the specific personnel types (likely) or managerial nous (less likely, still possible) to do so.

I take some small comfort in the fact we're a work in progress without great quality in depth and also legitimately plagued by injuries at the moment.

Here come the managerial nous folks again ... oh my goodness.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, exactly. We were going for a key goal.

Why Trippier cannot beat the first man is beyond me. Time and time again.

He has been infuriating.

Gotta hit the back post on that FK, rather than the 3 yellow shirts and keeper positioned near post. Oh well.

We have tried, but to be honest, this is a top European side. We are not there yet. They have few German Internationals, and damn tough team otherwise too. 

No shame in this. We just don't have enough quality up top.

edit. We cannot manage with these injuries. UEL-place still up for grabs.

Edited by KingArthur

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

100% disagree. Dortmund have played us perfectly. We've had next to nothing and that's because they've done their jobs and we've not had an answer to them.

I agree that they’ve been good. But not super - I’m not saying we should’ve beaten them home and away but we’ve hardly laid a glove on them - partly because of their quality but also very much from not being used to this. We’ve seemed nervous and have misplaced a hell of a lot of passes (as we did in Milan). We also started the game really deep (too deep imo) and they still cut right through us. It’s all understandable though we haven’t got the players (or experience) for this yet.