Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

The way he left Schar on our left and cut the ball in was the classiest bit of play all night. We did a great job of forcing him to play it to a teammate. Overall, our defensive shape was incredible and the fact he almost never got away from us obviously speaks to our having a low block in the second half but more so our ability to starve him of space and options. Trippier’s tackle on him where he killed the ball dead was huge 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Shearer on the Lineker podcast says he's spoken to UEFA and they acknowledge the mistake AND the officials have also acknowledged the mistake. Officials will be stood down for next round also. So fucking annoying 

So I guess all that's left now is they'll chalk off the goal, right?

:okay:

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Shearer on the Lineker podcast says he's spoken to UEFA and they acknowledge the mistake AND the officials have also acknowledged the mistake. Officials will be stood down for next round also. So fucking annoying 

Was just about to post the same. Fucking joke as they rightly discussed, because now our progress hinges in the balance whereas it could, and should, have been in our hands.

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Insane, we have VAR and such mistakes are still made. Let’s hope they actually bother to investigate exactly what led to the mistake and work on resolving it. 

I’m not having it that it was a “mistake” if that’s the other way round then  no penalty would have been given. All ifs buts and maybes I know. They can’t stop what’s coming and it’s us that are coming.
NUFC “the 2nd coming”  :indi:

Just finished listening to the Euro Leagues Podcast and would like to know when did Guillem Balague turn into such an idiot? Discussing the PSG match he says Newcastle were terrible and that the referee was perhaps justified in giving a penalty because they were so dominant :lol:

Fair play to the host Steve Crossman saying thats a ridiculous argument and should have no sway on a refereeing decision. He wasn't having any of it and starting bringing up pass completion and XG. What a moron

Wish I got a paid week off work every time I fucked up.

I have no idea how refereeing allocation works but surely a better system would be demoting them to 2nd tier games for a month on the first cock up, with increasing lengths on further errors before a permanent demotion after a certain number within a certain period.

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Just finished listening to the Euro Leagues Podcast and would like to know when did Guillem Balague turn into such an idiot? Discussing the PSG match he says Newcastle were terrible and that the referee was perhaps justified in giving a penalty because they were so dominant :lol:

Fair play to the host Steve Crossman saying thats a ridiculous argument and should have no sway on a refereeing decision. He wasn't having any of it and starting bringing up pass completion and XG. What a moron

Good on steve crossman lol I knew him growing up good guy, though still weirds me out hearing him on radio so much

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

He’s a moron wouldn’t have said that if Rafa had been in the dugout, would have been a defensive masterclass.

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Good on steve crossman lol I knew him growing up good guy, though still weirds me out hearing him on radio so much

He's a Boro fan, isn't he?  Does always come across quite well on that pod.  Must be difficult to remain grounded and normal.  What with every journo on there probably being the type that enjoys their own farts and would pipe themselves off if they could :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Sima said:

I know if you're being a glass half empty type.  That it could all just be a good PR move from Howe with what he does with the players at the end.  But I do love how they always come to the away end for a good while or do a bit of lap at home.  It has just made the connection that much better after years of fans feeling disillusioned with the owner, manager, players.  Or all three!

I feel like these players genuinely care more and the fans are more patient and understanding with the squad because of the way they now conduct themselves before, during and after.  Bad bits of play, poor results etc.  I feel like most fans are far more lenient now and not so quick to abuse everyone.    

the narrative from the media about the handball is starting to annoy me like. Why they are discussing psg xg in relation to the decision is truly baffling. A catastrophic error was made which as robbed us of two points. The fact PSG missed chances is completely irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

the narrative from the media about the handball is starting to annoy me like. Why they are discussing psg xg in relation to the decision is truly baffling. A catastrophic error was made which as robbed us of two points. The fact PSG missed chances is completely irrelevant. 

Because fuck giving Newcastle any credit.

We are a stain on football and play rugby if you listen to the cretins on social media, or even opposition managers tbf.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Plenty of upset away wins in the CL, or any competition for that matter.  Rely heavily on defending like warriors, top level goalkeeping, good fortune and wasteful finishing from the other team.  

When Chelsea won the CL, Barca away was massively one sided from memory.  I doubt their fans care and I don't remember a media narrative about how lucky they were, or how Barca deserved to win, had better chances etc. 

xG has a lot to answer for :lol: 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

Plenty of upset away wins in the CL, or any competition for that matter.  Rely heavily on defending like warriors, top level goalkeeping, good fortune and wasteful finishing from the other team.  

When Chelsea won the CL, Barca away was massively one sided from memory.  I doubt their fans care and I don't remember a media narrative about how lucky they were, or how Barca deserved to win, had better chances etc. 

It definitely does, and I do believe it has some relevancy but not for deciding outcomes of games, we have something called goals for that. 

in the context of our game it’s totally irrelevant and should have no bearing on the officiating of the game. 

Ultimately if your analysis of the game is well PSG deserved a point because of XG I question your knowledge and understanding of football. 

14 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It's only a problem to fans of teams who think they have a divine right to win these matches and we have committed an act against God by denying them the win.

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It definitely does, and I do believe it has some relevancy but not for deciding outcomes of games, we have something called goals for that. 

in the context of our game it’s totally irrelevant and should have no bearing on the officiating of the game. 

Ultimately if your analysis of the game is well PSG deserved a point because of XG I question your knowledge and understanding of football. 

I agree, but I often ask myself this question. What is the criteria for wins being "deserved"? We've had our fair share of games last season where we couldn't break down tight defences and created several huge chances that we missed. Did we not deserve to win, even though we created so many chances? Lets say the Leicester 0-0 home game for example.

35 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Briefed by UEFA maybe 

3 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

I’m not having it that it was a “mistake” if that’s the other way round then  no penalty would have been given. All ifs buts and maybes I know. They can’t stop what’s coming and it’s us that are coming.
NUFC “the 2nd coming”  :indi:

This for me either they don't know the rules and are incompetent or they do know them and are corrupt. Giving the 8 minutes injury time I suspect the latter.

Edited by WideopenMag

3 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

This for me either they don't no the rules and are incompetent or they do know them and are corrupt. Giving the 8 minutes injury time I suspect the latter.

I almost want to rewatch the second half just to calculate it myself.[emoji38] Someone should look into it.

Edited by Erikse