Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Not too disappointed in this. Not knocking Freedman but wanted someone who had more pedigree in a top job. 

Respect his loyalty to Palace. He could teach a certain poisonous dwarf a thing or two. 

From the Athletic:

Johannes Spors, global sporting director of would-be Everton owners 777 Partners Football Group, is the other favoured candidate and he is still awaiting an answer. The 41-year-old German is open to the role and has still featured in discussions among Newcastle’s hierarchy in recent days, even if they were set to opt for Freedman.

I'll be surprised if it isn't Spors.

On 06/05/2024 at 15:19, LFEE said:

Would be a little surprised if he leaves Palace. Has a very strong bond there. Maybe after a pay rise.

Sorry to be that guy… [emoji38]

Wonder if Palace recent form swayed his decision, if they can keep hold of Olise and Eze they will have a good season next year

Last time our first choice rejected us things turned out more than fine so hopefully this goes the same way

Ideally we can have someone in place soon, don't want this dragging on

47 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Weren’t there some rumours on here that Nickson was off this summer?

I may be imagining it but not long after the takeover I could've sworn there was talk of Nickson being in the Charnley bracket of only sticking around for transitional reasons. I guess if I'm not imagining it he's just proven his worth to them since then. 

4 minutes ago, wormy said:

I may be imagining it but not long after the takeover I could've sworn there was talk of Nickson being in the Charnley bracket of only sticking around for transitional reasons. I guess if I'm not imagining it he's just proven his worth to them since then. 

No he’s definitely proven his worth. Thought very highly of by all who are currently at the club, whether he can step up to a Sporting Director role remains to be seen.

Moving capable employees into roles to suit a businesses interest doesn’t always work out in the long term and if it doesn’t, almost always impossible to step back into the previous role without taking reputations damage.

Palace seemingly lucked out in getting Glasner, like. They were utterly listless prior to him coming in with no hint of a long term plan.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

Weren’t there some rumours on here that Nickson was off this summer?

Was all from some know out pretend ITK Twitter account. 

If it is Spors, the last time we picked our second choice things didn’t work out bad

8 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Was all from some know out pretend ITK Twitter account. 

If it is Spors, the last time we picked our second choice things didn’t work out bad

:howe:

41 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

No he’s definitely proven his worth. Thought very highly of by all who are currently at the club, whether he can step up to a Sporting Director role remains to be seen.

Moving capable employees into roles to suit a businesses interest doesn’t always work out in the long term and if it doesn’t, almost always impossible to step back into the previous role without taking reputations damage.

True, but if we don't offer an avenue for his ambitions we might just lose him anyway.

The Palace fan on here did tell us it was likely he would stay - Not sure how many times I need to say this, but always listen to fans when they tell you about thei.. 

On 21/06/2023 at 01:00, Milanista said:

Let me cut to the chase: you're not getting Tonali.

...oh

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Palace fan on here did tell us it was likely he would stay - Not sure how many times I need to say this, but always listen to fans when they tell you about thei.. 

...oh

Love that post. :lol: Will never tire of reading it. 

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

...oh

?That guys never living that down (on this forum anyway).

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Pinto has agreed to join Bournemouth 

Thank goodness he’s not an option for us anymore. He was fairly useless from what I heard from Roma fans. 

Just now, McCormick said:

Thank goodness he’s not an option for us anymore. He was fairly useless from what I heard from Roma fans. 

I didn’t want him simply because of his relationship with Mourinho.

From Hope's latest article:

We understand some of the references for Spors - the global sporting director of the 777 Group - have suggested he may not be the best fit for Newcastle, and it is far from a given they will now revert to the 41-year-old.