Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Newcastle United - NUFC win 4-3 on pens (27/02/24) | Reaction: pg 70

Disco

3 hours ago, SteV said:

It’s been 34k per side the last couple of seasons. Think we got 33k v Man United.

Obviously how each club choose to dish out that 34k is another matter entirely. But that discussion can wait for another day…

IMG-6926.jpg

You'd think the 8-10k accounts linked to the people who've been to the 3 away games are locked in to go/give to whoever they want. Probably a ballot for 20-23k season ticket holders after that. That'll be it. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

7 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Have to say I think I see lots of mentally tired players with us at the moment.

Yeah, they couldn't summon up the energy to celebrate the shoot-out properly. Where was the mad rush at the keeper, ending with him disappearing under a pile of delirious bodies, eh?

That sounded a bit homo-erotic, didn't it? Hmm.....

Edited by Cronky

2 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Ideal QF draw

Newcastle vs Coventry

Chelsea or Leeds vs Liverpool or Southampton

Nottingham Forest or Manchester United vs Manchester City

Leicester City vs Wolverhampton Wanderers or Brighton & Hove Albion

Likely QF draw

Man City vs Newcastle

Liverpool/Southampton  vs Coventry

Nottingham Forest/Man U vs Leicester 

Chelsea/Leeds vs Wolves/Brighton 

Such an energy sapper, that. Must've been great for the neutral though! 

Can only hope, as others have already said, this serves as a wake-up call. The lads have still got loads to play for this season - now they need to go and make the most of it. That motivation should be enough to freshen the mindset for the final run-in. Players are coming back, so we can only get stronger from here on out ( :yao: ).

20 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Likely QF draw

Man City vs Newcastle

Liverpool/Southampton  vs Coventry

Nottingham Forest/Man U vs Leicester 

Chelsea/Leeds vs Wolves/Brighton 

Anyone at home bar Man City and Liverpool and we'd have a strong chance.

Avoid those two plus Man Utd and Chelsea away and it'd tough but winnable. (Wolves or Brighton would be a stinker though but we'd be capable on our day)

Edited by Optimistic Nut

The competition likely gets extremely difficult from now on. On our form earlier in the season and last season I’d go into any match thinking we could win. I do think we’ll be much improved for the quarter final but we need a favourable draw to make the semis. Liverpool, Man City, Man U and Chelsea would all beat us if we were away. If we were at home to those sides I think we’d lose against Liverpool and Man City. Not sure about the other two 

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Obviously in the minority here but I didn't think we were that bad TBH. Tough game away to a very motivated team, we're not in great form but we did enough to get through.

Not terrible, but we did not look like the PL team last night.

Was quite disheartening seeing Blackburn play one touch passes out of trouble from their box whilst we wildly flapped at the ball like it was STD.

I'll take going through the cup as I do believe sometimes games are stacked against you and just getting through can hopefully be the springboard. Man united have been doing it for years now, it's about winning whichever way.

Just now, NE27 said:

Not terrible, but we did not look like the PL team last night.

Was quite disheartening seeing Blackburn play one touch passes out of trouble from their box whilst we wildly flapped at the ball like it was STD.

I'll take going through the cup as I do believe sometimes games are stacked against you and just getting through can hopefully be the springboard. Man united have been doing it for years now, it's about winning whichever way.

I think being outplayed technically by a championship team is the depressing thing. The performance was very mixed and obviously Blackburn were super motivated to cause an upset. 

Any kind of draw in the next round could see the end of us, but I guess we just have to hope the players coming back help and the win itself gives us a confidence boost. 

Weird when I saw the Blackburn team sheet, I thought I was back in the 90's with some of the names.

Really shit game, we seemed to completely lack that spark. We have for a while now but I thought it might be the ideal opportunity to clear the cobwebs and get our mojo back. I reckon there is something off behind the scenes like, the spirit doesn't seem to be as strong. I hope we overcome it as  am enjoying the ride and want the players to continue to enjoy playing for us too.

Credit to Blackburn like, they did a great job.

TBF I don't think this game was the one to blow a team away and show a reaction to Arsenal. The opponents weren't a pushover, they smelled blood, had no pressure on them and obviously believed an upset was on the cards.  

A better performance would have been great obviously.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

Haven't made any mention on the pens either, they were all pretty good pens and dubs was :pedro:

So got to be happy for small mercies.

Yep, knew Barnes was going to miss but other than that they were good. Happy for Anderson to smash one in. 

Sensible move to take Miley out of the shootout as well. 

Disgraceful and embarrassing performance. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Howe isn't manager next season. Not just on the back of last night either. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

TBF I don't think this game was the one to blow a team away and show a reaction to Arsenal. The opponents weren't a pushover, they smelled blood, had no pressure on them and obviously believed an upset was on the cards.  

A better performance would have been great obviously.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think this is probably accurate. 

3 minutes ago, BUJ said:

Disgraceful and embarrassing performance. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Howe isn't manager next season. Not just on the back of last night either. 

Holy fuck, get in the sea

'Disgraceful and embarrassing' :lol:

Dunno wtf people are watching and/or expecting at times. As has been the case with most of our sub-par performances (barring a couple of genuine stinkers) it was a mixed bag; like the boss said - some good bits, some bad bits. 

I fancied us to win well but it was apparent from the opening blows of the game that we were in for a battle. It's like people have never seen an FA Cup game before. 

If we're disgraceful and embarrassing then we lose that game handsomely. We actually won and deservedly so.