Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I thought he was fucking tripe :lol:

That goal got him a lot of credit - he was poor most of the tournament imo

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I said Southgate should have gone after the last Euros. We’ve gone backwards since then and it’s definitely time to step aside now.

2 years to the WC and we need a fresh approach so that we don’t waste the younger talent in the squad.

Kane, Walker, Trips, Stones and Shaw (maybe) have run their races or will block a progression for the next 2 tournaments.

We need a manager who will drop the front 3 behind Kane and operate with a pool of 4 or 5 players who rotate in based on freshness and opposition. We also need to avoid a repeat of a Kane where we have a number 9 who plays every minute of every game apart from meaningless friendlies. We need variety in the attack.

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

He's just saying this Spain side are not like other winners, hence why it's a missed opportunity.

I thought Spain were great throughout the tournament not just the final.  England were nowhere near them football ability wise.  Ignore the scoreline, England were crap.

Screenshot_20240714_222351_Google.thumb.jpg.390bfaf8044dce1f86cc33758d4c430d.jpg

Collect the set

Pickford: 8.5

Walker: 5.5

Stones: 7

Guehi: 7

Shaw: 8

Rice: 6.5

Maino: 6.5 Palmer: 8.5

Bellingham: 6

Foden: 6

Kane: 3 Watkins: 6

Saka: 6.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

Congrats to Spain and any Spaniards on here. Played a great tournament. 

Can’t be as wasteful on the ball as we were. I can’t remember ever seeing an England side that can play on the deck from back to front like other nations do regularly. A vital component of our game that just isn’t there. 

1 minute ago, geordie_b said:

Didnt need to get out of 3rd gear today in a massively underwhelming tournament.

Any suggestions that they are a great team needs to look at the performances of the other countries first. They could be very good but for me and right now ive no idea.

I thought they did and they didnt have many more gears to go. They arent a patch on the great recent Spanish teams of Xavi, Busquets etc.

2 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Didnt need to get out of 3rd gear today in a massively underwhelming tournament.

Any suggestions that they are a great team needs to look at the performances of the other countries first. They could be very good but for me and right now ive no idea.

Yeah good as Spain have been against the teams they've played, it's just a weak tournament in general. As KI said earlier, the likes of their 2012 team would have dusted them off no bother IMO. They wouldn't have laid a single glove on them. 

It's a mark of the infrastructure in England that (by and large - some exceptions), this is the quality of players produced and they consistently get to the further reaches if tournaments in spite of the fucking shite hawk lickspittles supposedly 'coaching' them. Southgate and Holland, man, they have absolutely FUCK ALL by way of credibility about them.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Screenshot_20240714_222351_Google.thumb.jpg.390bfaf8044dce1f86cc33758d4c430d.jpg

Collect the set

Pickford: 8.5

Walker: 5.5

Stones: 7

Guehi: 7

Shaw: 8

Rice: 6.5

Maino: 6.5 Palmer: 8.5

Bellingham: 6

Foden: 6

Kane: 3 Watkins: 6

Saka: 6.5

Stones was pretty great I thought

Just now, Rich said:

Talking up still being in the game at 80 minutes man. Howeh.

Summed him up that. 

Just now, Rich said:

Talking up still being in the game at 80 minutes man. Howeh.

English mentality. "Still being in the game" as opposed to "controlling" or "dominating" a game.

Even if you take Kane's disingenuous "tired legs" excuse at face value (and you shouldn't), even that is an indictment of not utilising the immensely talented squad well over the course of the tournament.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Can’t believe he got so much game time, thought he was dreadful most games. Gives the ball away so much. 

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Wish his passing was half as good as his media training.

Great moments player for sure, but he doesn't inspire me at all at the level he's supposed to be at. If he's a Ballon D'or candidate then football really has fallen off a cliff.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Spain were a well coached team with a few stand out players. We were a horrendously coached team with endless options to choose from.

Brilliant analysis.

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I feel very disappointed now, like. It's just such a sad ending (presumably) for a manager that has - contrary to 90% of critique - done a brilliant job with the national team. But despite that, I completely accept that he's very much accountable for us probably underachieving in this tournament.

We played well for two halves only and jammied our way through, but still - with 15 minutes left in the whole competition - the trophy was there for us. We surrendered that opportunity in the most miserable way. 

Off the pitch maybe.

done nowt on it.

bottled it every time we've played a decent team.

8 years in and still no idea what our system or style of play is.

too scared to drop big names from the starting 11 and go with form.