St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Could they just shut it to the public but still have trains run through it to make the necessary track adjustments?

If you're going to do that you might as well just keep it open then as you're still going to have to build over it. There's only really a constructional/logistical benefit if you can just fill the whole thing in with concrete. 

As Stifler says the station functions as the line terminus and as such I'm pretty sure it allows the trains to turn round and swap sides. I think you would need to make underground changes to Monument too if you wanted to close St James Metro - which could equally be an issue and expense. Might be wrong like. 

Personally think it would be great to see the station incorporated into an expansion and mixed use development. The station is becoming more of a gateway as that part of the city is developed - but at the moment is a  grubby departure point. Club investment is a great opportunity to instigate positive externalities for the city and things like transport infrastructure.

56 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Might have problems with trains being able to change sides.

They could change sides just after Manors if needs be.  They’ve done it before when St James has been closed. That way they simply can use both platforms at monument for trains going back over the way 

One things for sure the redevelopment of the Gallowgate will be done to the highest standard when it comes about. Personally hope it’s not a mirror image of the Leazes and we can maybe have some huge single tier sweeping stand. 

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

One things for sure the redevelopment of the Gallowgate will be done to the highest standard when it comes about. Personally hope it’s not a mirror image of the Leazes and we can maybe have some huge single tier sweeping stand. 

Issue with a single tier sweep stand (if I've understood what you mean) would mean the closure of it for some while. Liverpools build around and over thing while it continues to be used would be best for us I think 

Why are you guys not just building brand new 75-80k seater stadium?

Stadium expenditure doesn't affect FFP but stadiums contributes to revenue in money generated. Surely any rich owner therefore would just build a big F off staidum and use the ticket sales to generate money for FFP.

1 Billion in London = Spurs stadium, 1 Billion in Newcastle =?

8 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Stadium expenditure doesn't affect FFP but stadiums contributes to revenue in money generated. Surely any rich owner therefore would just build a big F off staidum and use the ticket sales to generate money for FFP.

Because unlike other clubs, our stadium is intricately woven into the city, both historically as well as physically location wise. It’s more important to extend SJP to 60-70k than to build someplace else for a capacity of 80k. The benefits we might get for a slightly bigger capacity would be negated by moving (imo). Plus the owners have already stated they don’t want to move from SJP if at all possible. 

3 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

We have a stadium that’s slap bang in the city centre so it’s an amazing location, that’s why 

8 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

because the owners have said they want to stay 

On 08/04/2023 at 08:16, Whitley mag said:

Let's say they go with the original idea and plant the foundations beyond the metro, obviously that structure is going to be HUGE but I also believe that it would still be level with the rest of the stadium. That means the stand itself would have far less of an incline (like a giant Kop). My question would be would they knock down the whole gallowgate and start again? or would it just be the new upper tier that extends way further back at a different angle? aesthetically that would be a bit weird. If the new tier continued at the same incline as the gallowgate we'd be talking way above level 7 which is probably somewhere just below the troposphere. 

Also the original plans didn't include the Gallowgate West Corner as I believe this was the most problematic area where the metro is concerned underneath. That means the 7000+ had to come from the gallowgate extra tier alone (the leazes top tier has just over 3000 if you don't include the corner, not a lot considering it's mammoth height) 

Just reading some west ham fans on twitter who are chucking there season tickets because of how soulless their ground is. Plenty already have

Would hate that to be us in years to come

11 hours ago, Adam said:

Some dubious capacity figures but interesting non the less. 

Shaka’s Geordie-Trinidadian hybrid accent :lol: 

Who’s the other pundit? Mark McGhee?

7 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

Let's say they go with the original idea and plant the foundations beyond the metro, obviously that structure is going to be HUGE but I also believe that it would still be level with the rest of the stadium. That means the stand itself would have far less of an incline (like a giant Kop). My question would be would they knock down the whole gallowgate and start again? or would it just be the new upper tier that extends way further back at a different angle? aesthetically that would be a bit weird. If the new tier continued at the same incline as the gallowgate we'd be talking way above level 7 which is probably somewhere just below the troposphere. 

Also the original plans didn't include the Gallowgate West Corner as I believe this was the most problematic area where the metro is concerned underneath. That means the 7000+ had to come from the gallowgate extra tier alone (the leazes top tier has just over 3000 if you don't include the corner, not a lot considering it's mammoth height) 

Aye a 3k increase wouldn’t be feasible or worthwhile, I was sure original plans must have included SW corner aswell.

Still think it’s going to take something spectacular and very expensive to get St James anywhere near 65k.

7 hours ago, Mr Pups said:

Surely more than that, isn't it nearer 5,000? The away allocation never goes round the corner and I'm sure we've seen 5k away allocations in the past

11 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Surely more than that, isn't it nearer 5,000? The away allocation never goes round the corner and I'm sure we've seen 5k away allocations in the past

There is 6 straight blocks in level 7 before it turns into a corner and 5 of them are used for a full premier league away allocation which is about 3k so I reckon it would be about 3500