Sam: I'm close to first signing

Guest smoggeordie

Sort the deal out now it can be signed 1st July, silly aint it really, the transfer window shouland open the day after the season ends .

Shouldn't even be one tbh.

Has anyone actually consistently watched him play? Or is he just a 'trendy' signing because apparently Chelsea wanted him in January and he's on a free transfer as well? I seriously have some doubts as to whether he's actually been seen consistently by many people on here. However, saying that, I'll trust Allardyce's judgment and seeing as he's seen Ben Haim in training for awhile, this does look promising.

Sort the deal out now it can be signed 1st July, silly aint it really, the transfer window shouland open the day after the season ends .

Thing is though the seasons finish at all different times around Europe. Our season finished weeks ago but the Dutch only finished yesterday and the Spanish don't finish for another 3 weeks.

http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/latest-sport?articleid=2909461

Sam close to first signing

By Miles Starforth

Newcastle United writer

SAM Allardyce today admitted he was close to a "breakthrough" in the transfer market.

And despite the Newcastle boss hoping to be handed a hefty transfer war chest by prospective new owner, billionaire Mike Ashley, it is two free transfer targets who may be the first new face at St James' Park.

Until the Ashley situation is resolved, Allardyce will not know exactly what budget he has available.

Therefore, it is more likely that the two out-of-contract players on United's radar may be the first new signings on board, with defender Tal Ben Haim and striker Mark Viduka the most realistic targets for now.

Allardyce revealed: "We've already had lots of meetings and talked about future plans for new players here.

"Those talks are continuing and we are close to making a breakthrough in the not-too-distant future.

"Everybody here is working together to take the club forward."

Allardyce has enjoyed a short break in the south of France since his appointment as Glenn Roeder's replacement, but has been in constant contact with events at St James's Park since Ashley bought Sir John Hall's shares.

Israeli international Haim is thought to be more than keen to link up again with Allardyce again, and because his contract with Bolton has expired he is a free agent who is unlikely to return to the Reebok Stadium next term.

The 25-year-old has also been linked with a move to Chelsea, but knows he would be guaranteed a major role in Big Sam's revolution.

And while Allardyce has also been linked with a move for Liverpool striker Peter

Crouch, it is Viduka he is chasing at the moment.

The Australian is out of contract at Middlesbrough, and is also wanted by Portsmouth and West Ham, but the fact that he wouldn't have to move far from his north home could swing the deal in Newcastle's favour.

Meanwhile, United's audacious bid for England superstar David Beckham MAY still go ahead.

This is despite claims from LA Galaxy that the midfielder will not be allowed to return to the Premiership on loan.

Beckham has been recalled to the England squad by Steve McLaren, prompting speculation that he may want a temporary return to English football in order to keep his place in the squad.

And while he has numerous contract obligations in America in order to fulfil his £27m-a-year salary, there is still a chance he could return to these shores for a three-month winter loan when the Major League shuts down in November.

I wish Sam would just shut up and not saying anything about transfers. It'll be like the Roeder situation again 'we are very close to signing someone' and then nothing happens. Every manager should take a look at Bobby Robson who never said anything whilst conducting transfers. He just kept it quiet until it was all done and then said 'here, I've signed this bloke'. That's the way to do things.

Would be chuffed with Viduka, but admittedly don't know a great deal about Ben Haim.

Still, if we're going like-for-like: Viduka for Sibierski + Ben Haim for Bramble, sounds good to me so far.

anyone think Parnaby is a realistic target? Weve been linked with him in the past, and is now a free agent.

I think he is more than realistic, don't know if he is good enough though. Looked good when he first came on the scene but now?

Guest Ridzuan

Great news and it will be greater if it is indeed Ben Haim.I think he is a good defender better than the ones we currenly have at the club apart from Taylor.

I wish Sam would just shut up and not saying anything about transfers. It'll be like the Roeder situation again 'we are very close to signing someone' and then nothing happens. Every manager should take a look at Bobby Robson who never said anything whilst conducting transfers. He just kept it quiet until it was all done and then said 'here, I've signed this bloke'. That's the way to do things.

I cant think of a post that captures the mood of the fans less at this present time. Its a monumentous week, the biggest meeting in the history of the club will occur this week, never has the future been more uncertain and you want people to say nothing about transfers.

I think its very re-assuring to hear that the club is progressing with deals and moving forward despite the uncertainty surrounding the club.

As for comparing to Robson, slightly different when you're chasing Bassedas, Gavilan, Cordone etc and a host of other players that agents hadn't heard of nevermind anyone else.

He does have to come through though, unlike Roeder. It means nowt if he says we're close to signing someone and the thing collapses. Have no reason to doubt him, like! Yet. :lol: