Steve McClaren

Dave

Since Twente his record is pretty poor. Such an underwhelming appointment, he's already shown he's going to be another doormat by taking on Carver, Stone et al. Worrying the same philosophies and idea or more appropriately lack there of will be allowed to remain at the club. Imagine getting a scouting report from John Carver on someone like Remy Cabella.

Normally, I would give anyone coming in the benefit of the doubt, but I remembering telling my wife that Carver wouldn't be that bad, so clearly my judgement is impaired. I don't have anything against McClaren, just utterly disappointed at the lack of ambition.

Since Twente his record is pretty poor. Such an underwhelming appointment, he's already shown he's going to be another doormat by taking on Carver, Stone et al. Worrying the same philosophies and idea or more appropriately lack there of will be allowed to remain at the club. Imagine getting a scouting report from John Carver on someone like Remy Cabella.

What? :lol: Do you honestly believe what you're typing?

How would you summarise his efforts

at Wolfsburg, Forest, Derby and his second spell at Twente?

Wolfsburg, Twente again, Forest and Derby?

I count three complete disasters in four, no?

He didn't do great at both Wolfsburg and the short period at Forest, but his win percentage at both his second stint at Twente and Derby are pretty decent like.

Struggling to understand what you're seeing in his post-Twente career.

He didn't do great at both Wolfsburg and the short period at Forest, but his win percentage at both his second stint at Twente and Derby are pretty decent like.

"Pretty poor" was the term used and I don't see anything there that says otherwise. Derby is the obvious exception where he did well until the collapse but the collapse is ultimately what counts if you don't even manage the play offs.

I'm not a big fan of win percentages. It's meaningless without wider context. His Twente performance was enough for him to resign because he felt it necessary (and fair play to him for that).

Struggling to understand what you're seeing in his post-Twente career.

Definitely read your post as 'Since his Twente record is pretty poor' - Thought it was another post undermining the acheivement of winning the dutch league.

But anyway, he failed in short stints at Wolfsburg and Forest, the others he has done well. Derby have a good squad (shocking defence mind), but Norwich had the best by a mile.

At the very least, he does seem to be pretty good at resigning once he realizes things aren't going to work out.

So if you hate this appointment, I suspect you can at least look forward to another managerial "search" sometime in January. (Which will no doubt preclude any January signings as well.)

Normally, I would give anyone coming in the benefit of the doubt, but I remembering telling my wife that Carver wouldn't be that bad, so clearly my judgement is impaired. I don't have anything against McClaren, just utterly disappointed at the lack of ambition.

Personally I'm no giving him any benefit of the doubt. Which is kind of against my general outlook on life, where I trust until someone does something that loses that trust. For this guy, I'm definitely in the camp I was in with Carver, where I knew it was going to be crap. There is a slight difference here, though as I am sure he will have a spell where people are sucked into thinking, like they were with Pardew, "well he's actually pretty good, I was wrong". There was no chance whatsover of that happening under Carver. 

Anyway another ill advised appointment in a key position, it's what we do, and we seem to continue to do it despite being burned by the experience over and over again.

His collapse at Derby coincided with our interest in him, which suggests he lost focus.

I personally think that had Derby finished in the same position, but there was no outside interference from us, they would have stood by him. I think they let him go because they don't think he's fully committed and his head was turned by the interest we showed (regardless of whether he ultimately turned us down or not).

Personally I'm no giving him any benefit of the doubt. Which is kind of against my general outlook on life, where I trust until someone does something that loses that trust. For this guy, I'm definitely in the camp I was in with Carver, where I knew it was going to be crap. There is a slight difference here, though as I am sure he will have a spell where people are sucked into thinking, like they were with Pardew, "well he's actually pretty good, I was wrong". There was no chance whatsover of that happening under Carver. 

Anyway another ill advised appointment in a key position, it's what we do, and we seem to continue to do it despite being burned by the experience over and over again.

I really think this is a miles better appointment that Pardew. Pardew had been out of the game for a fair while (for a reason, he was shite) and if we start to think "he's actually pretty good" about McClaren, it's not that we've been sucked in, it's because he's actually half decent.

All these things are true:

1. Steve McClaren is a decent coach.

2. Steve McClaren is an uninspiring choice.

3. Newcastle United should be targeting higher-quality candidates than Steve McClaren.

4. Any coach who would accept the terms being offered by the club at this point is by definition an underwhelming choice.

I really think this is a miles better appointment that Pardew. Pardew had been out of the game for a fair while (for a reason, he was shite) and if we start to think "he's actually pretty good" about McClaren, it's not that we've been sucked in, it's because he's actually half decent.

Only about 2-3 months iirc. It just felt like that because he was dossing around in League One like he should be.

Only about 2-3 months iirc. It just felt like that because he was dossing around in League One like he should be.

Was that all it was? For some reason I thought it was a couple of years. God knows where I got that from.

All these things are true:

1. Steve McClaren is a decent coach.

2. Steve McClaren is an uninspiring choice.

3. Newcastle United should be targeting higher-quality candidates than Steve McClaren.

4. Any coach who would accept the terms being offered by the club at this point is by definition an underwhelming choice.

5. Mike Ashley is a vile cunt.

Was that all it was? For some reason I thought it was a couple of years. God knows where I got that from.

Aye, sacked by Saints at the end of August, took our job beginning of December.