Steve McClaren

Dave

Absolute scenes if we appoint Rafa.

That Guardian article is fairly positive if you ignore the significant threat of relegation hanging over us or the fact that it's now mid-March. Not starting this process three weeks ago is the most ridiculous thing of all.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

NUFC LATEST: Steve McClaren waiting to be sacked with Rafa Benitez at the top of club's shortlist to replace him. More to follow @MailSport

As if Benitez is ever coming to nufc.

Where do they get this, if he does he must be so desperate or Fatman has done a total u turn and offered silly money, either way it would have to be short term so he could get rid after he keeps us up, then look for another monkey who he can pay peanuts too.

Why not?

Keep us up and he's boosted his reputation massively.  We go down and everyone knows it's not his fault, he'll leave in the summer

win-win for someone like him

Worked for Shearer :thup:

Oh wait...

"someone like him"

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

NUFC LATEST: Steve McClaren waiting to be sacked with Rafa Benitez at the top of club's shortlist to replace him. More to follow @MailSport

Where do they get this, if he does he must be so desperate or Fatman has done a total u turn and offered silly money, either way it would have to be short term so he could get rid after he keeps us up, then look for another monkey who he can pay peanuts too.

Why not?

Keep us up and he's boosted his reputation massively.  We go down and everyone knows it's not his fault, he'll leave in the summer

Worked for Shearer :thup:

Oh wait...

Nobody thought Shearer was a manager before or after his tenure. Everyone knows Benitez is a very good manager and a proven winner, regardless of what he'd accomplish here in 10 games.

seriously, how fucking awkward and pointless must training have been today? (I mean moreso than usual).

players waiting on the the training ground. McLaren walking out and trying to convey some air of authority.

the players then looking down at their feet, trying to avoid making eye contact and mumbling some half-arsed "morning gaffer".

just amateurish from top to bottom.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

It's that Hope that kills.

I can't believe he hasn't walked. It's fairly degrading not to.

I don't understand this at all.

I'd love him to walk, of course, but he'd be utterly crazy to. If he just sticks around for a few days (possibly hours!) more, he gets a few million quid. I don't care how much I was hated, there's not a job in the universe I wouldn't put up with for a million quid a day. Suggesting that in some way he shouldn't is bonkers.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

Why not?

He's most recently managed Real Madrid. I'm sure that's a good enough selling point without needing 'saved NUFC from relegation when 1 point from safety' on his CV.

Guest Howaythetoon

McClaren's latest comments seem to suggest to me that he feels the players just aren't responding and to be fair to him they aren't. The buck stops with him of course - he simpy isn't good enough - but I'm not going to go too heavy on him given almost 95% of this squad has no heart, no professionalism, leadership or the gumption to at least fucking have a go, if only for their own self interest or pride.

Sissoko I mean has the Euros coming up, he should be busting a gut to try and make the French squad. McClaren is probably too nice and too easy going for them, coupled with a complete lack of charisma and ability to man manage and its proving a recipe for disaster. That and the way this club is run in terms of recruitment. In short he was never the answer, he is and never will be NUFC manager material.

But the people who run this club thought he was. That says it all really. To a man they are absolutely clueless.

Moyes is a good manager but again he's not NUFC material. Rodgers would be interesting long-term, I'd take him even though I think he's false as fuck.

Rafa though... fucking hell man he is one of the best managers in the game. I know loads of LFC fans who would swap him for Klopp tomorrow without even blinking.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

Why not?

He's most recently managed Real Madrid. I'm sure that's a good enough selling point without needing 'saved NUFC from relegation when 1 point from safety' on his CV.

Exactly. And I don't care what people say, if he comes in and relegates us from a position where with 10 to go we need one more point than f***ing Sunderland that will definitely tarnish his reputation. It might be a risk worth taking for him if we make him an offer (financially) he can't refuse, but it's not without risk to his reputation as has been suggested.

I'm reluctant to even engage with the Benitez rumours but brief moments of hope in amongst the soul crushing disappointment are about all we have left, so what the hell...

A manager of that standing could completely change the mindset of the club, demand higher standards throughout and possibly even get Ashley properly engaged and interested, there would be genuine cause for optimism for the first time in years...

I'm reluctant to even engage with the Benitez rumours but brief moments of hope in amongst the soul crushing disappointment are about all we have left, so what the hell...

A manager of that standing could completely change the mindset of the club, demand higher standards throughout and possibly even get Ashley properly engaged and interested, there would be genuine cause for optimism for the first time in years...

The players would certainly listen to him, even if they've never worked for him, they will know of his reputation and that would improve performances without changing anything with the players.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

Why not?

Sam I bet it doesn't happen.

And like I said Ashley would only do it short term, and if he did keep us up, he wouldn't pay the going rate so we would be back to the dregs of footballing society again.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my words.

CraigHope_DM'

Craig Hope

@CraigHope_DM

What a load of bollocks :lol:

Sportsmail understands the former Real Madrid boss has been spoken about in depth by the club’s board and they will use intermediaries to gauge his interest.

So we've spent 72 hours  discussing whether the former Real Madrid manager would be an upgrade for 19th placed Newcastle United and have now sent a carrier pigeon to Liverpool to see what he thinks.

I'm trying to remind myself of that ambitious and inspiring short list of managers they leaked to the press with names like Tuchel, Galtier etc on it.

This Benitez thing is probably the same sort of bull.

Graeme Bailey @GraemeBailey

Exclusive report via @HITCsport from last week remains the case - Rafa Benitez would seriously consider a temporary role at Newcastle.

http://i.imgur.com/4EJf2dO.png

The scenario we've got McClaren waiting for his dismissal whilst we somehow try to convince Benitez to be our manager is an interesting one.

If we have that Berahino cash lying around just give that to him.

tbf Rafa was on BTsport the other week and expressed his desire to return to work specifically in England. You just never know if the terms are good to him.