Steve McClaren

Dave

His major error today was starting Obertan again, Aarons may not be fit enough but Perez must be.

After that, I haven't got any major gripes with him today. I think it's ludicrous to suggest he was in any way complicit in the sending off, that was all Janmaat's stupidity, and I haven't got a problem with shutting up shop and avoiding a thrashing.

Aye it might not win us points but quite glad we didn't get stuffed 4 or 5.

This attitude is vile, mind.

His major error today was starting Obertan again, Aarons may not be fit enough but Perez must be.

After that, I haven't got any major gripes with him today. I think it's ludicrous to suggest he was in any way complicit in the sending off, that was all Janmaat's stupidity, and I haven't got a problem with shutting up shop and avoiding a thrashing.

What would you have done?

The stench of Pardew is still around.

I don't think there was anything offensive about his judgement today. For a start, he was always gonna go with the same team after a decent performance last week.

As for the other contentious points; A - like fuck is he gonna sub his only RB off. B - he went for damage limitation, which appears worrying on the surface given the relentless negativity we've suffered in recent times, but taking this as an individual case, it wasn't a horrific decision. The game is almost certainly gone, so keep it tight and don't concede any more - maybe we'll nick one on the break.

I'm hoping that, at the moment, he's going with functional lineups to engage the lads in a bit of continuity and organisation, before blending our flair players into an established system a few weeks in.

Just got to move on after today. We weren't getting a point out of that the moment Janmaat had his moment of idiocy.

Yeah it's sad what I've been reduced to, but just utterly sick of being embarrassed by my team and having to face everyone at work etc. Happened way too many times over the last few years.

Obertan had two decent shots on target. How many shots on target did we have? The major error was playing two guys in midfield that were happy to let the opposition have the ball without putting any pressure on them

I don't think there was anything offensive about his judgement today. For a start, he was always gonna go with the same team after a decent performance last week.

As for the other contentious points; A - like fuck is he gonna sub his only RB off. B - he went for damage limitation, which appears worrying on the surface given the relentless negativity we've suffered in recent times, but taking this as an individual case, it wasn't a horrific decision. The game is almost certainly gone, so keep it tight and don't concede any more - maybe we'll nick one on the break.

I'm hoping that, at the moment, he's going with functional lineups to engage the lads in a bit of continuity and organisation, before blending our flair players into an established system a few weeks in.

Just got to move on after today. We weren't getting a point out of that the moment Janmaat had his moment of idiocy.

That could easily be a post out of the 11/12 season.

I didn't watch the game, but it appears our midfield two of Colback and Anita with Wijnaldum in an advanced position once again failed to both protect the defence and provide much offensive threat. Baffling when you consider the wealth of other options at his disposal, and that's before we even get to Obertan getting almost two complete games whilst the likes of Ayoze, Aarons, De Jong and Mitrovic are feeding off scraps. Huge warning signs there imo.

That could easily be a post out of the 11/12 season.

Aye - absolutely right - the one where we finished 5th. :lol: I know it was Pardew but that was a pretty decent year.

Obertan had two decent shots on target. How many shots on target did we have? The major error was playing two guys in midfield that were happy to let the opposition have the ball without putting any pressure on them

Are you saying it was a tactical error to not tell Colback and Anita to push on? If so, I'd probably agree although that passed me by during the game. I'm not having the Obertan craic though, there's at least two players on the bench who would've contributed more.

Can't blame him imo.

I do partially, because he has made a few incorrect decisions as it attains to personnel. Not like it would have made a difference, but long term it will.

Talking about today, at 1-0 down with a man sent off for stupidity, I'm not going to blame the manager. His decisions were poor, but the fault is only on one guy. The fullback that on the goal played Gomis onside and then was sent off for pure stupidity.

Can't blame him imo.

I do partially, because he has made a few incorrect decisions as it attains to personnel. Not like it would have made a difference, but long term it will.

Talking about today, at 1-0 down with a man sent off for stupidity, I'm not going to blame the manager. His decisions were poor, but the fault is only on one guy. The fullback that on the goal played Gomis onside and then was sent off for pure stupidity.

:thup: Tbh i'm more concerned about Colback and Anita together, Mitrovic/Aarons/Perez on the bench and Wijnaldum behind the striker than today. He needs to actually show he can learn that certain individuals shouldn't play.

That's my issue right now, hopefully it does show going forward that he can learn from these mistakes.

Guest neesy111

Another worry, just two games in admittedly, are his subs. Not sure what he is thinking at times, but he doesn't seem to read the game as most people would.

Derby fans I met last week said he is tactically useless at changing games.

Are you saying it was a tactical error to not tell Colback and Anita to push on? If so, I'd probably agree although that passed me by during the game. I'm not having the Obertan craic though, there's at least two players on the bench who would've contributed more.

Yes there is two players better than Obertan on our bench in his position but us being shit had more to do with our midfield not putting any pressure on Swansea than Obertan playing

Can't blame him imo.

:thup: Tbh i'm more concerned about Colback and Anita together, Mitrovic/Aarons/Perez on the bench and Wijnaldum behind the striker than today. He needs to actually show he can learn that certain individuals shouldn't play.

That's my issue right now, hopefully it does show going forward that he can learn from these mistakes.

Yeah, I agree. But problem is I believe 90% of the managers in this league would set up like him, because they're all bunch of cowards.

I won't be blaming him for our start. A draw against Saints and a 2-0 defeat to Swansea (even with 11 men) is kinda what you'd expect from a team of our standard. Sad but true these days. Definitely some positive signs, but assuming we don't beat Man U and Arsenal, we'll need to start getting results and fast, nobody wants to see us in the bottom 3 even in August. I'm happy he's here and Pardew ain't.

I'm not blaming him for the results, but i do want him to see him learn from mistakes as the season goes on. If certain players are still starting come Christmas time i'm going to be extremely concerned about his ability to learn and adapt.

Although it's something for the future, as of right now i'm not overly concerned.