Steve McClaren

Dave

I have more confidence of us playing well against Man Utd and Chelsea than against Watford and Norwich as a number of our players give zero fucks about the club any more and will only turn up for the TV and Champions League scouts.

This is not McClarens fault, I think that generally as a club we are fucked.

Really annoys me that people always put  this down to players only giving a fuck against the stronger sides. For years it's been clear that we don't know what to do when the onus is on us to attack. It's really fucking basic stuff tbh. People go on like every game is the same, except some teams are stronger than others. It's no surprise we struggle to break down weaker teams if our best moments are generally around counter attacking stronger teams with pace and guile. Just seems very basic, all this.

:thup: Almost all our good players are suited to playing on the counter attack, its not anything to do with only wanting to play well against good teams

:thup:

Stop playing Sissoko, start playing Aarons. Aarons has proven himself against the best. My main issue with Steve atm.

That and us sitting back against Chelsea 2nd half, which was ridiculous & has likely set a precedent for us to shit ourselves anytime we take the lead now.

Bar that hes doing alright.

Ish. Did well v Liverpool & Man City from what I remember.

The guy has shown he'll test defences anyway, you can see he has talent. Let him run at players. The guy had the best preseason of everyone only to get completely ignored. Hardly a sign of effort getting recognition from the manager.

Ish. Did well v Liverpool & Man City from what I remember.

The guy has shown he'll test defences anyway, you can see he has talent. Let him run at players. The guy had the best preseason of everyone only to get completely ignored. Hardly a sign of effort getting recognition from the manager.

Obertan's usually decent preseason.

The season starts on Sunday, thankfully!

'The first eight games were very difficult, very tough. They proved that. We’ve had setbacks and good performances. It’s kind of been an extended pre-season, and now we have to start playing, our season begins now'

The season starts on Sunday, thankfully!

'The first eight games were very difficult, very tough. They proved that. We’ve had setbacks and good performances. It’s kind of been an extended pre-season, and now we have to start playing, our season begins now'

He's starting to irritate me now like. You can't write off the first 8 games of the season (24 possible points) then say that it was more of an extended pre season. If he did bother to look at the league table he would realise we've already been cut adrift from 17th place. Not doubting we've had a tough start but games against Southampton, Swansea, West Ham and Watford should be classed as winnable, or we should at least be looking to get something from them, but 1 point from the 12 available against them is a pathetic return.

Guest reefatoon

Our season started the same time as everyone else, we just decide to cover over our fucking diabolical start with shit excuses.

Guest reefatoon

It's a good way of looking at things actually. If we get beat on Sunday, I am just going to pretend it is another pre-season game and not look at the league table.  Then everything will be just lovely, as it is in McClaren's little bubble.

He is just trying to calm the pressure as he isn't confident the lads have got their shit together until they have prove it with a win. It's terrible reading, but it's far better than coming out and saying "were still fucked a bit, don't expect a win, it's 50/50 but if we do win it will help build confidence". He'd get slaughtered for that, so he has to come out with what he's said in trying to dampen it down a bit, even if it looks a bit daft.

Problem is with every failure to win now, whether it's easy or hard game, it's making life with McClaren even more untenable. I believe he is a OK coach and should be doing better, and probably would be at a different club, but it's clear the rotten element within the squad, the terribly cheap and unambitious hold from Ashley coupled with the incompetence of Charnley, is creating a mass breeding ground for failure.

It's a daft thing to say regardless. It's incredibly negative in a way that indicates he's already lining his excuses up when we need some real bullish positivity heading into a run of seemingly winnable fixtures. It doesn't even touch Pardew's top 100 worst quotes but it's an ill-advised thing for a manager to say. Will hardly have Norwich quaking in their boots for a start.

That's how I read it, he's getting the excuses in early. Not to mention, it's hardly the biggest vote of confidence for Elliott, shit though he is. Just a stupid thing to say and does nothing for our confidence which is already poor.

Surely it is positive, saying let's not worry about the games we lost, and start afresh? Should he say let's dwell loads on all the beatings we've had?

Just seems a daft thing to come out with. We're 8 games in and we've amassed 3 points from a possible 24. What happens if we lose on Sunday? Does he say the season starts the week after when we'll be a quarter of the way through it?

Surely it is positive, saying let's not worry about the games we lost, and start afresh? Should he say let's dwell loads on all the beatings we've had?

Eh, we're on about the 20 points comment, or I thought we were.  Nothing positive about that comment whatsoever.

Eh, we're on about the 20 points comment, or I thought we were.  Nothing positive about that comment whatsoever.

Soz, thought it was the season starts now thang. Stand down.