Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest GallowgateKev

He was unlucky England?  The only manager to fail to qualify for a major championship in 20 years?  Was he also unlucky at Wolfsburg or Forest?  Even his second spell at Twente and the final part of Derby?  He's had two successes in his career.  Middlesbrough, where they were pretty big spenders, and Twente.

By saying he's World Class you're putting him the category of Mourinho & Ancelotti.  Which means your fishing or utterly mental.

McClaren OUT!!!!!

More than underwhelmed by this but as other have said, better than Carver and potentially Pardew too. If he manages to get the team he wants and focuses on sorting both our defence and attacking style, then fair play.  I don't see him as a long term solution but perhaps someone who MIGHT be able to get more out of the players we have through better coaching etc.

If he is forced to keep the current coaching team then I think this is only going to end one way and that means we are in the same boat next year! He has to be allowed to bring in his own people otherwise the negative, slack and completely unprofessional standards/tactics and ethos established by Pardew and Carver will not be going anywhere.

He was unlucky England?  The only manager to fail to qualify for a major championship in 20 years?  Was he also unlucky at Wolfsburg or Forest?  Even his second spell at Twente and the final part of Derby?  He's had two successes in his career.  Middlesbrough, where they were pretty big spenders, and Twente.

By saying he's World Class you're putting him the category of Mourinho & Ancelotti.  Which means your fishing or utterly mental.

McClaren OUT!!!!!

Now you want him out?  You're a fickle person.

Flicked on Premier League Years 05/06 and within 30 seconds McClaren had a season ticket thrown at him, 5 minutes later his Boro side are beating Mourinho's Chelsea 3-0. That's still the most goals that one of his Chelsea sides have lost by, guess we'll have some decent performances but all of his sides seem to have had an ability to get absolutely dicked on.

He's not as detestable or arrogant as Pardew, or as incompetent as Carver, so it will be better than we've had it for years. Not that it's saying much,

I'll give it 6 months and two early exit from the cups that this opinion is no longer the case.

TBH I don't mind him as a person or a manager, never have. I imagine he's a really knowledgeable guy - I just don't want him as manager.

He does like a bloke who smells of stale baccy though.

Guest firetotheworks

If McClaren's World Class, imagine what Alex Ferguson, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourihno are. Fucking Interplanetary MegaZord Class, I imagine.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I won't class Derby as a failure . He has left them in a better position he found them although he should have at least made the playoffs. Even the highly regarded managers in England have had blips in their career Pochettino in his last season at Espanyol, Koeman at Valencia who was sacked despite winning a trophy in the same season, Martinez relegating Wigan etc.. .As a manager who has never relegated a team I'd say it's more of a risk for him managing us then us appointing him, given our league performances in the past 3 seasons and the resources he will work with .

I won't class Derby as a failure . He has left them in a better position he found them although he should have at least made the playoffs. Even the highly regarded managers in England have had blips in their career Pochettino in his last season at Espanyol, Koeman at Valencia who was sacked despite winning a trophy in the same season, Martinez relegating Wigan etc.. .As a manager who has never relegated a team I'd say it's more of a risk for him managing us then us appointing him, given our league performances in the past 3 seasons and the resources he will work with .

Derby were 10th the season before he took over and were 8th when he was sacked.  Not exactly left them massively up the table after two years.  I'd say his time at Derby wasn't a failure but it wasn't really a success either.  Manager's do have blips but McClaren has more failure than success.

He's not a tragedy of a manager, but his record does not qualify him to manage a club like Newcastle.  The fact that it's been a decade since a Premier League club has given him a job surely emphasises this.

Call me a typical deluded English fanboy, but if as a coach you can't get a team through the qualifying phases to a European Championships with every English player at your disposal, then you should just give up and re-train as a caretaker.

We've been so damaged by Pardew that we will be surprised by how much we will enjoy this guy's stewardship as soon as he does get started.

Carr will convince him to give our signings a run in their correct positions, and it will all come together beautifully.

It's going to be a big romance. Get ready.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Derby were 10th the season before he took over and were 8th when he was sacked.  Not exactly left them massively up the table after two years.  I'd say his time at Derby wasn't a failure but it wasn't really a success either.  Manager's do have blips but McClaren has more failure than success.

He's not a tragedy of a manager, but his record does not qualify him to manage a club like Newcastle.  The fact that it's been a decade since a Premier League club has given him a job surely emphasises this.

:lol: It does sound bad the way you're stating it but when you look in detail they finished 1 point less than the  5th and 14 points better than the 10th team.  That gives a better idea of their progress than only their league position.

Call me a typical deluded English fanboy, but if as a coach you can't get a team through the qualifying phases to a European Championships with every English player at your disposal, then you should just give up and re-train as a caretaker.

But instead he took a Dutch team whose previous 10 league campaigns had finished with them anywhere between 4th and 12th and led them to a runners up spot and then the following season to the title.

Guest GallowgateKev

We could get Mourinho in and it wouldn't matter, the squad is fucking dog shit and we're spending fuck all.