Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

This 'bringing players into the game' nonsense has been blown well out of proportion. He can hit 5 yard passes to Danny Guthrie, fair play.

I dunno, there's just something about him I like. Even on Saturday his touch and awareness appeared to be as good if not better than anybody else on the pitch.

Guest Heneage

He'd get 3 games in the PL before being dropped. He's nowhere near that level, he's not even Championship level, man.

He can't be truly judged till he gets a consistent run of games from the start. Technically he seems ok, it's just his finishing that's poor.

You've said it in the past yourself a dozen times, Kris. He just doesn't look dangerous. 

This wasn't in a team like Blackpool struggling for the ball in the PL, btw. This was in the Championship, playing for the best team by a country mile. He doesn't look like a striker at all.

True. And I can't contest I've said that, I'd just like him to stay as high as possible for a potential fee.

I've said it a million times, you don't put Heavyweights in the ring with Middleweights. Ranger should be nowhere a PL club, it'd do him and us no good whatsoever.

I dont disagree with that. Just you spouting nonsense about him not even looking a striker/being championship level, pointless criticism at this stage. We may see a different player with less pressure on his shoulders & more confidence. Same reason i agree hes not ready for the PL yet.

Guest optimistic nit

This 'bringing players into the game' nonsense has been blown well out of proportion. He can hit 5 yard passes to Danny Guthrie, fair play.

from the games i saw last season, ranger was our best striker, in terms of holding up the ball and linking with the midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/07/29/sol-campbell-hoping-for-more-newcastle-united-signings-61634-26953274/2/

Meanwhile, Nile Ranger’s agent says the 19-year-old’s pre-season form has delayed any decision over his short-term future. Hughton is considering loaning Ranger to a Championship club but a goalscoring performance at Carlisle has raised the striker’s hopes of first-team football on Tyneside.

“He’s doing well in pre-season so there’s no rush at the moment for him to go anywhere,” said agent Nick Rubery. “If after a few games he’s obviously not going to get a look-in we’ll review the situation but first and foremost he wants to play for Newcastle.”

Guest Stephen927

Isn't ready for the step-up to the Premiership, a loan move would be the right thing for him at this time. Didn't make much of an impact in the Championship with a team that won most games, can't see him doing better in a tougher league with a team that's likely to be doing more defending than attacking.

For all of his bravado off the pitch, you're left with a player who's decent at holding up the ball and playing simple passes to his teammates, but when he has a good chance in front of goal, he shits the bed.

Hopefully Chris is just making those comments to up his confidence, and doesn't really plan to keep him here this season.

Huh?

Woops, didn't read the article properly, just scanned over the quotes. Assumed it was Hughton.