Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

I am happy he is not holding a gun in the photo as wouldbe customary. I have no problem with the player acting foolish and wasting money, but it is different if he is being dangerous and reckless.

Me too mate, me too.

I am happy he is not holding a gun in the photo as wouldbe customary. I have no problem with the player acting foolish and wasting money, but it is different if he is being dangerous and reckless.

Jesus wept.

In that particular pose (the first photo), it would be normal to hold one. I actually had to do a double take as I thought he was holding one. I wouldn't expect that from Nile, it was just a quick sense of relief.

White looks s***.

Tend to agree.

Racist.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we probably need him tbh. Shola is a crock and Ranger adds a bit of pace. I also think he could work well in a 4-5-1/Ben Arfa or Nolan playing off the striker as his hold up play and vision is pretty decent (imo).

Well Carroll will start every game when fit, other than that Shola Loven & Best.. out of those three Loven I rate but I would rather see Nile play ahead of Shola or Best.

Its the fact that Nile needs regular football, how much will he get from the bench this season? He will play reserve games but I think he needs better opponents than that.

I think he showed last season that he has real ability, I know he missed a few good chances and some on here got on his case about it.

But he offers so much more for the team than Shola or Best, he has great hold up play, great pace and for a striker is very unselfish too.

Nolan must have loved playing alongside him early on last season.

Wouldn't be surprised if he made a handy foil for Carroll. Was made to think of saying this last night when Dave listed him as a 'Striker' and not a 'Second Forward' in his squad thread. Arguably his single biggest problem is putting the ball in the net, but we know he's able and willing to run around, has skill and at least some awareness of his other team mates.

I admit I haven't seen that much of him compared to reserve watchers etc. but he seems to get unwarranted stick to me (on field - no comment on off field). Plenty of grounds for optimism in my view.