Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Guest Shibby

Totally gutted we didn't win this one. It was there for our taking - just couldn't hold on. F*ucking steven taylor had to go off... when we needed men back to defend just after taking the lead.

Couldn't believe we couldn't beat a bunch of kids. Didn't know half the Manure team. Dissapointed.

Totally gutted we didn't win this one. It was there for our taking - just couldn't hold on. F*ucking steven taylor had to go off... when we needed men back to defend just after taking the lead.

Couldn't believe we couldn't beat a bunch of kids. Didn't know half the Manure team. Dissapointed.

Steady on.

The same back 5 that won the champions league, stronger back 5 than that which beat Barca.

Scholes, Giggs, Rooney. Carrick started.

Firstly,my documented comments about Shay being over the top are totally unfounded-his break seems to have done him the world of good.Secondly,Colo and Taylor ,imo,will develop into a top class cb pairing,i thought both were immense today.Thirdly,the world and his dog knows Charlie isn't a left back,though Keegans nous,ensures his selection,by having Gutierrez,who in essence is Ginola with work rate,but less tricky and pacey,play in front of him.Thought Jonas was superb.Finally though,i thought Danny Guthrie was the best player on the park,his control,passing and reading of a situation were fantastic.This lad will play for England,no doubt about it.Keegan and his bravery deserve kudos also,his brave selection and tactics are something we Geordies havent see since Sir Bobby was sacked.

Im so confident,an emotion i havent felt about us for ages.

spot on

Thinking about Butt's performance...

He made one or two mistakes, gave the ball away a couple of times, and looked a little out of his depth when we tried to move the ball forward......

however...

When man utd had the ball, i thought he was an absolute beast!!! he chased and harried and made some fantastic tackles (bar the last minute foul). He gave his ex-team no respect whatsoever, unlike his previous meetings with them.

Glad to see him get stuck in, and it feels as if he has actually developed an affinity for NUFC, and plays for the shirt with some pride.

He may be lacking in some areas due to his age, but he is a fine example of a model professional footballer. His attitude could be the key to developing Danny Guthrie, who looks to have the whole lot in his locker, and is one for now and the future

Thinking about Butt's performance...

He made one or two mistakes, gave the ball away a couple of times, and looked a little out of his depth when we tried to move the ball forward......

however...

When man utd had the ball, i thought he was an absolute beast!!! he chased and harried and made some fantastic tackles (bar the last minute foul). He gave his ex-team no respect whatsoever, unlike his previous meetings with them.

Glad to see him get stuck in, and it feels as if he has actually developed an affinity for NUFC, and plays for the shirt with some pride.

He may be lacking in some areas due to his age, but he is a fine example of a model professional footballer. His attitude could be the key to developing Danny Guthrie, who looks to have the whole lot in his locker, and is one for now and the future

I'd kind of say a similar thing, but with a negative take on it. Butt looks more comfortable when the opposition has the ball, but actually the DM in any side tends to get a lot of possession. If he can use the ball well, that's a big asset, and that's what Butt is lacking.

On another take, a round of applause to Wise and co for recruiting what looks like three very good players? I'm sure they'd be taking the blame if they'd turned out otherwise.

I assume that's a piss-take?

But still, not heard of Van Der Sar, Vidic, Brown, Evra, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney? I've been told a couple of them are canny players.

I assume that's a piss-take?

But still, not heard of Van Der Sar, Vidic, Brown, Evra, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick and Rooney? I've been told a couple of them are canny players.

assumption is the mother of all fuck ups  :pow:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Man U will put that line up out against other temas this season even when they have evryone back

Back 5 - Their strongest

Midfield - Scholes, giggs, carrick, fletcher

forward - Rooney, Campbell

All first 11 players apart from the two highlighted will start most games this year. The 2 highlighted will also play their fair share

Guest optimistic nit

thats what i said to my manuinted freinds watching it.

they were short of tevez and ronaldo thats it (and carrick when he went off).

I'd kind of say a similar thing, but with a negative take on it. Butt looks more comfortable when the opposition has the ball, but actually the DM in any side tends to get a lot of possession. If he can use the ball well, that's a big asset, and that's what Butt is lacking.

On another take, a round of applause to Wise and co for recruiting what looks like three very good players? I'm sure they'd be taking the blame if they'd turned out otherwise.

I agree completely, Butt's saving grace is that he can tackle well and harries well, but if we are to progress we need a DM who can actually pass the ball and who is more positive. Butt's experience is also an advantage but he's too slow and his passing is too limited, we need a cutting edge in the middle of the park.

Guthries passing and ability to dictate the tempo is amazing for his age and his experience, I think Keegan just may have signed another Rob/Gary!!!!!!!! O0

I agree completely, Butt's saving grace is that he can tackle well and harries well, but if we are to progress we need a DM who can actually pass the ball and who is more positive. Butt's experience is also an advantage but he's too slow and his passing is too limited, we need a cutting edge in the middle of the park.

Guthries passing and ability to dictate the tempo is amazing for his age and his experience, I think Keegan just may have signed another Rob/Gary!!!!!!!! O0

Agree with that, Butt almost cost us a point a couple of times with his slowness in reactions and giving the ball away.

Guthrie looks like a great prospect

The best performance I have seen from a Newcastle side at OT for years ; the whole display can be summed up in 2 words - TEAM PERFORMANCE, which has been sadly lacking from Newcastle sides over the past 4 years.

There was no fear in the side, and everyone worked for each other, which is vital if you want to take anything from Man Ure - they are a hard-working side as well as a skilful one, so you HAVE to compete...too many Newcastle teams have gone there expecting to lose over the years, and this was totally different.

After a slightly shaky start, the passing improved to a degree where the side were even making Man U chase for the ball on their own pitch, and the running OFF the ball was FAR better than anything we saw last season, except towards the end ; long, aimless punts were thankfully very few, unlike when  Allardyce was in charge.

The new guys all did well - Gutierrez was a revelation, and showed great capacity to track back as well as attack,,which he did with purpose and skill ; Coloccini looked a class defender, comfortable on the ball and read the game very well - should be a good acquistion when he has more time to train with the rest of the side, and Guthrie worked his socks off...

Milner looks far happier in a more central role, and his ability to turn and hold the ball was vital, but everyone ran & worked for each other.

All in all, a great and deserved result - we are still thin on the ground and WILL start to struggle if we get many injuries, but if the squad can be strengthened before 31st, we look as if we could have a surprisingly-good season..

Early days, but well-worth watching and the best comment on the side's performance was the way the Prawn Sandwich Brigade(as Keane calls his ex-fans!)started the game by singing the inevitable 'Cheer Up KK' song, and were totally silent by midway through the second half....!!!

MAGIC STUFF !!

started the game by singing the inevitable 'Cheer Up KK' song

Got that sung at me by around 10 different people sat in my toon top at the service station on my way home yesterday.

s**** football team that drew 1-1 on their own turf hey.  O0

anyone mentioned that vidic should have been sent off for that foulf on gutierrez. he was the last man and gutierrez would have been in on goal.

when it happened all i could think was "just outside the box...will the ref give a pen or free kick". never crossed my mind (though i should have known better) that we'd get nowt for it.

anyone mentioned that vidic should have been sent off for that foulf on gutierrez. he was the last man and gutierrez would have been in on goal.

when it happened all i could think was "just outside the box...will the ref give a pen or free kick". never crossed my mind (though i should have known better) that we'd get nowt for it.

The t*** bottled it though

Somethings got to be done about how many biased decisions man u get their way, it's sickening at times

Loved how Rio & Giggs were bickering loads when it wasn't going their way.

Anyone else noticed how few yellow cards we've been getting since Keegan got us hitting a bit of form? Fair Play Table here we come! :lol:

Loved how Rio & Giggs were bickering loads when it wasn't going their way.

Anyone else noticed how few yellow cards we've been getting since Keegan got us hitting a bit of form? Fair Play Table here we come! :lol:

i can gurantee you kk, will be looking towards the top of a league, other than the fair play league.... :thup:

Now im glad that we've already played Man Utd away. Especially considering how this game ended and how we performed.

Gives us a MASSIVE boost of confidence for the season ahead.

Cant wait for the next game....