James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it 9M to us and 3M to Leeds for the sell on?

If they had a 25% clause then yes, I'm not convinced they did, but its certainly possible.  It all comes from Ken Bates rambling on about a player they have a sell on clause for who was likely to move soon.  People have assumed its Milner, which is a fair assumption, but given its the transfer season it could potentially be any of a clutch of ex Leeds players (Lennon ect).

I also agree with what someone said earlier about the initial fee, it was £3.5 million rising to £5 million on bonuses, considering he never played for England or in the Champions League there's no chance we paid the full £5 million, more like £4 million or so.

Leeds fans say Spurs bought out his sell on fee when they were in administration.

Also if they do have a 25% sell on fee then it would likely be 25% of £8.4 million.

If they had a 25% clause then yes, I'm not convinced they did, but its certainly possible.  It all comes from Ken Bates rambling on about a player they have a sell on clause for who was likely to move soon.  People have assumed its Milner, which is a fair assumption, but given its the transfer season it could potentially be any of a clutch of ex Leeds players (Lennon ect).

I also agree with what someone said earlier about the initial fee, it was £3.5 million rising to £5 million on bonuses, considering he never played for England or in the Champions League there's no chance we paid the full £5 million, more like £4 million or so.

Leeds fans say Spurs bought out his sell on fee when they were in administration.

Also if they do have a 25% sell on fee then it would likely be 25% of £8.4 million.

Why would Spurs buy out Milners sell on fee?

I know alot of people are pleased to see milner gone, and that we've got 12million, but i think alot are missing the point

in order to be a succesful team in the premier league, you need depth, you need milners in your squad, people who work hard

look at aston villa,they hardly NEED him ,they are just adding to the depth of the team, adding to other young players such as ashley young

ok he might not of been a fantastic player jimmy, but if we are going to challenge the top 8 at least, you need people like him in your squad, 12million or not, as keegan said the funding was already there even if he didnt leave, i belive this to be a poor decision as it leaves us further bare bones and putting more pressure to sign a replacement

so yeah, we got more than hes probebly valued, but at this level if you want to hit the top 8, top 6 etc, i think you really need to keep hold of players like milner

Lennon's you idiot.

Lennon's you idiot.

They we talking about the Milner sell on fee £9m to us £3 to Leeds.

Sorry pissed

I know alot of people are pleased to see milner gone, and that we've got 12million, but i think alot are missing the point

in order to be a succesful team in the premier league, you need depth, you need milners in your squad, people who work hard

look at aston villa,they hardly NEED him ,they are just adding to the depth of the team, adding to other young players such as ashley young

ok he might not of been a fantastic player jimmy, but if we are going to challenge the top 8 at least, you need people like him in your squad, 12million or not, as keegan said the funding was already there even if he didnt leave, i belive this to be a poor decision as it leaves us further bare bones and putting more pressure to sign a replacement

so yeah, we got more than hes probebly valued, but at this level if you want to hit the top 8, top 6 etc, i think you really need to keep hold of players like milner

he's a grafter, but his end product is rank. he has also shown himself to be a greedy bastard who wants to come and try and live in the real world.

Lennon's you idiot.

They we talking about the Milner sell on fee £9m to us £3 to Leeds.

Sorry pissed

I'll let you off if you've had a few. O0

The writing on that .com site is of an excellent standard.

They've got this one wrong though, I frequently feel moved to defend them on here from irrational hatred but don't agree with this article at all.

Summed up succinctly by tmonkey :

There's not much to indicate that there's anything wrong with whats going on. If we're judging things on Keegan's first spell here, then by the same logicc we could say that James Milner is not a Keegan player in any way, shape or form - Keegan wont want grafters in attacking positions, when given money to spend he went for the Gillespie's, Ginola's and Apsrilla's in those positions - attacking players with pace or great skill. Keegan was a flair player himself, and I think he has a preferrence for what a good attacking player needs to have. Added to which, he'd have noted how much the performances improved last season when Milner, Duff and Smith were out of the side - that spell would have opened his eyes as to who needed to be shipped out because they werent contributing to what matters for their respective positions - assists and goals.

.coms slant on things takes all that away from Keegan and leaves him a hapless victim whilst advocating we keep people due to having a good workrate and a clean nose.

The quote "including the manager's diminished influence this time around" surely proves that they've lost the plot!

How can they come to that conclusion when Keegan has said categorically that it was his decision to sell Milner, and that he's taken that decision for the good of the club.

The lads on .com should know as well as any Newcastle fan of the last 20 years that Keegan will never back down to anyone if he thinks he's right, and I don't see that situation ever changing.

In fact I take the opposite view to theirs in that I believe Keegan's influence is growing within the club with each good result and good performance that his team delivers. confidence in his ability to make something great happen at NUFC grows, just as it did first time around.

Some people have been listening to Souness to much, in saying we should have kept him cos he was hard working, no point being hard working if you have no end product(see Alan Smith,Scott Parker etc)

I asked this before, but isnt the 12m dependent on a number of add ons?

In which case, I'm assuming that to have achieved those add ons, he'll have to have done well for us?

no idea, but really dont see why anyone should be arsed about what he cost, we are both owened by billionaires, its not likely to effect either clubs future spending

In which case, I'm assuming that to have achieved those add ons, he'll have to have done well for us?

no idea, but really dont see why anyone should be arsed about what he cost, we are both owened by billionaires, its not likely to effect either clubs future spending

:lol:

:lol:

I honestly dont think it makes a diffrence, of corse you want to get as much as possible and 12m is great, but dont think it will change anything transfer wise for us, were clearly trying to buy quality players clubs dont want to sell rather than rejects that clubs are offering out ie:Chimbonda,Healy,Diouf etc

Only .com have mentioned add ons and they really don't have a clue, just makes their 'rant' sound better.

Guest microbar

The only depth ashley is interested in is the depth of the notes in his wallet.

We are now officially a selling club,With no ambition,

Back to the dark days of lord westwood,

Keegan would have walked away from newcastle if he didint need the money.

Oh be quiet man.

:idiot2:

Is it me or is this thing getting blown completely out of proportion?

£12m minus one player

or

James Milner

I know which one i'd like.

I know we are pretty short on the RW but if Keegan didnt belive he had any options there it wouldnt on gone through - plus people seem to be underplaying the fact that monday night is probably the best time to do business - every year every fan asks why the club couldnt do  the signings that they make at deadline earlier in the window and its never a coicindent that the same thing happens year on year.

Its just the nature of the beast.

West ham ended up with Tevez and Mashcerano on deadline, we ended up with 4? players when Roeder was in charge on deadline day.....things will happen, you can guarantuee that. The idea that come deadline day, if we re already in negotiations with a club it means they are ready to sell and if they are ready to do that, then unless we fuck up badly or you get some freak incidenct then generally speaking the player is as good as ours. the dealine acts to force that through.

Sit tight  - persoanlly im extremely confident (not ITK).