Rumours of yet more Keegan & Ashley talks to come...

Nicky

This whole thing is just crap now. We, the supporters repeatedly get punched in the gut time after time after false dawn after false dawn. Mike Ashley is not a football man, he is neither a Newcastle man. He will never understand how to run a football club, nevermind our own.

He has brought his mates in for a helping hand and this includes Wise, a man whose position controls transfers and lessens the manager's authority. If he is telling me that a man who managed Leeds in a crap division for a very brief time and captained an average Chelsea for a few years is a better judge of player than Kevin Keegan who brought Shearer, Ferdinand, Lee, Batty, Ginola, Tino, Gillespie, Albert etc. and with it the most exciting football for years and finishes of 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd with Champions League football after saving us from the brink of old division 3 in a matter of 5 years - then he is a bigger fool than I thought.

Thing is though, he has had the choice twice now over who he wants at this football club and both times it has been Wise over Keegan. Keegan would be back here in a shot if he had transfers and no DoF over him.  Ashley is not a football man but he is no mug and he needs to take the sting out of the venom from the fans. A publicty stunt like this appearing to chase Keegan will work for a while until what?? We bring in one of Poyet, Wise, Ince and the like. Ashley has most likely made compromises to get Keegan back because his 'Business' - NUFC, needs Keegan to get the customers - us,  back on his side. I don't know what the hell to expect next, but the only thing I want now is 3 points against Hull City. In an ideal world for me, Ashley will be gone soon, but for some reason i feel that will take some time!

This whole thing is just crap now. We, the supporters repeatedly get punched in the gut time after time after false dawn after false dawn. Mike Ashley is not a football man, he is neither a Newcastle man. He will never understand how to run a football club, nevermind our own.

He has brought his mates in for a helping hand and this includes Wise, a man whose position controls transfers and lessens the manager's authority. If he is telling me that a man who managed Leeds in a crap division for a very brief time and captained an average Chelsea for a few years is a better judge of player than Kevin Keegan who brought Shearer, Ferdinand, Lee, Batty, Ginola, Tino, Gillespie, Albert etc. and with it the most exciting football for years and finishes of 3rd, 6th, 2nd and 2nd with Champions League football after saving us from the brink of old division 3 in a matter of 5 years - then he is a bigger fool than I thought.

Thing is though, he has had the choice twice now over who he wants at this football club and both times it has been Wise over Keegan. Keegan would be back here in a shot if he had transfers and no DoF over him.  Ashley is not a football man but he is no mug and he needs to take the sting out of the venom from the fans. A publicty stunt like this appearing to chase Keegan will work for a while until what?? We bring in one of Poyet, Wise, Ince and the like. Ashley has most likely made compromises to get Keegan back because his 'Business' - NUFC, needs Keegan to get the customers - us,  back on his side. I don't know what the hell to expect next, but the only thing I want now is 3 points against Hull City. In an ideal world for me, Ashley will be gone soon, but for some reason i feel that will take some time!

That's probably your best post on here.   :clap:

That's probably your best post on here.   :clap:

Sarcy bassa!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2827688/Mike-Ashley-in-right-carry-on-at-Newcastles-Sid-James-Park---Football.html

Mike Ashley in right carry on at Newcastle's Sid James’ Park

One of Kevin Keegan’s former team-mates, Chris Waddle, has recently taken to referring to Newcastle United’s home as Sid James’ Park such has been the carry on there.

Last Updated: 12:28AM BST 13 Sep 2008

Mike Ashley in right carry on at Newcastle's Sid James? Park

Regretful: Mike Ashley appears to acknowledge it was a wrong move allowing Kevin Keegan to leave Photo: PA

Even by St James’ crazy standards, Carry On Keegan would have been too extraordinary a spectacle.

Yesterday’s meeting between Keegan and Mike Ashley, and the bookmakers’ subsequent decision to suspend all betting on Keegan returning, briefly lifted spirits in Newcastle. Then, the League Managers’ Association released their deflating statement that “the discussion failed to reach a satisfactory conclusion’’.

On hearing about the London talks, the immediate temptation had been to take a cynical slant on Ashley’s motives. Newcastle’s owner could simply have been seeking to take the heat out of the protests planned by fans against him before today’s match with Hull City.

Having joined supporters regularly in the stands, Ashley would hardly relish a role reversal and an enraged Toon Army invading his directors’ box. Now he can be depicted as the peace-broker, the man who sought to stop King Kev abdicating. Whether the Gallowgate believe that remains to be seen, particularly as they know that no more talks are planned. Little Dennis Wise is proving too large a stumbling block.

Sceptics will also muse over the likelihood that Ashley is considering selling Newcastle. Civil war, and the loss of the fans’ talisman, could deter potential bidders, including a rumoured Indian consortium. Why buy a club where the fans are in revolt? Or in Ashley’s parlance, a business where the customers are complaining? Ashley became a billionaire by making shrewd moves. Letting Mr Charisma leave was not one of them.

For a smart businessman, Ashley has made some desperately naive decisions at Newcastle, primarily in thinking that Keegan and Wise, the executive director (football), could work in harmony. Theirs was a personality clash as well as a culture clash. If Ashley had really been keen for Carry On Keegan to become reality, then he would have shown Wise the door last night.

If Keegan made ludicrous requests, like asking to break the bank for Frank Lampard, then Ashley could legitimately have intervened. But to bring players in without the manager’s knowledge, as seemingly happened with Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Xisco, was a recipe for first dissent and then disaster. If Ashley had relented over his controversial transfer policy, then Keegan might have considered making a comeback.

Wise symbolises boardroom control over what should be the manager’s domain. No wonder the Newcastle fans loathe him. The Premier League, let alone Sid James’ Park, is a poorer place without Keegan but with Wise.

Noone knows what has gone on, but another article bashing Wise's role at the club is always comforting to read.

i believe Ashley will wear his king kev shirt today, just to show the fans he wants kev back as well, we'll have to wait and see, i have a feeling we havent heard the last of this and keegan will be back..

I agree with the sentiment no-one with a sane mind would pick Wise over Keegan for judging a players character/worth/potential.

But do you really think any of those players we astounding finds? Albert and Ginola maybe although neither were unknown. Keegan isnt used to working with a budget at all his clubs he was given more money than anyone else around him, he only faultered at Man City when they stepped up to the premiership into a more level playing field.

Wise's role is supposed to be about co-ordinating the scouting though isnt it, compiling the lists using his contacts/scouts to get younger players into the team and finding players for the manger in the first team.

I think Ashley has decided Wise/Jimenez/Vetere etc and their contacts are more valuable than Keegan. In turn he underestimates how valuable Keegan can be to the club, it will be next to impossible to find someone with his knowledge and respect. If however he does really believe in the system then a subdued, hands tied Keegan with no war chest just wont work, so we should move on and find the right person to fit with system.

I agree with the sentiment no-one with a sane mind would pick Wise over Keegan for judging a players character/worth/potential.

But do you really think any of those players we astounding finds? Albert and Ginola maybe although neither were unknown. Keegan isnt used to working with a budget at all his clubs he was given more money than anyone else around him, he only faultered at Man City when they stepped up to the premiership into a more level playing field.

Wise's role is supposed to be about co-ordinating the scouting though isnt it, compiling the lists using his contacts/scouts to get younger players into the team and finding players for the manger in the first team.

I think Ashley has decided Wise/Jimenez/Vetere etc and their contacts are more valuable than Keegan. In turn he underestimates how valuable Keegan can be to the club, it will be next to impossible to find someone with his knowledge and respect. If however he does really believe in the system then a subdued, hands tied Keegan with no war chest just wont work, so we should move on and find the right person to fit with system.

If Wise was responsible for bringing in Colo, Guthrie, Jonas and Xisco, and Keegan didn't want them, I'd say it was Wise who was doing the better job.

Hopes dashed yet again.

Only remaining idea to hang on to, is that KK and Ashley have further talks planned, possibly this morning.

Agree with what a couple have said - when this meeting was arranged, KK must have wanted to come back, and Ashley must want KK back. But, for nothing to be agreed is strange.

I suppose they arent gonna announce anything until its certain though, and the LMA statement doesnt totally rule out a return.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Mike Ashley the recluse! Never heard so much bollox in my life

The guy is a publicity whore of the highest order.

Dont disturb KK from his well earned retirement again you overweight, chavtastic prick, until you have something worth saying

Why does someone have to have leaked it?  Completely improbable that someone with the press was in london and saw them?

not completly improbable but most times these "chance" spottings occur,they aren'r chance at all...if you get my drift ?

i believe Ashley will wear his king kev shirt today, just to show the fans he wants kev back as well, we'll have to wait and see, i have a feeling we havent heard the last of this and keegan will be back..

im fairly sure Ashley isnt at the game today.

LMA made a short press release at 10pm to say that no satisfactory conclusion was reached. Apparently no further talks planned.

KK has always got on well with MA and so seeing him face to face is no surprise. I think everyone was amazed that MA stayed in the USA when it all blew up but maybe he wanted the Board to take the flak.

If KK is threatening unfair dismissal then MA is bound to have to listen to KK's grievance against the Board. He may have hoped to persuade MA into some form of compromise but this obviously hasn't happened.

For all KK's historic success in the transfer market his record since beimg at SJP first time round is mixed at best. If Wise / Jimenez were instrumental in bringing in Guti and Colo then it seems logical to back them with Xisco and Gonzalez. I think the Board are happier with Enrique as LB than KK is and view Zog/Bassong as reasonable cover. Ashley is backing the Board to spend his money. I'm happy with the quality of the signings from what I've seen but wish there had been a couple more top players.

On top of this the Club alledgedly tried to sell Owen and Barton on deadline day. I personally think this was the big issue even if the above was the straw that broke the camel. KK was quite clear from the start of the summer that he wanted Owen's contract sorted. I don't think the Board rate Owen as highly and clearly dragged the contract discussions on. Even at the death the press knew about the improved contract offer before MO did. Must be the only pro-active press release of the summer. I blame the Board for this - Owen should have had a new contract in June or else KK should have been told there was to be no new contract and any xfer offers would be considered. Neither happened. I think KKs frustration with this lack of clarity and his lack of input was the real dispute.

I don't think MA wants KK to go but equally he is happy with the existing transfer arrangements. I think that if the club want a coach/manager then KK is the wrong person and that we should move on. Equally if this is the arrangement then Wise / Jimenez / Llambias need to start communicating with the public directly and not hide behind the manager. Llambias needs to get everyone working as a team......they only appear to speak in a crisis. This guy has made no impression so far and Mort is clearly missed.

Can't see how this is going to end without tears all round. Maybe a lucky run in the League cup can save the season.

Guest afternoonfix

Indeed, the cynical view would be that, with so much anger on Tyneside directed at the board, the perfect way to soothe things would be to leak an attempt to bring Keegan back in the hope it paints the club in a more favourable light.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/13/ashley-and-keegan-talks-aimed-at-shock-return-61634-21809271/