Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/11/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

JFK is giving it large on the ref costing us. But on another day Shola's goal could have easily been given offside tbh. It's always a seriously ugly game at Craven Cottage but there was more football played today than in others I've seen there (last year anyone?). We  deserved to get something from the game today though....

Everyone is blaming Cacapa but in a defence that talks to one another someone (Given, Enrique) would shout at him to leave the ball alone and the first goal does not happen. 

So the header itself was fine, then?

JFK is giving it large on the ref costing us. But on another day Shola's goal could have easily been given offside tbh. It's always a seriously ugly game at Craven Cottage but there was more football played today than in others I've seen there (last year anyone?). We  deserved to get something from the game today though....

Everyone is blaming Cacapa but in a defence that talks to one another someone (Given, Enrique) would shout at him to leave the ball alone and the first goal does not happen. 

It looked like Colo had got a call, perhaps off Cacapa who was planning to deal with it?

Spot on, it looked like Cacapa has made the call that he is dealing with it. Just a shame it bounced off curly tots.

The fact that we almost constantly concede first is making life extremely difficult for us this season. Am i right in thinking we've only scored first in 3 games this season- Man Utd, Bolton and Villa?

That and our inability to pick up wins away from home.

The fact that we almost constantly concede first is making life extremely difficult for us this season. Am i right in thinking we've only scored first in 3 games this season- Man Utd, Bolton and Villa?

.....especially in London. The whole London curse is starting again, didn't we go through like a million game in a row run without winning against a London club (at their home turf) a few years back?

13 Man City     12  4  1  7  24-20   13

18 Newcastle    12  3  3  6  15-20   12

we shoudnt jump the ship just yet, we are not the only one with problems

When you consider our next game is at home, and theres is away (albeit at Hull) I'd be very worried if I was Mark Hughes, he'll be on te dole in no time

.....especially in London. The whole London curse is starting again, didn't we go through like a million game in a row run without winning against a London club (at their home turf) a few years back?

Didn't we beat Spurs away (in London) the last two seasons?

about the penalty--i've watched 3 times in super slow motion thanks to the miracle of DVR technology, and to me it looks like AJ is going over before any contact is made.  i wouldn't say, "never a penalty", but i can sure see how he gets his reputation as a diver. 

watching motd right now, Cacapa is even worse than I remembered. He is literally f***ing up in some form on EVERY Fulham attack.

I decided not to watch in case Lawrenson was wanking himself silly and pointing out every one of Cacapa's mistakes.

I've saw the penalty after I got in from work a few times and firstly Johnson nudges Cacapa in the back, which could have been a free kick and Johnson goes over before there is any contact. He always seems to win penalties.

Playing Cacapa today was a big mistake by Kinnear.  He's barely played and he's weak at the best of times, Bassong might not be the most experienced but he's big strong and quick, why on earth didn't he start??

Today was just one of those days that Newcastle should forget. Aside from a period of domination at the start of the 2nd half, until the penalty (see below), it was a fairly insipid performance. But, this needn't be a huge blow.

It's a setback, yeah, but with the 2 wins preceding this, although some momentum may have been lost, it doesn't suddenly shatter the season. With Wigan at home next week, there is an ideal chance to get back to winning ways at the first time of asking. Not saying it will be a simple win, but certainly a likely one, if some issues can be addressed.

Taylor was a miss. Aye, I said that. I don't want to blame the defeat on Cacapa (Cashhaapa, according to Jonathan Pearce), but the first one has to be blamed on him. The header was poor, yes, but if he had been aware of what was around him in the first place, he would know that it was safe to leave it. Given perhaps should have taken control of the situation more (his command of the penalty area is something that he needs to improve), but I still think Cacapa should have been more aware.

The robust, industrious midfield that was the cornerstone of the 2 previous victories just wasn't there. Butt and Barton not only seemed to be 2nd best to the impressive Bullard and Murphy, but didn't really connect with each other, which in turn gave further encouragement to Fulham to take the ascendancy.

The penalty? Well, in today's world, it is a penalty. Johnson seems to have developed a half-dive, half-legit-fall technique. This means; he makes no effort to get out the way of a challenge from the defender and goes over it. But, on the other hand, the defender (Colo) was at fault for sticking his leg out, inviting Johnson to take a tumble. Wouldn't call him a diver in the Gerrard sense, but he goes over easily, aye.

So where do Newcastle go now? Well, there's no need to panic. Take a deep breath, get over today and move onto a big game next weekend, and one that if the team can produce a performance of the level of the 1st half against WBA, or the 2nd half against Villa, will most likely end in the 3 points staying on Tyneside.

Deserved fuck all IMO, I thought we were very poor first half, we had a very good spell for around 20 minutes where we could have gone on to win it but the penalty completely deflated us. I still think Coloccini was our best player despite the penalty, looked at ease with everything, Barton and Butt had good games also, everyone else were shit barring Given.

was the jonas subbing a tactical move or injury ?

(didn't see the game and only heard bits of it)

Tactical, he had a pretty poor game today tbh, gave the ball away far too often.

He had a poor game by his standards but he was still better than Duff.