Derek Llambeezy

Willow

Guest diddimz

Trying to say that Llambias wanted the shoe string budget on players, even if they werent Carr's first choice. That makes the whole situation sound almost tolerable, until you remember its JFK now.

Any bloke who says "you dont know how nasty we can be" to his own fans. Well he can fuck off, JFK or not i'm glad to see the back of him.

Spot on. I never forget that line when considering the machinations of the incumbent regime.

Any bloke who says "you dont know how nasty we can be" to his own fans. Well he can fuck off, JFK or not i'm glad to see the back of him.

Spot on. I never forget that line when considering the machinations of the incumbent regime.

That line was in reference to how we negotiate with other clubs wasn't it?

Not to how we treat the fans? Llambias actually did some decent work in terms of fan engagement.

That line was in reference to how we negotiate with other clubs wasn't it?

Not to how we treat the fans? Llambias actually did some decent work in terms of fan engagement.

“With Chris, he couldn’t cope with where we are mentally. We are aggressive. You need to be aggressive. I don’t want a manager below me who can’t argue. You guys don’t understand how f****** horrible we can be.”

Such a shame we can't fully celebrate his resignation without any reservations.

Derek 'you don't know how nasty we can be' Llambias and Joe 'I'm more intelligent than them' Kinnear.

What will be Derek Llambias' legacy at Newcastle United?

by Mark Douglas, The JournalJun 20 2013Comment (1)

THE irony is that Derek Llambias leaves Newcastle United at precisely the moment when he was needed the most.

As managing director of United, he has been a forceful presence these last four years. Unvarnished, spiteful and contradictory he might have been, but by the end there did seem to be a management philosophy in place that lent an air of security and consistency to the club.

That agents who once saw Newcastle as a potentially easy ride for a client past his sell-by date no longer bothered to call was an achievement. So too were the financials that he proudly proclaimed as “boring” back in March. Thanks in part to Mike Ashley’s interest-free loans, the balance sheet was starting to look very healthy indeed.

He is also the man whose brinkmanship with Liverpool banked Newcastle an incredible – and game changing – £35m fee for Andy Carroll.

United had a management structure where roles were clear and authority delineated. There might have been tension between Alan Pardew and Graham Carr over certain players but it felt safe: there was an element of permanence about it. He enthusiastically trumpeted the eight-year deals which were to give “stability” to the club – although that may have been responsible for his downfall, with Ashley locked into them but wanting change at the top.

The worry on Tyneside yesterday was that his resignation created chaos at the top – not necessarily that they had lost a universally popular man.

Detractors rightly point to the deals that got away on account of his inflexibility. Newcastle’s manager Pardew has always been close to Llambias but even he was heard to bemoan the MD’s desire to get the “perfect deal” when United desperately needed a new striker in the 2011/12 season. It wasn’t until January that they got a new number nine, when the club nipped back in to get Papiss Cisse from Freiburg.

The treatment of Chris Hughton wasn’t particularly smart either – along with the bizarre decisions taken in the season that ended with Newcastle’s calamitous relegation. That awful campaign, when United made incorrect call after incorrect call, was the nadir of his stewardship.

But Llambias deserves credit for the hard negotiations that helped United recruit a string of gems unearthed by Carr. Yohan Cabaye (or is it Kebab these days?) was spirited away from Lyon for a song and Hatem Ben Arfa was another steal. That was canny negotiating that was admired by other clubs. Most of the players signed on his watch have appreciated significantly in value.

It is true to say that supporters never warmed to him, even if by the end he was no longer a figure of such hostility. There were the secret tapes – illicitly recorded and then reported in the Sunday Mirror – where he criticised Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan and said “You don’t know how nasty we can be”.

Llambias was a study in contradictions. He fell out with people easily – banning one reporter recently who had always been able to pick up the phone to him – and some grudges simply never evaporated. But he was also funny, generous and decent in every one of my dealings with him.

He was sympathetic to key staff, who were asked to work hard. One said he was “very well-liked” and inspired loyalty from his staff.

He was aggressive in his attitude to those, like the Journal and its sister ‘paper the Chronicle, who refused to call St James’ Park the Sports Direct Arena. When representations were made to senior executives at ncjMedia to start naming it that it was pointed out to him that a sign on front of the stadium said something else. The next morning, it was crowbarred away.

He said he wanted Newcastle to become a global brand but the companies brought in on his watch were Sports Direct and Wonga. While other clubs – Sunderland being one – tour Asia and America in a bid to further their profile, Newcastle are nowhere to be seen.

Yet he always insisted he was a football fan at heart, and he was genuine about cheap ticket prices and investigating standing sections at St James’ Park.

Despite claims to be a Newcastle fan for life, you couldn’t help but feel life under Llambias was far from black and white.

How will it work?

JOE Kinnear made many boasts in his now infamous Talksport interview on Monday, but even he drew back before suggesting he would be in charge of the financial side of the business.

Derek Lambayzee, he claimed, would be overseeing that. Now Llambias has stepped away from the madness unfolding at St James’ Park, there are real questions about who will take on this important part of club business.

Whatever Mike Ashley has seen in his meetings with Kinnear at the Orange Tree pub in Totteridge, it cannot have been a head for figures.

Mangling the size of the fees that he commanded for a number of Wimbledon players on Monday night seemed to confirm that he does not have an accountant’s eye for numbers.

Who, too, will be in charge of negotiations for players now that Llambias has gone? For all his foibles, the managing director was known by agents, chairman and rival clubs.

Just recently he had worked with Randy Lerner on a deal for Darren Bent that required absolute silence on the part of both clubs – prompting much frustration when news of the interest leaked last week.

Can Kinnear do that? Is he really up to scratch enough to start operating with MDs that belong to a different era from him?

The thought is a shuddering one. Surely Ashley must act now to bring in another man in the administration side of the business, or even promote or re-assign duties to someone else working at St James’ Park.

The way the structure works is now key to everything. Sources close to Alan Pardew said yesterday that he would wait to see what duties Kinnear tried to assume when pre-season starts. He did not like the sound of Kinnear travelling to every game.

Directors of football are nothing new in football. One Championship DOF told The Journal the structure at his club was simple: he was on tandem with the manager, but reported to the chief executive and the board, who reported to the owner.

Any complaints, problems or issues could be passed along that chain of command. The chief executive was responsible for contracts, although he negotiated, pressed the flesh and made the calls.

A similar structure would work at Newcastle, but – he reckoned – the key thing required for any DOF was the ability to maintain good relationships with everybody, from fans through to media. That is the challenge for Kinnear – and whoever comes in.

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/06/20/what-will-be-derek-llambias-legacy-at-newcastle-united-61634-33499899/2/#ixzz2Wk1lyXKh

In the midst of all this shambles, the press have still be stirring everything up to maximum effect, no wonder Kinnear hates the c***s, he is right to an extent.

Then he needs to prove them wrong...could start be acting professional.

He said he wanted Newcastle to become a global brand but the companies brought in on his watch were Sports Direct and Wonga. While other clubs – Sunderland being one – tour Asia and America in a bid to further their profile, Newcastle are nowhere to be seen.

Hopefully we'll get a new head of finance that can look beyond the cheap and tacky deals Llambezee pursued so doggedly. Although if the appointment of Kinnear as DOF is an indicator that seems unlikely.

In the midst of all this shambles, the press have still be stirring everything up to maximum effect, no wonder Kinnear hates the c***s, he is right to an extent.

:yikes:

He is right about nowt. Not even his own name, date of birth or parentage, which is most definitley questionable.

The blokes an idiot, a self deluded, egotistical, borderline demented loon. The fact that this foul mouthed , despicable buffoon has been brought into our club is a source of shame, embarrasment and ridicule.

Yes the press are loving it. Its newsworthy because of its sheer stupidity.

Is it another go at us? I ain't so sure this time. In all of this, the plight of the fans, the club and the region appear to be in most peoples thoughts and at the centre of most of the "anti Joe" writings and comments.

I hope he is lambasted every day, hounded day and night to the point of exhaustion. I will feel no pity or symapthy when the inevitable health condition remerges. Good riddance is all I will muster.

Hope he likes a good curry. Use plenty ghee Joe, plenty ghee.

Nabbed this from another forum http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... 2112590079

for those that cannot read it

"Why Llambias resigned and Kinnear got the job?

I found this on one of the forums and thought it was an interesting post, either true of false!

From a guy his name is Stephen Finn and apparently his uncle works within the club as a manager of the in ground Customer Service team.

Apparently Ashley decided Llambias and Pardew were too close and after the meeting he gave Alan one more chance and offered Llambias resignation or the sack. Llambias chose to fall on his sword and would resign as soon as the formalities of finding a new MD had taken place.

Mike Ashley loves Joe Kinnear and apparently Kinnear is flat broke and when this opportunity presented itself Ashley decided to spilt the MD role in 2. Football and Financial.

Kinnear will deal with all footballing related issues whilst the new person will continue the corporate side of things detailing to sponsorship, merchandise and other things of that fashion.

Joe will report back to Mike about team morale, both playing staff and management, will offer advice and will actively be involved in transfers by trying to find the middle ground between the managers wishes and the recommendations of the head scout.

Kinnear will also talk in the press regarding footballing matters relating to Ashley’s views and desires but will not act as a voice for the team, players or management.

Basically he is there to offer his knowledge and experience to all at the club and has been told not to step on Alan’s toes.

The new director of finances will look to bring in better deals than Llambias and will be tasked with finding exciting opportunities that offer both respectability and better financial implications. They will also be tasked with finding income for future transfers.

Ashley himself will take control of negotiations once the management team have decided which player(s) to go for.

Mike was seemingly furious with last season and the way all his hard work to get the Geordies back onside had been demolished by Alan Pardew, Derek Llambias and others within the club advising him on footballing matters. He decided that whilst the stock is already low he would ring the changes now and suffer the consequences. He truly believes Kinnears passion, experience and attitude can be used for the good of the club and that he will help motivate Alan Pardew (who by all accounts is miserable after last season) the coaches and the players.

Finally the club will actively look to get rid of the dead weight after Kinnear has talked to Pardew and Carr before signing some real quality. Apparently Carr is massively respected by Ashley and Graham doesn’t share the same view as Pardew relating to some of the first team players (Ameobi, Obertan, Steven Taylor and Gutierrez).

In conclusion Kinnear will be the advisor to Ashley and also the mediator between Alan and Graham. Llambias apparently sided too much with Pardew over certain issues within the club and Mike wants a more balanced view. It was said to have been Derek’s fault we didn’t sign players last Summer and his fault we missed out on Remy in Jan. When Mike got involved we signed 5 players and we will start next week on finding new players once Kinnear has listened to Alan and Graham and relayed his own thoughts to Mike.

Also this deal regarding Douglas is reportedly dead in the water based on Graham Carrs recommendations.

Apparently we will be looking for the best deals not the cheapest, hence why Douglas will not be coming in. He was the cheapest CB on the list but so far down Carr’s recommendations that the deal was called off."

Interesting points raised here, all speculation obviously but there are bits of it that make sense when you read elsewhere about Llambias ramblings

I want to believe this, it's almost nice. I will cling to this with my eyes and ears shut from now on.

It's all going to fall apart now, isn't it.  :sad:

I really needed to read something like that. Like you comment, its almost nice. Though one has to admit it all falls apart with the apointment of Kinnear. He just cant be the right man...

Mike was seemingly furious with last season and the way all his hard work to get the Geordies back onside had been demolished by Alan Pardew, Derek Llambias and others within the club advising him on footballing matters.

fits a pattern of him making decision for the right reasons but totally fucking up the execution

Nabbed this from another forum http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... 2112590079

I found this on one of the forums and thought it was an interesting post, either true of false!

From a guy his name is Stephen Finn and apparently his uncle works within the club as a manager of the in ground Customer Service team.

Apparently Ashley decided Llambias and Pardew were too close and after the meeting he gave Alan one more chance and offered Llambias resignation or the sack. Llambias chose to fall on his sword and would resign as soon as the formalities of finding a new MD had taken place.

Mike Ashley loves Joe Kinnear and apparently Kinnear is flat broke and when this opportunity presented itself Ashley decided to spilt the MD role in 2. Football and Financial.

Kinnear will deal with all footballing related issues whilst the new person will continue the corporate side of things detailing to sponsorship, merchandise and other things of that fashion.

Joe will report back to Mike about team morale, both playing staff and management, will offer advice and will actively be involved in transfers by trying to find the middle ground between the managers wishes and the recommendations of the head scout.

Kinnear will also talk in the press regarding footballing matters relating to Ashley’s views and desires but will not act as a voice for the team, players or management.

Basically he is there to offer his knowledge and experience to all at the club and has been told not to step on Alan’s toes.

The new director of finances will look to bring in better deals than Llambias and will be tasked with finding exciting opportunities that offer both respectability and better financial implications. They will also be tasked with finding income for future transfers.

Ashley himself will take control of negotiations once the management team have decided which player(s) to go for.

Mike was seemingly furious with last season and the way all his hard work to get the Geordies back onside had been demolished by Alan Pardew, Derek Llambias and others within the club advising him on footballing matters. He decided that whilst the stock is already low he would ring the changes now and suffer the consequences. He truly believes Kinnears passion, experience and attitude can be used for the good of the club and that he will help motivate Alan Pardew (who by all accounts is miserable after last season) the coaches and the players.

Finally the club will actively look to get rid of the dead weight after Kinnear has talked to Pardew and Carr before signing some real quality. Apparently Carr is massively respected by Ashley and Graham doesn’t share the same view as Pardew relating to some of the first team players (Ameobi, Obertan, Steven Taylor and Gutierrez).

In conclusion Kinnear will be the advisor to Ashley and also the mediator between Alan and Graham. Llambias apparently sided too much with Pardew over certain issues within the club and Mike wants a more balanced view. It was said to have been Derek’s fault we didn’t sign players last Summer and his fault we missed out on Remy in Jan. When Mike got involved we signed 5 players and we will start next week on finding new players once Kinnear has listened to Alan and Graham and relayed his own thoughts to Mike.

Also this deal regarding Douglas is reportedly dead in the water based on Graham Carrs recommendations.

Apparently we will be looking for the best deals not the cheapest, hence why Douglas will not be coming in. He was the cheapest CB on the list but so far down Carr’s recommendations that the deal was called off."

Interesting points raised here, all speculation obviously but there are bits of it that make sense when you read elsewhere about Llambias ramblings

I want to believe this, it's almost nice. I will cling to this with my eyes and ears shut from now on.

I really needed to read something like that. Like you comment, its almost nice. Though one has to admit it all falls apart with the apointment of Kinnear. He just cant be the right man...

Yep, I'll be burying my head in the sand and clinging to this for the next few weeks.

ITK or not, it'll keep me going for a bit.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Hopefully we'll get a new head of finance that can look beyond the cheap and tacky deals Llambezee pursued so doggedly. Although if the appointment of Kinnear as DOF is an indicator that seems unlikely.

One things which gets overlooked when

people talk of how the current ownership have turned round the finances of the club. And yet the commercial revenue has dropped 50%. The price you pay for having cheap cockney spivs running the club.

Yep, I'll be burying my head in the sand and clinging to this for the next few weeks.

ITK or not, it'll keep me going for a bit.

Yes, all in on the ostrich technique from now..

So a customer service manager knows the in's and out's Mike Ashleys reasoning now eh? :lol:

So a customer service manager knows the in's and out's Mike Ashleys reasoning now eh? :lol:

Yes isnt it great!

Stranger things happen though. I heard a silly rumour Kinnear was back in football. Apparantley as DOF for a premiership side. Nah, that just can't be...

Guest Roger Kint

I, personally, haven't got a problem with internal promotion :undecided:

If they are good enough i agree. I dare say that wasnt really the biggest factor in it though.