The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

First AVB, now Sigurdsson. I've officially stopped laughing.. :(

and I'm pretty sure Spurs' affiliation, or co-op arrangement, with of one Brazilian 1st Div clubs is still in effect.

Having that first right of refusal in that sort of talent pool (admittedly forking 10m+ for top youngsters) is a major plus for them. Most of that emerging & top talent would otherwise end up at one of the Primera Lg's big clubs as their first port-of-call in Europe (or Portugal, enroute to Spain) where there is less of a culture shock effect in their transition to European football. Throw the culture-hub which is Milan into the mix as well ie. Inter & AC Milan will occasionally prize away a blue-chip youngster from Brazil.

AVB, culturally & probably football-wise as well, is better equipped than Harry, and better placed to draw maximum benefit from what is a top-end talent pool at Spurs' disposal. These intangibles would have weighed heavily towards his appointment imo. They'll be more aggressive now re- utilizing their co-op agreement.

Just another reason to stop laughing at Spurs.

O0  it's Internacional, we signed Sandro from them and we have bids in for Leandro and Oscar.  The trouble is that the partnership does not include selling their assets on the cheap.  They are wanting top dollar for the players and the players aren't desperate to move to Spurs because, amongst other things, we don't pay wages on a par with City or Chelsea and nothing will change much until we get the extra gate receipts from the new stadium.  I suppose that it is possible we could one or the other or perhaps even both, but realistically, I would be surprised if we sign either.  I'm just happy that Vertonghen and Adebayor are likely to sign soon if they haven't done so already.

Andre Villas-Boas wants title and says Luka Modric is likely to go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18798328

By no means a spurs expert, but am I grossly overestimating Modric's importance to that team or does it sound insane to say he wants to target the title in the same breath he says Luka is getting sold? 

You're right, it does sound insane.  Modric isn't irreplaceable but those who could replace him are way out of our price range.  We haven't got a bad place in the food chain but if a player is good enough, the bigger clubs will get them eventually.  All we can hope for is the best possible price for the player leaving and not get stitched up when trying to get the replacement.

I thought Gallas was on his way out too?

Possibly, but Caulker will probably stay. That will leave us with Vertonghen, Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker, and Bassong. That's OK by me.

doesn't Bassong want out of Spurs?

TOTTENHAM target Emmanuel Adebayor is threatening to see out the remainder of his contract at Manchester City.

The striker, 28, is unhappy at being asked to take a £3million-a-year pay cut to join Spurs.

A close pal confirmed: “Manu is digging his heels in and I don’t think this is going to be sorted any time soon.

“He’s the sort of guy who will see out his contract rather than cave in.”

The two clubs agreed a £6m deal last week but Adebayor, who last played for City in December 2010, is stalling on the move because of the huge gulf in wages.

City paid Arsenal £25m for Adebayor in 2009 and he still has two years left on his £175,000-a-week contract at the Etihad.

Spurs’ offer of a four-year deal comes nowhere near so Adebayor, who scored 18 goals on loan at White Hart lane last season, is holding out for a sizeable increase from the Londoners or a big pay-off from City.

Mercenary cunt.

Guest Phil K

Ledley King has retired.

He may as well have done 2 seasons ago for how often he's played

Mercenary c***.

For a hundred and seventy five THOUSAND quid a week ?

I'd be mercenary too

:lol: I wouldn't take a 3 million a year pay cut either.

He'd still be on 6 mill and would be a guaranteed starter in a very good team. Anyway, it's good news for us if this doesn't go through. I enjoyed Ade when he was on the BBC for the coverage of the world cup but he seems like an absolute cock with some of his antics on the pitch

TOTTENHAM target Emmanuel Adebayor is threatening to see out the remainder of his contract at Manchester City.

The striker, 28, is unhappy at being asked to take a £3million-a-year pay cut to join Spurs.

A close pal confirmed: “Manu is digging his heels in and I don’t think this is going to be sorted any time soon.

“He’s the sort of guy who will see out his contract rather than cave in.”

The two clubs agreed a £6m deal last week but Adebayor, who last played for City in December 2010, is stalling on the move because of the huge gulf in wages.

City paid Arsenal £25m for Adebayor in 2009 and he still has two years left on his £175,000-a-week contract at the Etihad.

Spurs’ offer of a four-year deal comes nowhere near so Adebayor, who scored 18 goals on loan at White Hart lane last season, is holding out for a sizeable increase from the Londoners or a big pay-off from City.

Mercenary cunt.

but he's doing it to man city. :thup:

Honestly, call him a mercenary c***, but I wouldnt take £3m paycut ever. Dont think any player would.

Same here - if they were being honest, nobody would do this in their own professional lives, yet seem to expect footballers to take paycuts.

Honestly, call him a mercenary c***, but I wouldnt take £3m paycut ever. Dont think any player would.

Same here - if they were being honest, nobody would do this in their own professional lives, yet seem to expect footballers to take paycuts.

I think the context is slightly different. If a normal person takes a pay cut, it will have a massive impact on how they live their lives. If a footballer goes from earning 9 mill to 6 mill, I think they can probably take the hit and many would if it meant first team football/living in London over Manchester, etc...

Not many were using a similar argument to back up smith when he was with us. Adebayor's ability isnt worth anywhere near 175 grand a week.

Exactly, if you got into a job that paid you about 3 times what you're worth, would you leave it? I hated Alan Smith because he was fucking shite, but I never blamed him for taking what he was given.

I think the context is slightly different. If a normal person takes a pay cut, it will have a massive impact on how they live their lives. If a footballer goes from earning 9 mill to 6 mill, I think they can probably take the hit and many would if it meant first team football/living in London over Manchester, etc...

This is always where it gets a bit difficult.  Yes, to us earning 3 million after tax to play football would be the most amazing thing in thw world and therefore we probably wouldn't care about the drop from 4.5 million after tax.  But this when viewing it from a fan's perspective who has a normal job and will never earn vast sums of money. 

But that isn't the mindset of a professional footballer - he regards it as a job where he wants to make the most money he can.  If someone was stupid enough to give Adebayor such a well remunerated contract, why should he take a pay cut?  His standard of living has probably risen and he doesn't want to give that up for first team football or whatever it us that us football fans think should be at the forefront of a player's mind.