West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

hope Bellamy doesn't play. going purely off the highlights he looked like one of liverpools best players yesterday, even though he only had 10 minutes. put 2 beautiful balls into the box. been getting plenty of goals and assists lately too (relative to liverpools poor scoring ability).

It will be interesting to see his reaction if he does score.

I reckon he'd celebrate with joy. Since he left Liverpool, especially in the kind of circumstances, I've always doubted his "genuine" love for NUFC. I just think that he was simply one of those part-time supporters that the only reason he started supporting NUFC was because of his mates. Don't think he even loves football that much.... he's simply good at it.

Andy Carroll may be struggling at Liverpool, but there have been signs he is not far off a return to form. Against Manchester City, he was denied a winner only by a superlative save from Joe Hart. On Monday, it was Blackburn's Mark Bunn who denied him, plunging to his right and slightly backwards to shovel Carroll's effort wide, a save so remarkable that Blackburn's players congratulated him almost as though it had been a goal. Carroll did nothing wrong with either the attempt against City or against Blackburn: but for the misfortune of finding two goalkeepers in exceptional form, he would perhaps be being hailed as the man who found two late winners.

On the other hand, he also put a good headed chance just wide a few minutes before Bunn's save; but then had he scored against City, had he had that extra surge of self-belief, he may have found the extra inch in his leap that would have guided that on target and Bunn's late save would have been an irrelevance.

The danger is that he comes to believe – as Fernando Torres perhaps has – that he is doomed and nothing will ever work again; but if he keeps meeting crosses like that, the goals will come eventually. Not every goalkeeper can save their best to deny him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/dec/27/five-things-learned-boxing-day-football

Interesting.

(FWIW, I wouldn't take him back now. I thought otherwise a few months ago but thinking about it, don't think he would fit into our system now [despite our longball tactics in the last couple of games]).

"You never want to lose great players and we never wanted to lose Andy. I'd take him back if I had the chance.

"If the fee offered by Liverpool had not been so high, he'd still be here."

"A run in the side is something all strikers need.

"He's a great lad. I like Andy and I was disappointed to see him left out of the England squad last time. I think he can be an England No 9.

"He's going through a period of transition. He's finding his feet at Liverpool and I'm sure he'll find his way."

"He's a young player and all young players need confidence — strikers particularly.

"Sometimes you need to stay with them.

"The best years for Andy are still ahead of him."

"You never want to lose great players and we never wanted to lose Andy. I'd take him back if I had the chance.

"If the fee offered by Liverpool had not been so high, he'd still be here."

"A run in the side is something all strikers need.

"He's a great lad. I like Andy and I was disappointed to see him left out of the England squad last time. I think he can be an England No 9.

"He's going through a period of transition. He's finding his feet at Liverpool and I'm sure he'll find his way."

"He's a young player and all young players need confidence — strikers particularly.

"Sometimes you need to stay with them.

"The best years for Andy are still ahead of him."

Not if Colo snaps his legs on Friday.