Souness

Guest Brazilianbob

Although I don't want to go over old ground here, in footballing terms, not the board room side of it,

Souness is the sole reason as to why the rot started,

and we still haven't fully recovered as a football club from his tenure here.

I don't think Souness was the only reason for our decline, by any means. Also, with both Liverpool and us, he took over clubs at a bad time, but having said that, I think there's a flaw in his man management skills which regularly gets exposed when the going gets tough. So definitely not.

It exasperates me that half the time we're talking about stability, and the other half we're talking about changing the manager yet again. This has been such a traumatic season, on and off the field, that we can't judge Kinnear at this point. He's been firefighting, and providing he still has the support of the dressing room, he should be given a summer transfer window and another season to show what he can do.

Although I don't want to go over old ground here, in footballing terms, not the board room side of it,

I don't think Souness was the only reason for our decline, by any means. Also, with both Liverpool and us, he took over clubs at a bad time, but having said that, I think there's a flaw in his man management skills which regularly gets exposed when the going gets tough. So definitely not.

It exasperates me that half the time we're talking about stability, and the other half we're talking about changing the manager yet again. This has been such a traumatic season, on and off the field, that we can't judge Kinnear at this point. He's been firefighting, and providing he still has the support of the dressing room, he should be given a summer transfer window and another season to show what he can do.

what?  is that supposed to be fucking funny?

Hardly a bad time was it. This is a bad time.

Two different kinds of bad time. With Souness, he was taking over teams that had already peaked and were just starting to decline. A bit of rebuilding was needed but expectations were still high and a manager in that situation is under a lot of pressure. In some ways, it's easier on the new man to take over a club at the bottom where the only way is up.

Trouble is, I'm not sure that any manager taking over our club is spared the problem of high expectations.

Two different kinds of bad time. With Souness, he was taking over teams that had already peaked and were just starting to decline. A bit of rebuilding was needed but expectations were still high and a manager in that situation is under a lot of pressure. In some ways, it's easier on the new man to take over a club at the bottom where the only way is up.

Trouble is, I'm not sure that any manager taking over our club is spared the problem of high expectations.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree really. If Souness was to take over now he'd take us down I reckon. All he did back then was dismantle a Champions League team and give us our worst premiership finishes. Imagine the damage he would have done without 50m to blow in a window.

Absolutely gutted when Shepherd appointed him and I never supported him durinmg his entire tenure at SJP, but I would have him back like a shot now!  Any other takers?

You obviously weren't at SJP in late 1993 when we stuffed a Souness-managed Liverpool 3-0 and were so much on top that the Sir John Hall Stand were singing 'Souness for Sunderland'....!!

I reckon that was an appropriate judgment on our former, un-mourned manager - we may well have  the pits in charge right now, but the words 'Devil' and 'Deep Blue Sea' come to mind....then again, with the Brains Dept running NUFC.........

Did we turn them over 2-0 away that season as well? Andy Cole scored an amazing counter attacking goal  in front of the Anfield Rd end if it's the game I'm thinking of. Only time we have beat them at there place in my life time in the league, we beat them in the league cup at around the same time as well.

Yes, we did, and Rob Lee scored the other goal - we had tp prompt the Kop into singing 'You'll never walk alone' near the end(I think they were altering the Kop that close season).

We've never dominated them like that since, even in the 95/96 season..

Are you taking the piss?!! Shit managers shouldn't be given time as Souness proved. Stability is vital, but at the same time, its pointless with a shit manager in charge. Souness had 3 transfer windows and over £50million when taking us from 5th to 14th.

I remember arseholes like Alan Hansen calling us who wanted him out fickle and telling us to give him time. Hanson and all the other idiots who said 'give him time' were proved wrong. He fucked us up.

Are you taking the piss?!! s*** managers shouldn't be given time as Souness proved. Stability is vital, but at the same time, its pointless with a s*** manager in charge. Souness had 3 transfer windows and over £50million when taking us from 5th to 14th.

I remember arseholes like Alan Hansen calling us who wanted him out fickle and telling us to give him time. Hanson and all the other idiots who said 'give him time' were proved wrong. He f***ed us up.

But we had injuries ;)

No that is ridiculous. Yes we've had our fair load of bad managers after Souness, after he left we had Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan (did more harm to us than good eventually) and now the fat grumpy old bloke.

BUT these managers, from Roeder to what we have now, are managers that failed to steady the sinking ship which was our club, a much harder job than Souness had. Souness started the rot, for metaphorical reasons of analogy, he got the ship sinking in the first place. The managers who followed simply failed to steady the ship which had its hull shot at with a canon by Souness.

... and after we made each of those managers walk the plank, they all took a swipe at the engine of the ship and tore holes into the sides of its cabins. With Kinnear suffering from sea sickness it's got to be all hands on deck and continue fishing for the right result.

• 14 years later...
18 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Bruce doing it as well, like? 

He was once asked to leave Tynemouth beach to allow the tide to come back in