Stoke City v Newcastle United - 02/03/16 @ 19.45 - Pre match thread (No TV)

Willow

We've known about how the magical powers of Spring lead to change for a long time in these parts. About 1400 years ago, St Bede, when not digging his allotment in Jarra, or writing about that other God squad, recorded the already ancient beliefs about the Anglo Saxon goddess Eostre--all about eggs, shagging in the woods (I'm summarising...), change and new life. It is springtime. We could be reborn; well and truly hatched! Even the venerable Max Bygraves (1500 years ago? In Hebburn?) knew: "When it's spring again, we'll win again, half the team's  from Amster-dam...".

You'll be no doubt relieved to know that I am not quoting a recent Steve Black motivation speech to the team. But ye never knaa, come be a good time a coming...

This seems like the type of game a team in Stoke's position would totally mess up after getting a solid win at the weekend.

Hoping we really pull this out of the bag tonight.

McClaren is one of those managers that is scared of teams like Stoke, "tough place to go" and all that.

That, and he's had a long to time to perfect his tactics, so expect a few dodgy decisions and a couple win for Stoke. Almost predictable.

If there's any doubts about player fitness then I'd sooner not play them today and we lose, having them fit for Bournemouth is the big one.

Yep.  Gambled on Mbemba's fitness against Everton.  That went well.