Joey Barton

JJ7

Hughton talks about Barton.

Hughton 'ecstatic' about Joey Barton's form

Aug 11 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS HUGHTON says he is “ecstatic” about the return to fitness and form of his midfield craftsman Joey Barton.

The Scouser – who spent much of last term sidelined after foot surgery – is in line to start Newcastle United’s visit to Old Trafford on Monday night, a game in which he will be set for a red hot reception as an ex-Manchester City player.

And while Barton has endured the stick of his team-mates for sporting a moustache in pre-season, Hughton, who sported a similar tache in his Spurs days, feels the longer it stays the better if it indicates that team spirit is on a high.

He told the Chronicle: “If he can keep performing the way he has done and stay injury-free – he can leave the ’tache on for the whole season if he wants.

“He’s played very well in pre-season and we’re all really pleased with him.

“It was another good performance at Rangers from Joey.

“He missed a big chunk of last season with injury.

“But now he is making up for lost time, and it really is for us like having that new player.”

Hughton also feels that the banter among the players going into the big clash at Manchester United sums up the mood at the club’s Benton base.

Indeed, even though Newcastle’s chances at Manchester United have been dismissed by many, and high-profile Sky pundit Andy Gray has tipped the Magpies to be relegated, Hughton said: “This is a very good group here – there’s no doubt about that.

“We’ll need them to be a good group.

“There will be downs, perhaps more than last year, and when you get those downs, it’s about bouncing back from them.

“If we get a couple of defeats on the spin, we’ll need to absorb them as a group.

“But I think we can absorb them, and we’ll be confident of staying upbeat for the season.”

Barton, who joins stars such Mick Quinn, Terry McDermott and Philippe Albert among the Toon’s famous ‘tache wearers, has been joined by Wayne Routledge and Andy Carroll in the facial hair stakes, and when asked if Hughton’s ‘tache from the 1980s would be making a return, he said: “In life you want to make changes!

“But fair play to Joey, it is something he’s maintained.”

Meanwhile, as revealed in last night’s Chronicle, Alan Smith made a return from an ankle injury in a behind-closed-doors encounter with St Mirren.

The midfielder played an hour against the Buddies in a 2-2 draw as Nile Ranger grabbed two late efforts to salvage a draw after the Magpies slipped 2-0 down.

United also handed a trial to recently released Chelsea left-back Billy Knott, who played the full 90 minutes.

Did they say on SSN his hairlip was down to a bet and he will/can shave it off soon?

:lol:

Said that he won't shave it until we win our first game of the season

He'll look like Friedrich Nietzsche by the time he can get rid of it then...

He told a friend of mine that he was doing it for charity, and asked her if she wanted to donate. Nolan pointed out that he was just taking the piss, and doing it because of a bet.

(This was on the plane on the way back from the Depo game by the way)

Barton Aims For Razor Sharp Start

By Dan King

Joey Barton has even more reason than most to hope that Newcastle can get off to the perfect start to their Barclays Premier League season at Old Trafford on Monday. For three points against Manchester United will mean he can finally shave off the facial hair he has been sporting for the last few weeks.

The growth above Barton's top lip has been a talking point amongst fans and team-mates alike as the Magpies' mustachioed midfield maetro has shone in pre-season. And, speaking to nufcTV, he has revealed the story behind it.

"It started out with about eight of us getting together and we were saying to each other 'you couldn't grow a beard,'" he said. "One thing led to another and before I knew it, I'd agreed to grow a moustache.

"It was meant to be for the Sky Sports photos (shown in the line-ups before each game) but they have been and gone, so we said it would be until we got our first win.

"So it could be here for a while longer if we don't get off to a good start - but hopefully it'll be gone soon."

Barton has been on the receiving end of plenty of banter at United's Darsley Park Training Centre and admitted: "I'm hopeful I'll get rid of it, because I know how ridiculous it is! It's got a bit of flack and a few people have said it's ridiculous - and my missus is one of them!

"There are a few knocking about. Ryan Taylor had one and shaved it off, Alan Smith's got one and Andy Carroll has one, but it's reminiscent of a 12-year-old in the offset of hormone development! It's just a bit of banter and the lads are buzzing off it."

But with a tough test at Old Trafford on Monday, the Merseysider added: "There's always banter, but we're professional when we need to be and over the weeked, the onus will shift towards Monday night's game and how we appoach that.

"You won't see as much laughing and joking - but we'll still be just as together."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100813/barton-aims-for-razor-sharp-start_2240137_2121292

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Great to read/hear things like that, you know, instead of 'he tried to sex me lass, so I broke his jaw.'.