Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Was poor last season in the run in. I don't think he's good enough for the top league let alone the World Cup. As previous posts point out it's a combination of our defence and shoddy finishing that is behind our good defensive record this year.

And mostly due to terrible finishing.

I understand your point about the quality of strikers , however if that were really the case then every Championship team would not have conceded many, but that is not the case.

So I would say it is mostly down to Harper and his defenders rather than terrible finishing.

Guest WashyGeordie

Well what about England's defence?

I reckon he should get a shot at a friendly, if he doesn't perform then fair enough, but what if he does?..

Was poor last season in the run in. I don't think he's good enough for the top league let alone the World Cup. As previous posts point out it's a combination of our defence and shoddy finishing that is behind our good defensive record this year.

Conceded 22 in 16 games compared to Given's 37 in 22

Robinson's been in superb form for Blackburn by all accounts this season and that's top flight football. Plus he has England experience.

Yeah he's got experience of being a liability for England.  Harper is better then most of the shit England have available in goal.  He got trashed by some last season simply because he wasn't as good as Given, which is ridiculous.  Especially since he hadn't played regularly before being thrust into a relegation battle.  For all the shit finishing we've seen in this league this season Harper has still made some brilliant and crucial saves and looked extremely solid, I see no reason why he shouldn't get his chance in a friendly.

Green

James

Robinson

Kirkland

Hart

Foster

in terms of the "main" six England goalies that have been selected in Capello's squads, that is the order I'd currently have them in. Harper would probably go either above or below Kirkland, I'm a bit undecided, really.

Green

James

Robinson

Kirkland

Hart

Foster

in terms of the "main" six England goalies that have been selected in Capello's squads, that is the order I'd currently have them in. Harper would probably go either above or below Kirkland, I'm a bit undecided, really.

Agree :thup: I'd probably have Harper ahead of Kirkland though, on the basis that Kirkland looks fucking weird.

And mostly due to terrible finishing.

Not really, that would mean that their would be far less goals against every team, which there isn't.

Agreed. This myth of "terrible finishing" is ridiculous to say the least. If so, then why are there regular hammerings all over the league, and if you look at the top scorers list, we are only represented by Nolan in the top 10!

I think our defence needs to get the credit for our defensive record as they have played as a unit, and have done enough to put off strikers in good shooting positions.

As for Harper......why not?? I reckon he would be a solid squad member who is mature enough to understand that he could only play a bit part role in the tournament, and would keep his head if called upon unlike some of the younger element such as Foster and Hart. Thumbs up from me.

There's no doubt that our defence and goalkeeper are preventing a lot of chances being offered up, I never denied that. The difference is that the opposition at this level can't finish their fucking dinner. Against other teams they get more chances.

Playing like this we'd get raped by a half-decent Premier League club.

He sounds like he's had a cracking game tonight.

Spilled a shot I'd have expected him not to towards the end of the second half but he made a one handed save tipping it onto the bar in the first half which was top, top class.