We're down. The relegation thread.

Dave

I hope Robson lives to see us come back up. That's what I keep thinking about, that he's seen us go down.

That was exactly my thoughts. That great man does not deserve this and it devastates me on his behalf. We'll get over it and we'll see better times - he may not :(

Been following the club religiously for 13 years even if I am not local or ever been to a match in person... I forgot who wrote the analogy here before, but it does feel something like your terminally ill ant finally passing away. Since I won't be able to see any matches from now on and seeing that it could take quite some time to be promoted back in I guess I just have to try to find something else in life and try to forget. I've been lucky to make real NUFC fans as friends and having seen their passion for the club I can understand at least some the pain they are feeling right now. Me, I just feel part empty now. Maybe this is how it feels when someone you really love passes away? There were times when the club and the players were a real source of inspiration and the sheer joy of seeing the team play made up for everything else in life.  

Reading your name is very depressing.  To think of the quality we had in midfield years ago to what it is now.

i feel worst for the overseas fans, they're well and truly f***ed now. i imagine our global fan base will shrink by a sizeable amount, maybe by a third, and it'll take some over-achievement akin to the Robson years to ever recover our global standing. you did a great job cutting costs mike, also managed to slash our income too, nice one.

When I think about it, I really don't care if there are gloryseekers who support us. I don't care when and why people start supporting us. They're supporters, so we've all got that in common. Who cares if they started supporting us when we were good?

However, on another level, I'll be glad that those people who support us and watch football because all their mates do, will stop. I'm sure this forum will lose a few members and it might be for the better. St James' will lose a few people but I bet those who go are those who care. Who knows, with the prices bound to drop, we might get some real fans in. We might get some noise. It won't be fashionable to watch and support us anymore. Anyone who does it from today will do it because they care.

yes, it'll be great when our commercial income plummets.

it is not just about fans deserting, you have to think about fans as a fluid entity, some leaving for various reasons (losing interest, dying, moving away, not having access to the club on the telly etc) and others being added for various reasons. next season because we're not in the premiership we will add close to zero new fans and lose a huge amount.

It's really quite simple, in the eyes of foreigners, Newcastle was a big club until 30 minutes ago. Now it's on par with the Sunderlands, West Broms, and Wolves.

Of course there are people like those who post on these forums, who will follow the club no matter what despite their geographical displacement.

But for a lot of people relegation to the Championship means they'll simply lose interest in the club, and while you may deride them as fair-weather supporters, they make a valuable contribution to the club's commercial income, as well as raising the club's global profile.

Unless the club acts quickly to keep overseas supporters on board, I expect that there will be a huge dropoff. I'm one of the administrators on the Korean Newcastle Supporters Club and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose half our membership within the next year. If we stay in the Championship for more than a year, our site might just cease to exist.

tbh i can understand it, they dont have it in their blood and all their mates prolly support Man Utd so what is the point supporting a club they can reasonably never watch? maybe if we come back up they'd return but not until then. im not deriding them for it, going to be tough for them, maybe they'll swear to stick around, but over the months theyll find themselves watching arsenal, acquiring a soft spot for them, and interest in us slowly slips away.

fuck them

I think the mistake starts with the selling of Milner.

I think the mistake starts even earlier... with not getting the players KK wanted - or in other words - with not getting the players that would be capable of getting us into the top six.

C'mon lads. Enough of all this doom and gloom shite. Think of all the mackem scum that will be lurking on this board, laughing at us crying our eyes out! We need to think positively. Turn up at St James' in our droves cheer on our team and never give any other teams an excuse to laugh at us. We're bigger than this. We've been down before and we've come back from it. Howay the lads and keep the faith!! :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi:

After watching the game today, I don't feel gutted. Our displays have been utterly s*** all year, and we deserve to go down. We can blame Ashley, Keegan, Kinnear or Wise, but when it comes down to it we were never going to stay up with our effort being so poor. 90 % of our players are a disgrace for this club. We have a lot of players who's not good enough to fill our ambitions about Newcastle being a good PL-side, but they are certainly good enough to finish above the likes of Hull and Sunderland. The problem is not the players abilities, but it's the effort they're putting in every weekend. We have so many players who don't give a f*** about our club, and that is what we are suffering from now.

Are we going up next year? This is a massive turning point for us, and the outcome can either be us doing a Leeds, or it can be a chance to get rid of the deadwood and start shaping up a squad full of hungry players who will take us up. We have a golden opportunity to get rid of the likes of Smith, Butt, Duff, Owen and Viduka, but I don't think we will do that. If we don't, we won't come up. It's as simple as that.

You can;t.  He had no control over anything except training, he left after 2 weeks in the top 10, the other 36 other games he wasn't responsible for.

Yes you can. 

Cant see how you possibly can,  him walking out because he couldnt change the system.  They could of appointed someone permanent who WOULD work with the system instead of being conflict.  They didnt he wasnt replaced all season, just temporary managers.

A January where we made a profit in an effort to be debt free in a few years, despite a relegation battle.  What a fucking joke of a club.

i feel worst for the overseas fans, they're well and truly f***ed now. i imagine our global fan base will shrink by a sizeable amount, maybe by a third, and it'll take some over-achievement akin to the Robson years to ever recover our global standing. you did a great job cutting costs mike, also managed to slash our income too, nice one.

When I think about it, I really don't care if there are gloryseekers who support us. I don't care when and why people start supporting us. They're supporters, so we've all got that in common. Who cares if they started supporting us when we were good?

However, on another level, I'll be glad that those people who support us and watch football because all their mates do, will stop. I'm sure this forum will lose a few members and it might be for the better. St James' will lose a few people but I bet those who go are those who care. Who knows, with the prices bound to drop, we might get some real fans in. We might get some noise. It won't be fashionable to watch and support us anymore. Anyone who does it from today will do it because they care.

it is not just about fans deserting, you have to think about fans as a fluid entity, some leaving for various reasons (losing interest, dying, moving away, not having access to the club on the telly etc) and others being added for various reasons. next season because we're not in the premiership we will add close to zero new fans and lose a huge amount.

It's really quite simple, in the eyes of foreigners, Newcastle was a big club until 30 minutes ago. Now it's on par with the Sunderlands, West Broms, and Wolves.

Of course there are people like those who post on these forums, who will follow the club no matter what despite their geographical displacement.

But for a lot of people relegation to the Championship means they'll simply lose interest in the club, and while you may deride them as fair-weather supporters, they make a valuable contribution to the club's commercial income, as well as raising the club's global profile.

Unless the club acts quickly to keep overseas supporters on board, I expect that there will be a huge dropoff. I'm one of the administrators on the Korean Newcastle Supporters Club and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose half our membership within the next year. If we stay in the Championship for more than a year, our site might just cease to exist.

tbh i can understand it, they dont have it in their blood and all their mates prolly support Man Utd so what is the point supporting a club they can reasonably never watch? maybe if we come back up they'd return but not until then. im not deriding them for it, going to be tough for them, maybe they'll swear to stick around, but over the months theyll find themselves watching arsenal, acquiring a soft spot for them, and interest in us slowly slips away.

f*** them

you can say that, but summed up it basically means our status as a side goes down.

Less chance of decent players wanting to join us in the future.

We become less likely to be a good football team anytime in the future.

It affects all of us.

Guest Spud

Bring on next season, Blackpool, Bristol, QPR, Ipswich, Watford, Cardiff it a great list!

Only up side is we might have a chance of winning something, let's just pray we are not the next Leeds

Guest bluegeordie

I hope Robson lives to see us come back up. That's what I keep thinking about, that he's seen us go down.

My thoughts, exactly.

To sum up the season, there's no doubt that in terms of both our off-field and on-field performance, we've deserved to go down more than any other club, and in that sense our final league position flatters us - we should have come dead last. I've just spent the last few months hoping that we wouldn't get what we deserved and, in retrospect, living completely in denial.

If there's any truth in the old cliche that "in the hour of greatest slaughter, the great avenger is being born", then Jackie Milburn Version II has just entered the world. 

Guest iliketoonarmy

Foreign fans, you can buy radio coverage for approx £35 a season, that'll be the best way of following us next season.

I'm from Malaysia and have been following the club for the past 9 years, since I started watching football. It's not easy to get a chance to watch toon game here because all they wanted to show is games of Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. No one should doubt our loyalty because I've done what I could as a fan, trying anything I could to watch the game, via illegal stream, or maybe livescore. I've only missed not more than 10 games for the past 8 years, eventhough the time here is 8 hours faster than UK, and sometimes I got to wake up at 3am just to watch the toon games.

As I'm living in Asia I know another group of die hard fans are from China. Some of them have even started supporting the team back in 80s. They were not Geordies, and didn't have any relationship at all with the city. They have been translating all important football news and updated their website eventhough the players were playing shit.

We will not have the chance to watch this club playing again, at least for the next 1 year, not many of us have the money to buy the flight ticket either.

I'll still be buying the club merchandise again next year, and hoping for the best that we will come back, so that I can see the black and white again in the TV ;( ;(

f*** them

you can say that, but summed up it basically means our status as a side goes down.

It affects all of us.

Decent players like Michael Owen you mean?

We're going to be the biggest club in the Championship, that isn't cocky or anything, that's a very obvious fact.

This means that we'll be able to attact the best quality Championship players to the club. Should be back up in no time, with players that actually want to play for the club.

The only way we're going to become the next Leeds is if we refuse to spend any money at all.

We absolutely must use this to get rid of the embarrassing players that have represented us this season, and build a young, fit, hungry team.

If that happens, relegation will have been a necessary evil. If we fail to do it, relegation will be a disaster. Everything hangs on how the club responds.

FFIW, Shearer looked equally embarrassed at some of the shit that has gone on on the pitch for the last few weeks... I doubt he'll be pulling his punches when it comes to trimming the shite.

The thing is; I'm OK with this. All the Swedes on this forum probably knows about an Ice Hockey team called Malmö. I am a fan! I have been in love since 1989-90. They were the best team in Sweden, even in Europe but then they went out of the Elite Series in Sweden. And they stayed out, and I still loved them and they almost went in to administration. And then they became known as the Babyhawks since they kicked out all of their Stars. And they did their best and drew Full Houses but stilo didn't manage to draw full houses, and I still love them. I don't know at all what this means, but I still love Newcastle and I always will, no matter what division!

f*** them

It affects all of us.

We're going to be the biggest club in the Championship, that isn't cocky or anything, that's a very obvious fact.

This means that we'll be able to attact the best quality Championship players to the club. Should be back up in no time, with players that actually want to play for the club.

The only way we're going to become the next Leeds is if we refuse to spend any money at all.

which is very possible with ashley in charge.

No way of knowing we'll defo be straight back up, a lot havent.

Our side will be broken up, a lot of new players will have to gel together. Its not simple.

Regardless even if we did get back up straight away, we wouldnt be able to get the players we could have got if we'd stayed up today.

Its going to take time, not being negative thats just reality.

Guest Bolton Zulu

Can't believe in the end that it was a deflected goal that brought us down

Oh my God. Here we go...

Guest saintscoobz

gutted had to take a walk to compose myself.  think we should fire the whole squad (with only a handful of exceptions)

f*** them

It affects all of us.

which is very possible with ashley in charge.

No way of knowing we'll defo be straight back up, a lot havent.

Our side will be broken up, a lot of new players will have to gel together. Its not simple.

Regardless even if we did get back up straight away, we wouldnt be able to get the players we could have got if we'd stayed up today.

Its going to take time, not being negative thats just reality.

Ashley isn't stupid. He's made plenty of mistakes, but why would he want to run his business venture all teh way to League 1? Come off it.

The next few weeks are going to be very important as to whether we'll be straight back up. If Shearer stays, I'd be very confident that we will be.

The thing is; I'm OK with this. All the Swedes on this forum probably knows about an Ice Hockey team called Malmö. I am a fan! I have been in love since 1989-90. They were the best team in Sweden, even in Europe but then they went out of the Elite Series in Sweden. And they stayed out, and I still loved them and they almost went in to administration. And then they became known as the Babyhawks since they kicked out all of their Stars. And they did their best and drew Full Houses but stilo didn't manage to draw full houses, and I still love them. I don't know at all what this means, but I still love Newcastle and I always will, no matter what division!

I know what you're on about. I'm a Rögle man myself but the way MIF started over with "Baby hawks" is just what we need here. Players with heart. Who fights. Who cares about the club. No more money grabbing over the hill old names but new, fresh youngsters!