RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're winning games and to a certain extent we've lost the players who made a mockery of the club, things are going in the right direction. The top 8 is unreachable, and will be until we bypass the likes of Ashley and Moat. Relegation could easily turn out to be the best thing for the club in the long-term.

How much did Fulham, Everton and Villa spend last season?

A lot, Villa certainly, but they and Everton were also building from squads who had done well the previous year.

It's madness to think of the Top 8 being unreachable though - Fulham had miraculously escaped the year before and up to their late recovery had been worse than Newcastle were last year. There's no reason why a club with such a large support shouldn't be looking at Top 8 after promotion.......as long as the management is right.

Depends what you think of as a lot, certainly nothing they spend should be out of our reach given the right people making the right financial decisions.  Like you say the support is massive and that puts us an another league financially to most other clubs (apart from the two sugar daddy clubs and the top 4).

Most clubs in the Premiership have very high wage bills as a percentage of their turnover, but Villa and Spurs (and Everton?) have shown that keeping that bill down can be done without the Champions League. Getting rid of (most of) the high earners plus the weakest Championship in my memory means this year is an opportunity to get it right. The need is for a manager that can stamp his authority on the team and squad-building (with some cash); if this doesn't materialise then this squad will come straight back down again.

The thing is we haven't exactly cut any dead wood, the dead wood on ludicrous wages is the reason we're winning this league (likes of Nolan, Smith, Coloccini) - Duff is the only one who wasn't anywhere near delivering on his wages we've got rid of who wasn't off anyway. As it is, we've weakend our team substantially and have a, despite being reduced, very high wage bill even in premiership terms. In terms of players sold, other than Duff we've lost Bassong, Beye and Martins who were all very important to us in the premiership, Dukes and Owen were leaving even if we stopped up. Our squad will need massively rebuilding if we go back up as we seem to have a lot of players who are too good for this league but not up to scratch in the PL. It's going to be a massive job, and I don't buy it when people say being relegated could be a blessing in disguise.

I'm pretty sure if Ashley is still in charge next season that the priority will be just to stay in the premier and stabilise the finances, there won't be any massive overhaul of the squad or investment in new players unless it is self-financing. FWIW, I don't think we will get relegated, there are enough poor teams in the premier for us to survive. Really we should never have got relegated last season but the turmoil after Keegan  left and Ashley's disastrous handling of the situation put paid to our chances. We desperately need new owners.

Guest Roger Kint

f*** it. I am happy that we are winning games. Ok we can say we shouldn't be there, but why not? Because we are Newcastle? Does that give us a divine right to escape relegation? Does it f***. We were shocking last season, we were relegated because of it. I am not happy that we are in the Championship or whatever you want to call it, but we are winning games. I don't really care if we are scraping points or hammering teams (well I do because games like Saturday's against Ipswich are canny to watch) as long as we are putting the points on the board.

We can sit here, miserable as sin, whining on that no-one should enjoy a match because we are in the second tier of English football, or we can back the team, enjoy the wins, hopefully regain our premiership place at the end of the season and build from there. What's the point in being a miserable t*** about it?

So that 20 years later you can trump any argument by pointing out how much you have suffered for your opinion.

:idiot2:

I think you are confusing me with NE5.

I am happy, not suffering.

You are aware he is answering your question arent you?

If Ashley stays and fails to invest in the next two transfer windows I really fear for us wether we are promoted or not. The current crop of players wouldn't cut it in the Premier League, if we are promoted without spending I can see nothing more than a throughly humiliating season. On the other hand you only have to look at the likes of Sheffield United and Reading to see what a couple of years without significant investement does to you in the Championship.

You'd hope he'd of realised that by now...

Guest toonlass

f*** it. I am happy that we are winning games. Ok we can say we shouldn't be there, but why not? Because we are Newcastle? Does that give us a divine right to escape relegation? Does it f***. We were shocking last season, we were relegated because of it. I am not happy that we are in the Championship or whatever you want to call it, but we are winning games. I don't really care if we are scraping points or hammering teams (well I do because games like Saturday's against Ipswich are canny to watch) as long as we are putting the points on the board.

We can sit here, miserable as sin, whining on that no-one should enjoy a match because we are in the second tier of English football, or we can back the team, enjoy the wins, hopefully regain our premiership place at the end of the season and build from there. What's the point in being a miserable t*** about it?

So that 20 years later you can trump any argument by pointing out how much you have suffered for your opinion.

My bad

My bad

Not to worry.

The big 4, City, Spurs, Villa and Everton are going nowhere man

Under Ashley or Moat we'll never break the top 8, to do that would require genuine financial clout. Everton's turnover can't be much more less than ours and they have a very, very good team in place. If we get promoted we'll have to build from scratch, under Moat or Ashley we can expect 12th at absolute best.

How can you say Evertons revenue can't be much less then ours when you obviously don't know what their revenue is?  From the last two financial reports (2008) Newcastle's revenue was £100m and Evertons was £75m.  £25m a season is quite a lot of money, especially since that was generated from Everton finishing 5th and us finishing 12th.  You need to get some info yourself on clubs finances and then you'll see where you're going wrong with this whole idea that we have to have a sugar daddy to do well..  Out of the "big four" you just mentioned only one has more financial power then us (when we're in the Premiership of course) and that's Man City due to their outside money (Villa have outside cash but their spending hasn't been too extravagant).  The Spuds make revenue similar to us, Villa and Everton both pull in significantly less.  The only reason they're up where they are instead of where we are is good management from board room to pitch side and we can get their too with the same good management.

Also love how you've got a set place we could finish under a man you know nothing about, 12th?, why 12th? :lol:

I live on Melbourne St, where apparantly Barry Moat has an office.

There's currently a black Aston parked there with the reg, "N1 UFC".

Do I hang around to see if its him, and if it is, demand answers?  I've got nowt better to do this afternoon...

Might as well, like you said you have noubt better to do :)

Do I hang around to see if its him, and if it is, demand answers?  I've got nowt better to do this afternoon...

kenny shepherd!

Might as well, like you said you have noubt better to do :)

:lol: we can pick up the building's CCTV when we tune any TV plugged into the roof aerial, and one of the cameras overlooks Melbourne St.  I'll do it that way.  No need to move  O0

Guest antz1uk

That black Aston has sped past me before pulling out of wynyard.. i think its a relation of SJH