The England Thread

Pilko

isn't the draw normally televised after having publicity n that? not heard anything about it and all of a sudden we have our group and fixture list.

Draw was made ages ago mush. They just take ages deciding what order to play as it is done between the various FAs.

Parker is very good off the ball, on it he's average though, Barry is the better passer.

Hardly a revelation, that.

No, but an important point. When it comes to the latter stages of an international tournament, a midfield anchorman who can't pass is as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Barry lacks pace but IMO he offers the better package.

Parker is very good off the ball, on it he's average though, Barry is the better passer.

No, but an important point. When it comes to the latter stages of an international tournament, a midfield anchorman who can't pass is as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Parker is able to link up play (have a look at his games for Tottenham) fine. He may not have the range Barry has but to say he 'can't pass' is a bit of an exaggeration.

Agreed though Lampard is getting on a bit, has to be kinda expected to be injuredl. I'd give Cleverly a shot depending how he does this season, but like Jones basically expect him to be hyped all out of proportion HE PLAYS FOR A MEDIOCRE MAN UNITED TEAM HE MUST BE BRILLIANT

Parker is able to link up play (have a look at his games for Tottenham) fine. He may not have the range Barry has but to say he 'can't pass' is a bit of an exaggeration.

Agreed.

I'd say Parker is a better than Barry when it comes to playing in confined spaces with better teams closing you down - his first touch and agility is better, he can twist and turn (and pirouette!) and knows how to play short, simple passes. If you have a strong manager who tells Parker to be very disciplined and defensive, and to move the ball on quickly, you've got a really good player - his form for Spurs highlights this. If you give him free reign, too much creative responsibility, and tell him to leave defending to others, he's fucking awful, though the press will rave about him (see west ham last season).

Barry is better at picking a pass, spraying hollywood balls around and what not. he's definitely got more vision and in a match against poorer opposition where we are going to see more of the ball and are looking for a touch more creativity, he'd be better. but he's like Carrick in that he dwells on the ball and can be pressured into making mistakes or the wrong pass, and will be miles off the pace defensively. The germany game showed that he can become a liability off the ball.

Basically if we're playing Montenegro or Poland - Barry. If we're playing Spain or Germany - Parker. Bit depressing that these are our main two options for the more withdrawn midfielder, mind. Would be interesting to see how Wilshere and Cleverley combined, and if they offered enough defensive steel. They're the two i like the best.

My England team right now would be (accepting Saylor will never make squad for some reason)

Hart

Richards        Lescott      Jagielka    Baines

Parker

Wilshere    Lampard

Walcott                                      Young

Rooney

There are caveats, Walcott seems in best form i've seen him for Arsenal right now, if he goes back to his usual crapness then probably go for Johnson. Milner recently has looked better than i thought he could look for City so maybe as an alternative to Young or Lampard.  Really not sure about the central pairing, that's just based on Spain, and think we should have a settled backline leading up to euros. Ferdinand and Terry are past it.

Rooney ideally but less sure we should take him right now, and dunno who to replace him with, Bent perhaps, think he's done better than a lot have suggested when asked for England. I also think a pardew style 4-4-2 with Wilshere and Parker in midfield and lots of counterattacking ability would be a decent idea.

Jagielka's a pretty good defender playing with a bit of confidence. Terry is a better defender playing without much confidence currently.

I don't think Terry's past it yet. Certainly a better choice than Ferdinand.

Hmmmmmmm not convinced over Terry, I think he got completely found out against Germany to be honest, though our whole team did, and maybe playing with confidence yes would go ahead of Jagielka but at the moment seems a bit of a liability to me

Guest kingdawson

I'm a bit worried about the Parker bandwagon. At a certain point, a player like that can hold a team back.

Barry is being written off too quickly.

"Hold a team back" yes like he's 'holding' us back with our 8 wins and 1 draw out of nine games since he signed and 'holding' England back with his motm performances. He wasn't good for you guys i get it but he's probably the most in form England player there is currently.

I'm a bit worried about the Parker bandwagon. At a certain point, a player like that can hold a team back.

Barry is being written off too quickly.

"Hold a team back" yes like he's 'holding' us back with our 8 wins and 1 draw out of nine games since he signed and 'holding' England back with his motm performances. He wasn't good for you guys i get it but he's probably the most in form England player there is currently.

He's wasn't as bad for us as some people make out anyway. The team that time he played was terrible at times. Would like to see him in our current team, just for a comparisment.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Everytime I've seen Adam Johnson he's looked unstoppable, is there any reason he isn't getting picked for City or England?

A Man City mate of mine doesn't rate him anywhere near as highly as most of us do.

Everytime I've seen Adam Johnson he's looked unstoppable, is there any reason he isn't getting picked for City or England?

A Man City mate of mine doesn't rate him anywhere near as highly as most of us do.

Interesting, I've just always though he looks brilliant, much better than Walcott for example. But I haven't watched him over many full 90 mins.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Interesting, I've just always though he looks brilliant, much better than Walcott for example. But I haven't watched him over many full 90 mins.

Me too. :undecided:

Me too. :undecided:

Looked poor when he came on last night.