The England Thread

Pilko

just baiting the irish then?  righto

Not at all. It's just some Irish posters thought I was specifically referring to Ireland .  When I wasn't.

Me and Ronaldo were just having a bit of banter ( :anguish: ) when you came in with your 'England don't care about any other country' spiel

It must hurt you, that.

:lol: Not as much as it would hurt you to see Ireland qualify

Just another foreign country to us. No different from any other. You can't say the same about us.

Not another foreign country to Ronaldo, he fucking hates Ireland :lol:

I'm fairly sure you're flattering yourself somewhat there

I'm not and I'd say he would probably admit he hates Ireland or at least has a dislike for Ireland

I'm a proud Brit and obviously react to anti-British nonsense from the Irish but I really don't dislike Ireland more than any other European country.

I love Father Ted too and some of that was actually filmed in Ireland, so goes the rumour.

There you go triggs. Just as I said. It's a fact of life that England or Britain are far more important to other nations than they are to us. Everybody and everyone raises their game to play us.

Most people there would rather stuff the Republic than stuff England; would they not?

Of course, it's always been that way as it's a heated rivalry that stems from a number of things outside of football.

You'd be suprised at how many people from here that actually support England at major finals.

It's the English media the Irish can't stand more than anything. You still have a lot of people with the "anyone but England" approach but most of us don't care. It would be hypocritical to shit all over the England national team if you're an English club supporter as well IMO.

It must hurt you, that.

:lol: Not as much as it would hurt you to see Ireland qualify

Just another foreign country to us. No different from any other. You can't say the same about us.

Not another foreign country to Ronaldo, he fucking hates Ireland :lol:

I'm fairly sure you're flattering yourself somewhat there

I'm not and I'd say he would probably admit he hates Ireland or at least has a dislike for Ireland

I'm a proud Brit and obviously react to anti-British nonsense from the Irish but I really don't dislike Ireland more than any other European country.

I love Father Ted too and some of that was actually filmed in Ireland, so goes the rumour.

There you go triggs. Just as I said. It's a fact of life that England or Britain are far more important to other nations than they are to us. Everybody and everyone raises their game to play us.

Yes, but that was after you picked up on an innocuous comment that was aimed at Ronaldo

Most people there would rather stuff the Republic than stuff England; would they not?

Of course, it's always been that way as it's a heated rivalry that stems from a number of things outside of football.

You'd be suprised at how many people from here that actually support England at major finals.

It's the English media the Irish can't stand more than anything. You still have a lot of people with the "anyone but England" approach but most of us don't care. It would be hypocritical to shit all over the England national team if you're an English club supporter as well IMO.

Now all the massive cunts like Terry, Cole and now Gerrard are gone and you have team mostly made of young, likeable players I certainly wouldn't mind seeing England win something.

Just need a manager who can get them playing decent football.

i'm english but since 1990 have had absolutely nothing but utter disdain for the england international scene - there can not be a nation that has failed to meet it's expectations so consistently, if there is i'd love to know who

i'd honestly say it's a steady decline and all since sky took over football and it'll keep going that way until someone has the balls to take it back

I think it's fair to say that a lot of nations (not just Ireland, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland) like beating us as I wouldn't say the English are very well-liked globally.  I doubt that any team would raise their game against us though.

i'm english but since 1990 have had absolutely nothing but utter disdain for the england international scene - there can not be a nation that has failed to meet it's expectations so consistently, if there is i'd love to know who

i'd honestly say it's a steady decline and all since sky took over football and it'll keep going that way until someone has the balls to take it back

You must have enjoyed Euro 96 surely?

yes and no, i enjoyed it for what it was but in terms of england i was stood about in the pubs watching people go batshit about england when it was clear they were never the best team in it...bit like brazil this summer

as i've got older i've warmed to england more, back then i had zero national sentiment, arguably negative tbh

EDIT: in fact i'd say since about 1990 until recently i only ever paid attention to toon players playing for england, beyond that i didn't care and still don't

yes and no, i enjoyed it for what it was but in terms of england i was stood about in the pubs watching people go batshit about england when it was clear they were never the best team in it...bit like brazil this summer

as i've got older i've warmed to england more, back then i had zero national sentiment, arguably negative tbh

EDIT: in fact i'd say since about 1990 until recently i only ever paid attention to toon players playing for england, beyond that i didn't care and still don't

What's wrong with that like?

What's wrong with that like?

i explained it in the next sentence i think, not that there's anything wrong with it of course i've just never been in the billy england camp...always wanted the best football/team to win, in fact i'd say i still do

This still going on?

Can't we all just agree that England's a much better country with an underachieving team and nobody hates Ireland.

I'd agree with that.  Can't see the inferiors agreeing though[emoji6]

This still going on?

Can't we all just agree that England's a much better country with an underachieving team and nobody hates Ireland.

too busy tarmacking, lets just unilaterally agree to call it a day

This still going on?

I know I'm biting but why exactly is England a much better country?

This still going on?

I know I'm biting but why exactly is England a much better country?

Don't bite.

This still going on?

too busy tarmacking, lets just unilaterally agree to call it a day

Oh look silly mojo has taken the obvious satire as real views[emoji38]

In Lampard's case, for a midfielder to be his club's all-time leading goalscorer is a fantastic feat, even though his team were nearly always much better than the opposition. He was an outstanding finisher.

Gerrard though could produce moments that would take your breath away - like that equalising goal from 35 yards against West Ham in the Cup Final. That combination of power and skill sets him above the rest IMO.

Absolutely convinced that if you looked through Lampard's catalogue of goals, you would find goals of that calibre in there.

Of course you would. Lampard scored a long list of sensational strikes, remember in particular one he kindly plonked in the top corner at Goodison after being given it from a throw-in.

Gerrard however has the Captain Liverpool romanticism surrounding him which falsely puts him above Lampard. It's pathetic.