Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest michaelfoster

He

Guthrie is not diciplined enough to play RM as he ends up cutting inside and playing almost as a CM leaving us lop sided and Simpson exposed at RB.

instead of Obertan, who just stands still and leaves Simpson exposed

Obertan made a cracking tackle against Villa tbf, Guthrie is too busy wandering round like a lost sheep when he plays RM so its either CM or the bench for Guthrie unfortunatly.

Oh yeah, I forget that Obertan made one tackle two games ago. He's perfectly fine then.

Seriously though, I don't see how Guthrie could be worse than Obertan on the right. He deserves to be playing a lot more than Gabby does

Guest reefatoon

Oh yeah, I forget that Obertan made one tackle two games ago. He's perfectly fine then.

Seriously though, I don't see how Guthrie could be worse than Obertan on the right. He deserves to be playing a lot more than Gabby does

You are right, he might deserve to play more than Obertan, but it is the same with the Ben Arfa situation.  square pegs in round holes is not the way to do it.  We need to play players in their best position, not shoe horn them in somewhere else.  Playing guthrie on the right is not the way to do it.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He

Guthrie is not diciplined enough to play RM as he ends up cutting inside and playing almost as a CM leaving us lop sided and Simpson exposed at RB.

instead of Obertan, who just stands still and leaves Simpson exposed

Obertan made a cracking tackle against Villa tbf, Guthrie is too busy wandering round like a lost sheep when he plays RM so its either CM or the bench for Guthrie unfortunatly.

He hasn't played out wide for us since October 2010. :lol:

Well what is githries best position ? Not good enough defensivly to play centre in a 442, not creative enough to carry.

His best position is CM, he's just not great at harrying people or tracking runners, doesn't mean he's better somewhere else.

As harsh as it would be to do it, Guthrie must make way for Cabaye and Tiote. Like Dave has said, they are simply a class above him. Cabaye gives us more of a motor in CM and Tiote gives us reinforced solidity in midfield too.

I've said this before, Guthrie has proved to be a more than capable backup to both Yohan and Cheik so by that reckoning, I would very much like him to stay. I'm hopeful that he'll sign a new contract and I think he will. He will get his opportunities next year with us - Tiote will presumably be off to the ACoN again so there's always a chance for Guthrie to play.

Having said all that, if he feels he needs to move, then it would be understandable.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie is very good on the ball, but off it he's a total liability with him being a common factor with some shocking performances away from home from our CM.

He says he expects to start against Wolves considering the form he's in, despite Cabaye and Tiote returning. And it's implied that whether he does or not could have a major impact on his decision to sign a new contract.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/02/15/danny-guthire-expects-to-to-face-wolverhampton-61634-30333107/

I think he would do okay against Wolves as it's only against the top teams where his lack of athleticism is exposed. This is always going to be the case with squad players like him, Perch or Ryan Taylor. They will do a decent job up to a point, but the top 6 teams all have players who will put in just as much effort but have the quality and the pace and athleticism which takes them out of Guthrie's league.

Think we'll go 4-5-1 with Cisse dropping to the bench now Pardew has used the 'international travel' excuse in a recent interview. Be interesting to see if we do how much freedom the CM's are given to push forward and support Ba.

EDIT: Actually realise that's probably bollocks as international week is after the Wolves game. Still think there's a chance of a 4-5-1 but for none of the reasons above.  :buck2:

Guest VaVaVoom

Think we'll go 4-5-1 with Cisse dropping to the bench now Pardew has used the 'international travel' excuse in a recent interview. Be interesting to see if we do how much freedom the CM's are given to push forward and support Ba.

EDIT: Actually realise that's probably bollocks as international week is after the Wolves game. Still think there's a chance of a 4-5-1 but for none of the reasons above.  :buck2:

Bah :lol: