SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To be fair his best finish at Villa is the Same as Oneill's IIRC and he had way less money, I reckon he's better than O'Neill.  I think O'Leary took leeds further in the Champions League than O'Neill did with Celtic.

Worth thinking about  :snod:

Yes, and all he had to do was bankrupt them in the process.

He's a chequebook manager, and when he hasn't got the cash, he's all about excuses.

I'm getting bile coming up into the back of my throat just thinking about him. I'm departing this thread for good.

So what's so great about O'Neill? Spent more money than 90% of PL managers and still can only scrape into the UEFA Cup.  

O'Leary isn't the greatest manager out there but neither is he the worst, I don't want him at Newcastle because I want a takeover but if the did come it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Kinnear showed even the most out of touch mangers can improve a team temporarily.

Where did I say O'Neill was so great? I didn't.

O'Neill, however, had to clean up O'Leary's shite after him, and whilst O'Leary got us to sixth, true, he also had us on a one way course for the Championship, which we were lucky to escape under him and - had he stayed - would have been our final destination, absolutely without doubt.

Don't take it from me, though. Seriously, it is neither here nor there to me if O'Dreary gets your job, I'm just telling you what it was like under the one manager who - incredibly - managed to make himself more hated amongst Villa supporters than Doug Ellis.

"We're not friends but Jose (Mourinho) has always kind of rated me if you know what I mean. He was asked a question to recommend somebody for something or put them up and I was very grateful that he did it. When I thanked him he said, "David, I wasn't doing you a favour even though I like you, it's because I rate you," and that's his attitude.

"I saw Capello at the soccer writers' function the other week and he came down from the top table and said "when are you bloody getting back in the game?" It was nice getting that from Capello. A lot of them know that you're too good to be out of it. That's not me trying to big myself up."

O'Leary: I'd return as a number two... but only at United or Arsenal

By Patrick Reilly

David O'Leary has revealed he is prepared to return to the game as a number two but only at his former club Arsenal or with league champions Manchester United.

Ireland's hero of Italia '90 has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa in 2006 but says he would welcome a call from either of the two men he most admires in English football - Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.

'The only people who could take me as a number two would be an Alex Ferguson or an Arsene Wenger and I'd be back tomorrow. I don't want to be making out that my tongue is hanging out ass licking to get into a job. That's just not me.'

Former Aston Villa and Leeds United boss David O'Leary has confirmed he is ready to get back into football management.

The 51-year-old former Republic of Ireland international has been without a post after leaving Villa Park by mutual content in July 2006.

O'Leary has had offers to get back into the game, although the positions have not been of a high enough calibre to tempt him into accepting.

The ex-Arsenal defender has not ruled out dropping out of the Premier League to accept a Championship post or one day returning to Leeds.

"I've had requests to go back into football and it's not me bigging myself up or thinking I deserve a bigger job but I just felt that the jobs weren't right in any way," he told the Daily Mail.

"I've had lots of offers mainly from abroad and I think that can only come from people remembering Leeds in the Champions League.

"Ideally I'd love to get back into the day-to-day stuff. I'm a worker. I'd take a Championship job definitely if it was the right one. Dave O'Leary needs to be working. Dave O'Leary doesn't want to be playing golf.

"Some were with loads and loads of dollars. Jose Mourinho was very good and recommended me for a really big job but I just felt I couldn't live where it was with the family really. That was about six or seven months ago."

Astonishingly O'Leary, despite being blamed by some as one of the factors behind their dramatic fall from grace, has not ruled out returning to Elland Road down the line as manager.

While Peter Ridsdale took the fall for signing the cheques which ultimately led to the club's perilous position, O'Leary chose the transfer targets and failed to guide the team to UEFA Champions League football in the 2000/01 season.

"I wouldn't rule that out," he said of returning to the Leeds hot-seat one day. "Most of the city would love it to happen and what would give it every chance is Ridsdale is not involved anymore.

"We'd have to wait and see on that. My last memory of Leeds is of 40,000 people applauding me as I walked around the pitch. I left them in the top five in the country."

He's definitely "me me me,right enough of that let's talk about me again." isn't he.FWIW,I'd prefer him to Kinnear,that's about it.

Can't even see this happening just because it would end the state of perpetual limbo which shows no sign of going anywhere.  Anyone want to have a guess how many games Houghton will be in charge for?  I'd say the next three at least.

oh i can see it happening alright, ashley moves with all the urgency of a three legged tortoise in tar, we've only got to look as far as the last 3 transfer windows to see that. we should have had alarm bells ringing after the first 2 weeks of 'in a few days' after the shearer meetings. it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest on 1st/2nd of sept to have not signed anyone, ashley to announce he's not selling and o'leary will take charge of the first team. sadly, at the minute i think that would surprise me less than him selling the club.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Shearer would take the job under pretty much any cicumstances at the moment.

IMO if Shearers advisors contact Ashleys advisors or vica versa i think they can sort this out with or without the club up for sale. Shearer would be pretty confident that even if the club is sold he would remain as manager unless the situation turns out to be completely desperate

Guest Roger Kint

Not sure if its been mentioned and this is as good a place as any but did anyone hear TalkShite this morning?

Ossie Ardilles was saying how much he was gutted about us and that he would love another chance to help us.

"We're not friends but Jose (Mourinho) has always kind of rated me if you know what I mean. He was asked a question to recommend somebody for something or put them up and I was very grateful that he did it. When I thanked him he said, "David, I wasn't doing you a favour even though I like you, it's because I rate you," and that's his attitude.

"I saw Capello at the soccer writers' function the other week and he came down from the top table and said "when are you bloody getting back in the game?" It was nice getting that from Capello. A lot of them know that you're too good to be out of it. That's not me trying to big myself up."

O'Leary: I'd return as a number two... but only at United or Arsenal

By Patrick Reilly

David O'Leary has revealed he is prepared to return to the game as a number two but only at his former club Arsenal or with league champions Manchester United.

Ireland's hero of Italia '90 has been out of work since leaving Aston Villa in 2006 but says he would welcome a call from either of the two men he most admires in English football - Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.

'The only people who could take me as a number two would be an Alex Ferguson or an Arsene Wenger and I'd be back tomorrow. I don't want to be making out that my tongue is hanging out ass licking to get into a job. That's just not me.'

Former Aston Villa and Leeds United boss David O'Leary has confirmed he is ready to get back into football management.

The 51-year-old former Republic of Ireland international has been without a post after leaving Villa Park by mutual content in July 2006.

O'Leary has had offers to get back into the game, although the positions have not been of a high enough calibre to tempt him into accepting.

The ex-Arsenal defender has not ruled out dropping out of the Premier League to accept a Championship post or one day returning to Leeds.

"I've had requests to go back into football and it's not me bigging myself up or thinking I deserve a bigger job but I just felt that the jobs weren't right in any way," he told the Daily Mail.

"I've had lots of offers mainly from abroad and I think that can only come from people remembering Leeds in the Champions League.

"Ideally I'd love to get back into the day-to-day stuff. I'm a worker. I'd take a Championship job definitely if it was the right one. Dave O'Leary needs to be working. Dave O'Leary doesn't want to be playing golf.

"Some were with loads and loads of dollars. Jose Mourinho was very good and recommended me for a really big job but I just felt I couldn't live where it was with the family really. That was about six or seven months ago."

Astonishingly O'Leary, despite being blamed by some as one of the factors behind their dramatic fall from grace, has not ruled out returning to Elland Road down the line as manager.

While Peter Ridsdale took the fall for signing the cheques which ultimately led to the club's perilous position, O'Leary chose the transfer targets and failed to guide the team to UEFA Champions League football in the 2000/01 season.

"I wouldn't rule that out," he said of returning to the Leeds hot-seat one day. "Most of the city would love it to happen and what would give it every chance is Ridsdale is not involved anymore.

"We'd have to wait and see on that. My last memory of Leeds is of 40,000 people applauding me as I walked around the pitch. I left them in the top five in the country."

He's definitely "me me me,right enough of that let's talk about me again." isn't he.FWIW,I'd prefer him to Kinnear,that's about it.

Hmmmm- refers to himself in the third person and only shithouses do that imo.

Not sure if its been mentioned and this is as good a place as any but did anyone hear TalkShite this morning?

Ossie Ardilles was saying how much he was gutted about us and that he would love another chance to help us.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club but I did hear the interview and he sounded genuinely gutted...was really bigging up the club and everything about it. Makes a change from sour faced bastards like Mark Lawrenson always looking to stick the knife in.

Guest Roger Kint

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club but I did hear the interview and he sounded genuinely gutted...was really bigging up the club and everything about it. Makes a change from sour faced bastards like Mark Lawrenson always looking to stick the knife in.

Pretty much the same feeling i had. Sadly every failed manager will be looking to cash in on the job now, the only requirements are to be unemployed and without credibility ;D

Help?!

Help?

He's an absolute *expletive deleted* of the highest order, whose only interest is himself. Basically, a compensation package waiting to happen.

At the first sight of things going wrong, he'll be pointing the finger everywhere - the chairman, other clubs, the fans ('fickle', calling us 'shitbags', slating the 2,000 who travelled to Doncaster on a winter Wednesday night to see us get beat 3-0 and dared to express their dissatisfaction), anyone but himself.

You'd better get yourselves used to hear him talk ENDLESSLY about his young side at Leeds, to him talking you down at every opportunity (you may be in the Championship, but I guarantee he'll be talking you down into League Two in no time - I remember him telling us that both Boro and Charlton - FFS - had a "different agenda" to us), he'll slowly suck the lifeblood out of the club at the very first sign things aren't going well.

He also has an absolutely monstrously high opinion of himself which he will be expressing to you at every opportunity. He'll also side with the chairman against you when that suits him, and with you against the chairman when that suits him, and with the players against the chairman when that is the best option. And I mean best option for DOL.

To an outsider, it looks like Ashley has had you on a pre-planned crash course for destruction, but appointing him, you may as well give up right now, i absolutely guarantee you, it will end in tears. Big, big tears.

Oh, and another thing, if you thought Allardyce's football was turgid, O'Leary makes his style look like Brazil 1970.

I've followed Villa for 35 years, and in that time we've had some truly shit managers (Billy McNeill, Graham Turner), but neither of those two had the lack of grace to combine their shitness with such a glowering self of self-importance as "Dave" O'Leary.

So, in short, I'm not a fan.

Plus he's got the most smackable face in footballing history. Even more so than Ronaldo.

I think Shearer would take the job under pretty much any cicumstances at the moment.

IMO if Shearers advisors contact Ashleys advisors or vica versa i think they can sort this out with or without the club up for sale. Shearer would be pretty confident that even if the club is sold he would remain as manager unless the situation turns out to be completely desperate

I thought we'd been through this?

Ashley doesn't want to hire Shearer as manager. He's had his fair share of dealings with fucking about with Toon legends and if Shearer ended up walking, regardless of whose fault it was Ashley would end up getting hated even more up here.

Why would he put himself through it AGAIN?

Because the likelyhood of it happening again if he sat down with Shearer and worked out a way to work with him would be minimal. Shearer would give the whole place a massive lift and give our chances of promotion a huge boost, thus Ashley would be able to sell the club for more in the long run. I also think if Shearer wouldn't be as ready to leave if things went to shit as KK was. Shearer knows we're a shambles at the moment so won't drop everything and run at the first sign of difficulty.

I think while he's still trying to sell the club he didn't want to appoint Shearer because he might not be the preferred choice of a potential buyer but if he does take it off the market, bringing someone like O'Leary in ahead of Shearer will be absolutely beyond belief.

My care percentage for this has probably decreased about 0.1% everyday counting down from the day it began, I decided to start off at 500% to be quite realistic about the situation and today is the day I've reached 0%, that's not too good.

Ashley doesn't want to hire Shearer as manager. He's had his fair share of dealings with f***ing about with Toon legends and if Shearer ended up walking, regardless of whose fault it was Ashley would end up getting hated even more up here.

In a nutshell  - Shearer wants to spend money and Ashley doesn't - no chance he will offer Shearer the job, we had better get used to it.

Ashley doesn't want to hire Shearer as manager. He's had his fair share of dealings with f***ing about with Toon legends and if Shearer ended up walking, regardless of whose fault it was Ashley would end up getting hated even more up here.

In a nutshell  - Shearer wants to spend money and Ashley doesn't - no chance he will offer Shearer the job, we had better get used to it.

Shearer knows the squad that got us relegated is shit.

Ashley thinks it was capable of finishing top six.

:rolleyes:

..............................what was o'learys number again

I like Ossie. He would give the kids a chance and we would play some pretty stuff but unforunately we would get relegated again. What about Willie McFaul?

:icon_puke_r:

Would just like to make sure my name's included in the O'Leary Hate camp.

David O'Leary is probably my least favourite manager. Just a completely smug, slimey sort of individual. I really couldn't see any sort of good coming from appointing him. If Ashley stays I really hope he opts for Curbs.