Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

I was always 'The Manc' at Everton until the moment I took out Ronaldo

By Rob Draper

PUBLISHED: 22:17, 9 February 2013 | UPDATED: 22:17, 9 February 2013

Phil Neville will never forget the moment when his Everton career changed. It was October 26, 2008, and Manchester United were 1-0 up at Goodison Park; almost an hour had been played and Everton were struggling when Cristiano Ronaldo set off on a counter-attack.

Before the United star could get into his stride, Steven Pienaar clipped him and he stumbled. As referee Alan Wiley blew his whistle, Neville came sliding in at 90 degrees to Ronaldo and won the ball. It would be fair to say that he also took a piece of the man with him. Cue hysteria.

Defining moment: Phil Neville leaves his mark on Cristiano Ronaldo - and the Everton fans

Rio Ferdinand was first on the scene, berating Neville. Soon United captain Ryan Giggs, someone Neville had known since childhood, was there too, aggressively admonishing him, face to face. He was lucky his brother, Gary, was on the bench.

Moment of impact: Neville crunches into Rpnaldo

'I think that was my defining moment,' said Neville, who turned 36 last month. 'It totally changed my Everton career. From that moment on, I felt as if they accepted me as captain, as an Evertonian. Up until then, win and, yeah, it was fine. Lose and I always got "Manc". I was always the Manc. After that I was Phil Neville, the captain of Everton.'

Everton went on to equalise shortly after and draw the game, with Neville instrumental in the result.

The way he remembers it, that incident was 18 months into his Everton career and that was how long it took to be accepted.

'When was that?' he asks and seems surprised that it was actually three years after he joined the club. 'My first season at Everton [2005-06] was without a doubt the toughest I've had,' said Neville.

'There were times when I wondered whether I had made the right decision. It was probably because I didn't feel I was being accepted. I had to be really tough to battle through those times, with my team-mates more than the fans really.

'Because of the way I am - I get into training early, I go into the gym - I had to try to convince them that was me, that I wasn't just trying to impress, trying to be the teacher's pet. That was just the way I worked.

'I look back now and the lads who were in the team that first year, Stubbsy [Alan Stubbs] and David Weir, they're now first-team coaches at Everton and they're great guys. But at the time, it was like a baptism. And coming from Manchester United was hard. Everyone knew how much I loved United and I had to convince the fans that my heart was in Everton and not in United.'

Today Neville will take on United and while he enjoys playing at Old Trafford, he dislikes the fixture.

'It's a little bit easier now that Gary's retired but there are too many complications. For me it's a case of, "get it out of the way and let's get on with the rest of the season".'

But so complete has the transformation been that you actually now see Neville as the personification of Everton rather than the ex-United player.

'I think I need to play another 20 League games and I've played just as many games for Everton as I had for United,' he said. 'I left United with people thinking I was diehard Red. And I want to leave Everton with the Everton fans thinking "He gave his heart and soul to this club".'

That alone will not be enough, though. All his considerable honours in the game - six titles, three FA Cups and the 1999 Champions League in which he was a substitute - were won with United. If Neville leaves Everton without adding to that total, he will not be satisfied.

'From a selfish point of view, a trophy would mean my eight years as captain had been worthwhile,' he said. 'If I leave and I've not won a trophy I would see myself as a failure. And if you win a trophy, it gives everyone a belief - the manager, the staff, the chairman - that what you're doing is right. It would give us that taste to kick on, because we are so close.'

And they are close to something at Everton. The prospect of qualifying for the Champions League is, of course, still very much alive, although Neville is pragmatic.

'It's OK being in the race but Newcastle had a great season last year and they didn't make it.

Glory days: Phil Neville enjoyed some glory days with United with David Bellion (second left), Eric Djemba Djemba and Chris Eagles

Glory days: Phil Neville enjoyed some glory days with United with David Bellion (second left), Eric Djemba Djemba and Chris Eagles

'That's happened a lot over the last 10 years, where clubs have been in the race but at the end they just fall a little bit short and finish fifth or sixth because they hit a brick wall. And why did they do that? They just don't have that one player to fire them into the Champions League. And that is my worry for us. I think we're in the chase now for fourth place for the rest of the season. I still think it will be a miracle if we get into the top four. But we'd always back ourselves and we'll continue to fight because we've given ourselves the best possible platform.'

For someone who has experienced so much in football, Neville's lack of cynicism is remarkable.

Take this, on the prospect of playing in the Europa League: 'I'd love to go away and play Bate Borisov [in Belarus] on a Thursday night. People talk about "Thursday nights, Channel Five", but that is my dream for next season if we don't qualify for the Champions League. You go on to the field for a European game and there's that smell in the air. I'll get it on Sunday when you get a knot in your stomach and you think, "Big game, this". And that's what I still crave.'

Everton and Neville seem a natural fit. And his relationship with David Moyes, the manager who convinced him to sign for the club by paying him a home visit back in 2005, is clearly integral to his job satisfaction.

'Straightaway you just think, "I could work for this guy". Why? Because he's honest, he doesn't talk rubbish, he tells you good or bad, he gets the best out of me and he challenges me every single day.'

His observations of Moyes at close quarters are inclining him towards a managerial path when he does retire, unlike the punditry of his brother.

'If you asked me now, I'd say 70-30 I'm going into management. Though I'm not involved in any of their team tactics, I'm fortunate that the gaffer and Steve Round [Moyes's assistant] do include me in terms of coaching videos and analysis and scouting players.

'I jot things down. The last five years I've recorded every training session I've been part of. I watch that many games of football and I watch training sessions on YouTube. It's not something I forced myself into doing. It's just natural. That tells me that maybe that's my niche. I did Match of the Day this year, which I loved as well, but I'd say I'm swaying towards the coaching side.'

Challenging: Everton manager David Moyes

The lifestyle of a manager, with minimal security and impossible expectations, does not deter him.

'It makes me want to do it even more,' he said, explaining that he has something of a patriotic zeal to prove that, contrary to popular opinion, Englishmen can coach.

'Nigel Adkins got sacked [at Southampton] and we played them three days later. Nothing against the current manager and staff there but they've probably sacked four English managers and coaches and brought in four Spanish coaches. Now they've employed an Argentinian and he's brought in Spanish staff. We don't value our own. I think there's a myth about these foreign coaches. I think we've got good coaches who just don't get the chance.'

Management will have to wait for now, though. Neville hopes to play on for two more years and will meet Moyes next month to see what Everton's view is. If they do not offer him a new deal, he might even play abroad.

'There's not a country in the world I would be averse to going to. I've even thought I'd go and play for somewhere for nothing, even if it was just for two games, just to say I've done it.'

Although he refuses to dwell on his achievements in the game, when pressed he can offer some perspective on his football life, recalling his teenage years when he was called up for Euro 96 at the age of 19, how he cried on being left out of the 1998 World Cup squad by Glenn Hoddle, or how as a 23-year-old he was deemed personally responsible for England's failure at Euro 2000, arriving home to abusive graffiti near his home. It is easy to forget that his path has not always been a smooth one.

'I look back and I think I'm a bit disappointed in how upset I was in 1998,' he said.

'But it was the World Cup. And I was 21. It was the be all and end all for me. I used to think, "I hate Glenn Hoddle!" Now I think he was one of the best coaches I ever played with. It was actually my fault I didn't get in. I didn't play well enough. I just put too much on it and it affected me for two or three months after.'

That intensity of youth seems a world away now. 'We were on the way to play Cheltenham last month and I sat opposite Seamus Coleman, who is just starting out, on the team bus. Seamus said, "What you thinking about?" We take a chef with us on the bus, so I said, "I can't wait for the sticky toffee pudding after the game".

'Seamus said, "What?! Aren't you thinking about the game?" And I said, "When I was your age, that was all I was thinking about. Then you realise there's more. Whatever will happen in the game will happen. I'm actually looking forward to the nice bit after the game". And he was like, "I can't wait to get to that stage!"'

If you did not know better, you might think Neville was ready for an easy retirement. But that is never going to happen. As a player, manager or pundit, you cannot imagine him easing off. Just ask Cristiano Ronaldo.

Just read this and thought I'd post it, great attitude.

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/opinion/comment/tom-english-the-growing-crises-in-football-1-2783602

THERE is a gulf in achievement between Arsenal and Manchester United that is as wide as the smile on Robin van Persie’s face, but sometimes the measure of a club can’t be judged exclusively by the number of pots and pans sitting in the trophy room.

On silverware alone, Arsene Wenger gets routed every time by Sir Alex Ferguson. On their respective treatment of the growing crises in football, though, Wenger wins, albeit by walkover as Ferguson has failed to turn up.

On Friday, Wenger embraced questions about football’s ills, about the epidemic of match-fixing and the suspicion of doping, the latter subject being one that very few in the game have a stomach for, Ferguson among them. “It’s a real tsunami,” said Wenger of the collective problems that are besetting the game. “I can’t accept it and I always was a believer that there was a lot of cheating going on in our game and that we are not strong enough with what happens, nor with the doping, nor with the corruption of the referees, nor with the match fixing.”

Wenger moved on to talk specifically about the ongoing trial of Eufemiano Fuentes, pictured right, the doping doctor who has as-yet-undeclared links to prominent footballers in Spain. “They [the Spanish authorities] have found pockets of blood but they don’t even ask to whom does that belong,” said the Arsenal manager of the ludicrous backdrop to the Fuentes case. Described as a doping genius by one of his cycling clients, Fuentes had 200 athletes on his books but only 50-60 of the cases are being examined in court in Madrid. The cyclists, in other words. The footballers and tennis players and sportsmen and women from other codes are suspiciously exempt.

This is the attitude that Wenger railed against on Friday. “They are not interested at all. The justice should go deeper. When you look at the functions of this doctor, it is quite scary. Honestly, I don’t think we do enough [drug-testing in football]. It is very difficult for me to believe that you have 740 players in the World Cup and you come out with zero problems.”

This is not Wenger’s first venture into this debate and nor do you suspect will it be his last. Over the years, he has revisited it after his initial revelations nine years ago. In 2004, he spoke about players arriving at Arsenal from overseas with abnormally high red blood cell counts. He said it was likely that some clubs dope their players without the players even knowing about it. “That kind of thing makes you wonder,” he said.

We have to salute Wenger, for he is one of the very few managers in the world game who has spoken about the threat of doping in football. Some have paid lip service but Wenger speaks from a position of authority, not from a place of denial where most of his peers hang about. Ferguson chief among them.

The Manchester United manager has such immense influence in the game that if he weighed in he could shift the FA and UEFA and FIFA from their torpor on blood testing and biological passports and all the things they need to introduce if they really and truly want to find out how big an issue doping is in their sport. But he hasn’t weighed in. Or, at least, he has, but not in a mature way. From Ferguson, most of what we have heard has been hugely disappointing.

In 2003, when Rio Ferdinand, failed to appear at a routine dope test and was subsequently banned for eight months, Ferguson and his club went to war. They blamed the FA, they blamed the testers, they blamed the panel who found Ferdinand guilty and the media who reported it. Ferguson called the treatment of his player “savage and barbaric” and threatened to go to the law to seek justice on his behalf. The one person he didn’t train his guns on was Ferdinand, a fabulously well-paid player who couldn’t muster the personal responsibility to turn up as requested to a drugs test. He said he forgot. He went shopping. Neither did Ferguson have anything to say about the behaviour of those at United who allowed Ferdinand to drive out of the gates of Carrington and into the Manchester afternoon while a tester from UK Sport was approaching. This was rank amateurism from United, not that Ferguson had anything to say about that.

Wind the clock on and Ferguson’s next notable visit to the doping issue came in 2008, the year that UK Sport introduced more stringent testing protocols. The United manager didn’t approve. While accepting that doping in football was a very bad thing, he said that conforming to the procedures was a “real nuisance to us”.

He elaborated on the whereabouts rule, the requirement on the part of the athlete to provide anti-doping officials with advance notification of their precise whereabouts for a particular hour each day all year round. Other athletes had been adhering to these rules for years.

“If you give a player a day off, you have to notify the FA and tell them where the player will be for one hour during his day off,” said Ferguson. “There are times when you might want to give a player a Sunday off, but you then have to notify the FA and tell that they are not training and furnish them with the addresses where they will be.

“But you know what young players are like. They might be sat in the house when their wife asks if they want to go shopping.” Imagine if a player tried to run that one past Ferguson. “Sorry boss, I forgot to go training. The wife asked to go down the shops.” Hairdryer wouldn’t quite cover it. Industrial-sized blower, maybe.

This was a mealy-mouthed attitude from one of the most influential men in the world game, a mindset of “yeah, doping is not good and we’ll do what we can, but, Christ, this is a load of hassle”. Ferguson went on: “It’s very difficult to do it, but I can tell the FA that it will cost them a fortune to implement all this.” What business is it of Ferguson’s how much it costs the FA? And why is it an inconvenience for footballers on £100,000 a week to declare their whereabouts for one hour out of their day? Are they that lacking in responsibility and professionalism? No, I suspect the majority are not, so why did Ferguson raise these points?

And why, in August 2010, did he revisit the theme of the put-upon manager getting grief from the testers when appearing as a character witness for his former assistant, Carlos Queiroz, when Queiroz was up on a Portuguese FA charge of aggressive and insulting conduct towards dope-testing officials at a national training camp? Ferguson defending his mate is admirable, but once again he poured scorn on the testers doing their job.

He called doping controls “a terrible strain on football managers… Understandably, in Carlos’ situation, preparing for a World Cup as he was, this became a great inconvenience for him.”

A great inconvenience. How sad that Ferguson sees it this way. How glad we should be that Wenger, for one, has the courage to talk about doping in his sport in a way that you could only admire. There should be many more like him. Football’s tragedy is that there are not.

This may have already been posted

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scots-hitkid-jack-harper-in-dreamland-1505477#.URew4BZUDdA.twitter

cots hitkid Jack Harper in dreamland after penning new five-year deal with Real Madrid

26 Dec 2012 08:40

JACK is tipped for a bright future after being labeled one of the best young talents in Spanish football - at the age of 16 - and has bagged 11 goals for Real's U17 side this season.

OYFUL John Harper was out Christmas shopping when Real Madrid called with the gift of a glorious future for his son.

The proud dad has spoken of his delight after Jack, 16, penned a five-year deal on Saturday with the giants of world football.

His son now has his sights on becoming one of the top players in the world – and will never turn his back on Scotland.

John, originally from Barrhead, moved to Fuengirola in Spain 18 years ago with wife Tracy and son Ryan, then just a toddler.

Jack was born in Malaga in February 1996 and has developed into one of the best young talents in Spanish football. He is top scorer with Real’s Under-17 side with 11 goals this season.

The terms of Jack’s contract prevent him from speaking in public until he is older but dad John said: “I was Christmas

shopping on Friday but got a call to take a train from Malaga to Madrid. They wanted Jack to sign the next day but as he is under 18 my consent was required.

“Jack left home at the age of 13 to be schooled by Real but at that age you never know how it will go in terms of development.

“But now he has the security of a long-term deal.

“Jack can now chase his dream of playing in the first team for Real as the contract underlines the club’s belief in him.”

Jack trained with Sevilla and Almeria as a youngster but Real offered him a three-week trial in the summer of 2009 and he earned a 12-month deal from that.

Now he has earned the right to believe he can make the grade – and his dad insists Scotland will not lose out.

Jack is a regular at Under-17 get-togethers and SFA performance director Mark Wotte has been in Madrid to keep tabs on him. John added: “It will always be Scotland for Jack.

“Anyway I’m old school. I’ve told my boys their dad would love to see a Scotland cap on his mantelpiece one day.”

Fair play to the doping article, highlighting yet another reason Ferguson is a cunt unworthy of the respect a manager of his calibre should deserve.

That Neville article was really interesting too. Be interesting to see him in management. Always liked him purely for his professionalism. Good to see he made use of his final years after leaving Man U. Even if your Neils of the world aren't his biggest fans. 'Glory days: Phil Neville enjoyed some glory days with United with David Bellion (second left), Eric Djemba Djemba and Chris Eagles' though. Those names. Has to be a joke. :lol:

It's probably been posted before but here it comes again.

The Danish metalband Skullclub was on Danish TV before the Spurs match revealling that their next album will be recorded in Newcastle. Further more the club has promised Skullclub that they will play their song before our matches if they make a new version with no swearwords.

FA Vase 6th Round Draw

Runcorn Town or Walsall Wood or Hamworth Villa v Guernsey

Shildon v Newport (IOW) or Ascot United

Spennymoor Town v Gornal Athletic

Larkhall Athletic or Tunbridge Wells v Hadleigh United

To be played Saturday 2nd March