Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I like this . . .

There are at least 3 versions of things that an organisation "have to" do - "have to" in the sense of what the law forces them to do; "have to" in the sense of what they are contractually required to do to comply with the agreement"; and "have to" in the sense of what it would be incredibly foolish to not do.

• "Have to" as a matter of law is anything that an organisation has to do or face a criminal sanction (jail time, fines, civil rulings, etc.)  On this front, in respect of the NUFC Takeover matter, there is likely nothing that the Premier League has to do.  Although there are some suggestions that the Premier League may be in contravention of laws around "restraint of trade" or "cartel" behaviors - these could be the basis for Ashley launching legal proceedings against the Premier League.

• "Have to" as a matter of contract law (complying with an agreement) is something they must do or risk the other party(ies) suing them for breach of contract, and demanding damages to compensate for any losses or losses of revenue.  There has been some (in my opinion, robust) suggestion that there are requirements within the O&D Test portion of the rules of the Premier League that require (must do) the league to respond and provide answers as a result of a sale of club being agreed - this may be the basis for Ashley launching action against the Premier League on the basis that those rules form part of the contractual agreement that NUFC have with the Premier League, as a member club of that league; that by not complying with those rules the Premier League have violated the terms of the contract thereby opening the opportunity for Ashley(NUFC) to sue the league for that breach of contract.

• "Have to" as a matter of risk avoidance is something that they would be foolish not to do lest a greater impact come to pass as a result of not doing it.  This is the area where pressure from the MP's, the Prime Minister, councilors, fans, and other interested parties resides.  The intention is to show the league that they have to do what is being asked of them or a greater cost will befall them (e.g. loss of sponsors, cooperation, introduction of new regulations from MP's, commissions of inquiry, etc) - that is to say that the threat is that if the League doesn't do what is being asked then, for example, MP's may commission an inquiry into foreign interference in the running of English football that may put Masters under oath for questioning (a result he would not want).

This is why NUFC fans, and the buying consortium need to be doing everything they are in parallel - it's about backing the league into a corner that makes them believe that not doing what is being asked risks a worse outcome than if they do it.  Ashley will push the first and second points hard with the league (threatening them with regulatory breach investigations and lawsuits based on commercial agreement breaches); MP's will push the first and third points (threatening investigations into regulatory breach investigations, hearings, investigations, new regulations, etc); and fans will push the third point (that the league, the league's sponsors, the league's supporters, the league's partners will all be targeted and their operations interfered with, and anything else the fans think of doing). If all of these things are done together the league may be convinced it is better to concede than to keep resisting.

Do the NUST have any ideas going forward to apply more pressure to the PL?

Need this to stay relevant and feel another orchestrated attempt is probably going to be needed now if not soon!

I've been trying to think of ways to further the protests but not sure what else we can do en masse. I think further dialogue with buyers and/or club would be welcomed, as In what are they doing to try and keep this alive if anything?

I think the petition and MP letters have reached their ceiling as part of the effect. There needs to be follow on petition / MP response either calling for regulation / investigation, either or else calling for the club to withdraw from the PL due to being unable to compete.

Think I’ll wait and hear back from the trust meeting with the PL before I decide if I’m truely and finally out. Tho wonder how many questions the PL palm off with their ‘confidential process’ bullshit

Have I missed something?  Are the Trust meeting the PL?

ScottishMagpie[/member]

Got my e-mail from NUST today.