Coventry vs Newcastle United pre-match thread

Stifler

Guest Rey Mysterio

It's a no-brainer, Guthrie should be in the middle with Pancrate/Taylor on the right.  If that doesn't come stright into Hughton's head, he should then think who has played better, Pancrate, Butt or Taylor? Butt was horseshit against Watford so surely, SURELY he will not get given the start tonight.

I don't think playing Butt will be the biggest problem. My worry is that Hughton will put Guthrie on the right hand side which totally unbalances the team.

If he plays Butt in the centre with Smith, and two proper wingers out wide I rekcon we'll walk it

Even if he went with two out and out wingers, there's still little point in having two central midfielders who will sit back and allow the opposition to dictate.

Butt was ok against Watford, he used his experience to slow the game down and keep the ball, stop being such pessimists.

He was awful. ???

No he wasn't man, stop exaggerating, he was neither good nor shite, he was just there, he won a few tackles, and as long as he keeps it simple tonight he should get through the game just fine.

What tackles did he win exactly? I recall him winning one and that was only because the ball practically rolled to him due to the Watford player taking a touch too many. And making a couple of completed passes. The rest of the time, he gave the ball away, a few times in dangerous positions, missed several tackles and was generally out of position. Due to how slow he is, this also meant that the Watford players didn't have to do much to get past him.

The problem with Butt is he doesn't keep it simple and even when he tries, it goes wrong. The amount of times he misplaces a pass to a team-mate a few yards away is simply not good enough.

I'd play Guthrie in the middle and Taylor on the right with Pancrate coming on later to use his pace up front.

Coventry are there for the taking and we have to go 4-4-2 and get at them, this is not a normal Hughton 4-5-1 away game.

i would settle for 4-5-1 and a 0-1 Win, but i take your point.

I'd play Guthrie in the middle and Taylor on the right with Pancrate coming on later to use his pace up front.

Coventry are there for the taking and we have to go 4-4-2 and get at them, this is not a normal Hughton 4-5-1 away game.

i would settle for 4-5-1 and a 0-1 Win, but i take your point.

At this moment in time i'd take a point but think this is a game in which we can abandon the caution and go all out for a win.

Saturday is a different story however and we have to go to Barnsley and play our "usual" away style and try and win 1-0 in our new Arsenal 1993/94 style.

It won't be the loss of a point or three if we drop points, it's the fact we know we've got a very good chance to move clear and the players will prove that they lack ruthlessness when it matters and that will be worrying if we get caught up by a couple of teams after a slump. Which we probably will.