Newcastle v Notts Forest - 19:45 Monday 29/03/10 Pre-match thread.

The Prophet

they've been poor on their travels of late (and at home by all accounts though picking up results)...let them worry about us.

routledge  guthrie  nolan  gutierrez

carroll   loven

if poss.

dont whats happening to enrique or simpson yet but those two with colo and willimason ought to be enough.

to put it into perspective they have lost thir last 7 aways off the bounce in all comps (6 in the league) and have won 2 out their last14 away games.

Think that will be the starting line-up.

Good stuff.  :coolsmiley:

they've been poor on their travels of late (and at home by all accounts though picking up results)...let them worry about us.

routledge  guthrie  nolan  gutierrez

carroll   loven

if poss.

dont whats happening to enrique or simpson yet but those two with colo and willimason ought to be enough.

to put it into perspective they have lost thir last 7 aways off the bounce in all comps (6 in the league) and have won 2 out their last14 away games.

Think that will be the starting line-up.

:celb:

They sang 'You'll never got a job' to us in October, which really offended our lot. Led to many scab chants.

Gutted I'm missing this  :dowie:

long memories considering it goes back to the early (jobs) and mid (scabs) 80's.

Fans of Chile, when they're playing Bolivia, chant "Let's go to the beach!", referring to a war which resulted in Chile taking Bolivia's only stretch of Pacific coastline -- in 1879!

Passions ran very high during the miners' strike. I don't often get into fights, but I remember a conversation I had with a guy from Nottingham in a bar in Majorca quickly come to blows in summer 1985. Some Spaniards had to pull us apart.

i mean its fun to hear young lads whose politics would actually have been thatcherite had they been out if nappies shouting "scab".

Aye, indeed. And not even knowing what a scab is.

Thats why its good you lads are here.... Don't let us forget it, or why it happeed. Dont' want to end up having another Tory gov.!!!

I'll be shouting 'Scabs' if it starts up tomorrow. Reasons why Nottinghamshire didn't strike was because those miners worked and got far better conditions/money than the miners in the rest of the country. These super pits had enjoyed plenty of investment during that time, which set about creating the division. In the end though, Nottinghamshire miners ended up getting shafted by the Tories as well.

In saying that, I know there were plenty NE lads who went to work in the Notts pits after the strike. Plenty Geordies knocking about down there still.

I'll be shouting 'Scabs' if it starts up tomorrow. Reasons why Nottinghamshire didn't strike was because those miners worked and got far better conditions/money than the miners in the rest of the country. These super pits had enjoyed plenty of investment during that time, which set about creating the division. In the end though, Nottinghamshire miners ended up getting shafted by the Tories as well.

In saying that, I know there were plenty NE lads who went to work in the Notts pits after the strike. Plenty Geordies knocking about down there still.

someone told me at the time that it originally goes back even beyond that, maybe even general strike days (and a mates grandfather hated durham mners for something that happened in that one) but i'm not at all sure. i do know theres been a load of trouble for a long time between the pit men associated with nottingham area and those from the mansfield area.

They sang 'You'll never got a job' to us in October, which really offended our lot. Led to many scab chants.

long memories considering it goes back to the early (jobs) and mid (scabs) 80's.

Fans of Chile, when they're playing Bolivia, chant "Let's go to the beach!", referring to a war which resulted in Chile taking Bolivia's only stretch of Pacific coastline -- in 1879!

Passions ran very high during the miners' strike. I don't often get into fights, but I remember a conversation I had with a guy from Nottingham in a bar in Majorca quickly come to blows in summer 1985. Some Spaniards had to pull us apart.

Valerenga brought a huge banner to St James's saying 'Lindisfarne 793, St James's 2004(?)' :lol:

Not sure to be honest, Madras. Have we any ex-miners on here who could shed some light on things? I was 11 years old when the strike began in 84 and as the son of a miner (at that time), it wasn't good . Lots of people today, particularly youngsters don't understand how bad it was back then. Having to go to soup kitchens for a meal during school holidays - says it all really. The strike still gets my dander up now 25 years on since it ended.

Not sure to be honest, Madras. Have we any ex-miners on here who could shed some light on things? I was 11 years old when the strike began in 84 and as the son of a miner (at that time), it wasn't good . Lots of people today, particularly youngsters don't understand how bad it was back then. Having to go to soup kitchens for a meal during school holidays - says it all really. The strike still gets my dander up now 25 years on since it ended.

got to be honest mate, i was about 18 at the time and non too supportive of the miners, mainly due to scargill stance on not having a ballot and his staunch refusal that even pits losing cash should be shut. however the way some turned against their own disgusted me and the police actions were insidious.

in my wilder moments i'll still claim scargill was a thatcher stooge. he done everything she wanted.

Valerenga brought a huge banner to St James's saying 'Lindisfarne 793, St James's 2004(?)' :lol:

:lol:

Brilliant!

Yeah, the one mate I have from Nottingham thinks of Newcastle as his second team, as his dad was a Geordie.

A bit worried reading through the thread. Some are beig overconfident and may be expecting a thonking. If we don't score in the 1st half, crowd may get on players' back which might increase their anxiety.

Forest knows our home record and will be coming with a defensive set up, if we go all guns blazing, they might open us up with one of their fast counter attacks. I'd take a 1-0 without a problem

A bit worried reading through the thread. Some are beig overconfident and may be expecting a thonking. If we don't score in the 1st half, crowd may get on players' back which might increase their anxiety.

Forest knows our home record and will be coming with a defensive set up, if we go all guns blazing, they might open us up with one of their fast counter attacks. I'd take a 1-0 without a problem

I disagree - I think to be ridiculously cautious like that is giving them too much credit.

They've got a poor away record, we've got a good home record.

Play with:

Harper

Simpson Colo Will Enrique

Rout Nolan Guthrie Jonas

Carroll Loven

and we'll win it comfortably. 3-1.

Feeling pre-match nerves already for this one.

Aye, not to chuffed about how they reckon the weather gonna be too, could fkn SNOW!!!

:(

Snow won't be here til Tuesday morning.

If I remember, the Nottingham mines were newer and much more pleasant to work in, ie you weren't working hunched on your hands and knees with your head pressed against the roof in the pitch black non-stop, the ventilation was better so they weren't all hacking up black shit all the time and the heat wasn't quite as unbearable.  The more modern machinery and the fact the coal had been tapped more recently also meant they were turning a profit, so they believed that their mine was probably safe anyway.  When they kept working they became darlings of the press and the government, who loved wheeling them out at any opportunity to (as the other miners saw it) slag off their own.

The adjacent Yorkshire mines were the ones tasked with the flying pickets on Nottingham, so both teams there still get fucking dogs abuse off Leeds as well. The Sheffield teams and Tranmere also famously bear a grudge about it.

That was by far and away the greatest thing I've ever seen at St James.

I spent half the match giggling about it. Brilliant.  ;D

Really looking forward to this one!

If we can play Harper; Simpson, Williamson, Colo, Enrique; Routledge, Guthrie, Nolan, Jonas; Carroll, Lövenkrands, we should shit them.

Would be very happy with a draw, over the moon with a win.

That was by far and away the greatest thing I've ever seen at St James.

I spent half the match giggling about it. Brilliant.  ;D

Can't believe there's no image of this anywhere!

We're gonna stuff this lot tonight, let them enjoy the "Npower Championship" next year while we are in the Premier League.

I actually hope Forest get second place.  I can't stand West Brom.