Given's Return

Crumpy Gunt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phil K

He didn't give a flying f*** for the supporters when Cities filthy lucre was wangled in front of his pikey nose.

He lied to supporters by inferring the Liverpool game was the 'final straw' when its now common knowledge he was actively seeking an exit two months earlier. For what its worth (you can search my posts) but I infered well before the Liverpool game that City had 'tapped him up' because that was something I was told by someone I know would know.

None so blind I suppose....

Absolutely.

He's an ex-Newcastle player that left like a rat leaving a sinking ship - and contributed to it's sinking by doing so.

He may not deserve actual booing, and I certainly don't agree to that, but nor does he deserves to be praised/applauded/etc which is just sodding ridiculous

Legend my arse. he's no better than Chrissy Waddle in that regard. They waved notes in front of HIS nose and he was off too.

Given lost every single one of the brownie points he'd built up over the years when he engineered his way out of the club. Not got a problem with him leaving or the reasons behind it but it was the manner in which he left which left a bitter taste. You want to leave? Do it right and be honest and upfront. He didn't, he was a snidey little fucker and it could possibly have cost the club a few million quid. He's a wanker.

He gave us 11 years of service. Anyone who boo's a man who gave us that is an utter f***ing cretin in my eyes. How many times did we come close to relegation in the years before Shay left? We were nailed on the year he went and many on here said that themselves and who could blame him for not wanting that on his CV? He didnt want to be part of this club not because of the fans but because of Ashley and the way we were going i.e. into the f***ing championship. He isnt getting any younger and wants medals, fair enough. Yes he could have stayed btw, but he might have had a relegation to his name not to mention the opportunity to move to City might have passed.

He was a great keeper and servant to us. All those people slating him, how would you like walking into a company you gave 11 years to and getting booed because you left for a better opportunity? He has a life to live and a career to make the most of, he gave us 11 f***ing years of that career which dont forget is a huge amount of time in football, so show him some respect. It sickens me that people will boo a man who gave us all those years, its disgusting.

The amount of memories he gave us outweight the memory of him leaving. It just sums some Newcastle fans up the way they choose the negative memories over the positive ones here.

HE DEAPARTED FOR MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

He didn't give a flying f*** for the supporters when Cities filthy lucre was wangled in front of his pikey nose.

He lied to supporters by inferring the Liverpool game was the 'final straw' when its now common knowledge he was actively seeking an exit two months earlier. For what its worth (you can search my posts) but I infered well before the Liverpool game that City had 'tapped him up' because that was something I was told by someone I know would know.

I don't doubt Givens ability (despite an obvious weakness here and there) we could - and did with Harper, have had much much worse over the years. Lets not also forget he was in all likely hood on TOP WAGES for over a decade at NUFC and would have departed here an extremely wealthy man - which makes his greed even more disgusting in my view. 13 games and I doubt there would be even one vote in the JUDAS option.

None so blind I suppose....

Absolute bollocks, mate. Given could have gone a few years earlier, particularly to Aesenal for salary well above what he was getting at the time. He didnt. He remained loyal.

At his age, the opportunities for winning something were rapidly disappearing and noone could deny we were in freefall at the time.

Man City made an offer which may not have still been there at the end of the season so he had little choice to follow his ambitions and leave.

After all, he has more chance of winning medals with them than he has with us. True?

Arsenal never came in for him, never made an offer so that is bollocks.

err, I happen to know that they did and we were considering the offer but Given didnt want to go.

Well that settles it then. :iamatwat:

Arsenal tried to sighn him during Souness's reign. Money was tight at the time because Souness wanted Owen and Shepherd felt Hsrper was good enough to take over from Given. The price quoted at the time was 8 million but in the end, Given said he wanted to stay and henceforth Shepherd used all the NR money to buy Owen.

My source is a personal friend who is a former NUFC player, now managing elsewhere.

Arsenal tried to sighn him during Souness's reign. Money was tight at the time because Souness wanted Owen and Shepherd felt Hsrper was good enough to take over from Given. The price quoted at the time was 8 million but in the end, Given said he wanted to stay and henceforth Shepherd used all the NR money to buy Owen.

My source is a personal friend who is a former NUFC player, now managing elsewhere.

Former players are some of the worst sources going for information.

Load of shite, just rumours, you can't really base owt on that.

He also came out in the press and said he wanted Owen.

He also said he would take the Newcastle manager job in a heartbeat...... before saying that Newcastle fans were the reason he had 'decided' never to manage again a couple of weeks later.  He seems like a very confused man. :dontknow: :mystery:

It was a mistake though. OK it was a horrendous way to leave, but he was leaving Ashley and the cronies like he did, not us. Which was stupid because of course he left us the same way.

What I mean is I don't think there was any malice in it, the way we (the fans) were treated by him when he left was collateral.

I stand by the fact he loved the fans and the club and was very decent guy. I forgive him

I don't think I give that much of a fuck being honest. I wish he had waited til the end of the season but I appreciate how great a player he was for us. I think the way he left won't be an issue in years to come and when he retires I hope the fans remember how good a keeper he was for us over the years

Guest rememberbillyrafferty

Legend - gave the club the best years of his career, never let the club down and loved playing for NUFC and loved his home in Prestwick, he was looking forward to building a new home in the Northumberland countryside when it all went tits up under dennis wise/mike ashley and its frankly ridiculous to suggest he's a judas Given is NUFC through and through Newcastle is and always will be his club and I for one will give him a standing ovation on and off the pitch if he plays

Legend - gave the club the best years of his career, never let the club down and loved playing for NUFC and loved his home in Prestwick, he was looking forward to building a new home in the Northumberland countryside when it all went tits up under dennis wise/mike ashley and its frankly ridiculous to suggest he's a judas Given is NUFC through and through Newcastle is and always will be his club and I for one will give him a standing ovation on and off the pitch if he plays

He let the Club - the SUPPORTERS - down massively. You live in cloud cuckoo land mate.

He let the Club - the SUPPORTERS - down massively. You live in cloud cuckoo land mate.

And you live in mackem land you troll.

• 1 month later...
Guest neesy111

This sounds familiar.

From Juliette Ferrington's Twitter

"shay given says he will consider his future at manchester city if he isn't selected v tottenham this weekend. "

Given does throw is toys out of the pram if he get's dropped, remember he put in a transfer request when bobby kept harper in goal after a few good games