The Liverpool Thread

Parky

What exactly does Whelan has to gain by letting his promising young manager who's probably the only reason why they're still in the Premiership go?

He can't really force him to stay can he?

No he can't, but it's almost as if he's pimping him out..

He's resigned to the fact that there's very little he can do in this situation and its almost fully Martinez's decision.

Not buying that. He's practically been advertising Martinez to Liverpool. Now I understand Whelan supposedly has a soft spot for the bin dippers, but considering his interest in Wigan he could play it a bit more subtle. Wonder what the Wigan fans (if indeed they do exist) make of it all..

I don't think Whelan does hidden agendas and always seems one of the most straight talking chairman around and man of his word... He's realistic about Wigan and knows they can only grow so much as things stand... He's always said he'd not stand in the way of him joining a bigger club... I was one of the few not surprised when he turned down Villa last year even when given permission to talk to them as Whelan predicted as much... Basically Whelan portrays an image of having great working relationships with his managers which probably works in his favour when trying to hire them so he is now doing no more than highlighting that he's kept his word to Martinez...

Guest gggg

I don;t know why they dont just give van Gaal the job. Easily the best candidate and would improve them without spending anything

I don;t know why they dont just give van Gaal the job. Easily the best candidate and would improve them without spending anything

Yep, would be hilarious if they give him a DoF role though. He will be impossible to work with for any manager worth his salt.. :lol:

What exactly does Whelan has to gain by letting his promising young manager who's probably the only reason why they're still in the Premiership go?

He can't really force him to stay can he?

No he can't, but it's almost as if he's pimping him out..

He's resigned to the fact that there's very little he can do in this situation and its almost fully Martinez's decision.

Not buying that. He's practically been advertising Martinez to Liverpool. Now I understand Whelan supposedly has a soft spot for the bin dippers, but considering his interest in Wigan he could play it a bit more subtle. Wonder what the Wigan fans (if indeed they do exist) make of it all..

I'm with you. All he needs to do is allow Martinez to talk to Liverpool if he wants to, but he's quoted in papers on multiple occasions saying how fantastic Martinez is, and that he should be managing a 'big club'. It's very odd.

It's fantastic exposure for Wigan Athletic, he's always done it with players too. It's based around the idea of accepting where and what Wigan are; a stepping stone to bigger and better things. If Martinez gets the Liverpool job it reflects well on Wigan in their search for a replacement.

What he does is probably not a million miles away from our own player recruitment tbh. Do well here and you'll get to the biggest stage one way or another.

It's fantastic exposure for Wigan Athletic, he's always done it with players too. It's based around the idea of accepting where and what Wigan are; a stepping stone to bigger and better things. If Martinez gets the Liverpool job it reflects well on Wigan in their search for a replacement.

What he does is probably not a million miles away from our own player recruitment tbh. Do well here and you'll get to the biggest stage one way or another.

:thup:

I can see the similarities, but there'd be hell on if Pards/Ashley didn't tow the line with the normal "it'll be hard to keep him", instead going with the Whelan alternative of "yeah, Cheick should play for Man Utd, he deserves to play at a big team". Even if the end result is perhaps the same...

I know Wigan are a smaller club, but I'm not convinced I'd just happily plod along with this mentality if I was a Wigan fan. If they have any fans.

His methods keep them in the division against all odds every year, look at the way he's talked up his best player every summer then sold him for the huge money that keeps the club going and buys the next batch. If you go through Wigan's sales since they came up they've repeated the same trick over and over again, just to try and maintain Premier League status and to date it's worked. The manager is no different, I guess.

Guest WhyAyeCabaye

Martinez is somewhat underwhelming.

But he knows how to survive relegation dog fights, so it's probably a good choice going by the direction liverpool are heading.  :laugh:

His methods keep them in the division against all odds every year, look at the way he's talked up his best player every summer then sold him for the huge money that keeps the club going and buys the next batch. If you go through Wigan's sales since they came up they've repeated the same trick over and over again, just to try and maintain Premier League status and to date it's worked. The manager is no different, I guess.

Their good sales have been offset by some shockers as well mind. Boselli (£6.5 million), Koumas (£5.3 million), King (£4 million) and Kapo (£3.5 million). Plus the likes of Rodallega and Diame who were bought but set to lose on frees. Same thing will probably happen with Moses if they don't do a new deal soon.

Did Martinez buy all of them as well? Never realised he'd spent that much.

Only Boselli.

The fact they went for him suggests their scouting network is basic and recruitment is at the mercy of agents. The Valencia and particularly Palacios deals strike me as very lucky needle in a hay stack success stories.

Maybe being harsh there because they do look outside the box a lot more than other clubs which is commendable. Other success stories include:

Cattermole (£3.5m, sold for £6m)

Chimbonda (500k, sold for £4.5 million)

Baines (free released by Liverpool, sold for £6 million)

Scharner (£2 million, left on a free but very good service)

Bramble (free, slight profit, player of the season in 09)

Figueroa (very small fee, been a consistent performer)

Zaki (loan, half of season of brilliant form)

McCarthy (£1.2 million)

McCarthur (400k)

Diame (small fee)

Moses (£2.5 million)

Zoggy (£6 million, sold for £9 million, kept them up)

What nationality is their new Chief Exec by the way?

I posted the other day that Martinez would be their new manager and that an American would come in at board room level.

Guest elbee909

They really are going to appoint Martinez  :lol:

You just know they won't give him five minutes until they're moaning, those great fans who support their managers so whole-heartedly.

Can definitely see the Scousers' high expectations destroying Martinez. But, having said that, think Martinez will be better equipped to manage Liverpool than Roy - that is, he'll last longer than Hodgson.

They really are going to appoint Martinez  :lol:

You just know they won't give him five minutes until they're moaning, those great fans who support their managers so whole-heartedly.

5mins? That long. Think Martinez might just do enough early on, changing their playing style and they'll like it over what kkk served up. But if points don't get on the board, or do then they tail off daggers will be out and he'll be ran out of town.

If they give him a season regardless of what happens they'll end the season a stronger club than they ended this one.

He'd be a good choice especially if the rumours that there's no more money to splash out are true. Wouldn't necessarily be brilliant, but would get them playing good stuff, however also will require patience that the fans won't have.

It's probably no great risk for Martinez, disaster at Liverpool can easily be blamed on Stuart Downing  :lol: