The Liverpool Thread

Parky

• 3 weeks later...

Shite start to the season, even in the games they've won they should have lost.

seem to have the same problems as last season (god awful defense) without the attacking ability to compensate for lack of said defense as they previously did.

Were'nt some of the 'family' partial to breaking into some of the players homes while they were away on European duty if I recall correctly a few years ago. Those lovable cheeky scallywags, make sure you lock up and set the alarm Mario.

Rodgers making some very very odd decisions this season so far.

- Abandoning a working formation (4-4-2 Diamond), and keep playing 4-2-3-1 which suits none of the players, restricts Henderson and Sterling, and Balotelli is no way a lone striker

- Lack of use of subs. We've been playing 2 games a week for 3 weeks in a row now, and barely ever he's used all his subs and squad

- Management of some players. Sterling has been ran to the ground and it showed tonight. Half game rest vs. Villa and then playing 120 Mins vs. Boro and then for some reason he stayed on tonight. Playing Gerrard 90 minutes of every single game and never subbing him , etc...

- Playing out of form players with hope they find form, while clearly ignoring those alternatives in the same positions...

- Bringing back the Slovakian Steven Taylor (Skrtel) who continues to cost us a goal a game. Not to mention picking up an unnecessary feud with Sakho.

All in all, he has had a woeful month. Trying to be too clever for his own mind. Pardew-lite this month...really need to up his game in October, because the double-header with Madrid looks grim. Considering WBA have been the best set piece team in the league this season, and we're even worse than Newcastle defending them, it could be an uphill battle on Saturday. He's 41 though and first time dealing with a big squad and such fixture congestion, but f***ing hell, 6 games of utter s*** with 4-2-3-1, time to re-evaluate it Brendan. He can't keep blaming the individual mistakes in defense and set pieces, and then Pick the culprit of all (Skrtel/Mig) game in and out.

Thankfully I've been ill and out of sorts this entire month, so haven't been 100% involved, but it still sucks.

- Abandoning a working formation (4-4-2 Diamond), and keep playing 4-2-3-1 which suits none of the players, restricts Henderson and Sterling, and Balotelli is no way a lone striker

- Lack of use of subs. We've been playing 2 games a week for 3 weeks in a row now, and barely ever he's used all his subs and squad

- Management of some players. Sterling has been ran to the ground and it showed tonight. Half game rest vs. Villa and then playing 120 Mins vs. Boro and then for some reason he stayed on tonight. Playing Gerrard 90 minutes of every single game and never subbing him , etc...

- Playing out of form players with hope they find form, while clearly ignoring those alternatives in the same positions...

- Bringing back the Slovakian Steven Taylor (Skrtel) who continues to cost us a goal a game. Not to mention picking up an unnecessary feud with Sakho.

All in all, he has had a woeful month. Trying to be too clever for his own mind. Pardew-lite this month...really need to up his game in October, because the double-header with Madrid looks grim. Considering WBA have been the best set piece team in the league this season, and we're even worse than Newcastle defending them, it could be an uphill battle on Saturday. He's 41 though and first time dealing with a big squad and such fixture congestion, but f***ing hell, 6 games of utter s*** with 4-2-3-1, time to re-evaluate it Brendan. He can't keep blaming the individual mistakes in defense and set pieces, and then Pick the culprit of all (Skrtel/Mig) game in and out.

Thankfully I've been ill and out of sorts this entire month, so haven't been 100% involved, but it still sucks.

Stevie G has been man-marked out of games by himself at the base of the diamond. a 2 allows him greater flexibility to get around the pitch. His lateral positioning is also poor and easily exposed when he's the only deep midfielder.

Sakho's looked horrible whenever I've watched him. He looks to have all the ingredients physically to be a top CB but he's terrible whenever I see him. He has a 50p header on him, it just goes anywhere.

Otherwise I agree with some of Rodgers mistakes. Markovic & Lallana played in high tempo teams last season but they seem to move and think slow as anything now. Mario's always been a bit ponderous with bursts of explosiveness.

Guest firetotheworks

I just read that message from a fan to Balotelli. The antidote to breakfast.

11 on the cringeometer.

Stevie G has been man-marked out of games by himself at the base of the diamond. a 2 allows him greater flexibility to get around the pitch. His lateral positioning is also poor and easily exposed when he's the only deep midfielder.

Sakho's looked horrible whenever I've watched him. He looks to have all the ingredients physically to be a top CB but he's terrible whenever I see him. He has a 50p header on him, it just goes anywhere.

Otherwise I agree with some of Rodgers mistakes. Markovic & Lallana played in high tempo teams last season but they seem to move and think slow as anything now. Mario's always been a bit ponderous with bursts of explosiveness.

On Gerrard point: By playing the 2 completely kills Henderson. This is what Hodgson did at the WC and made them both look shackled and shit. Managers should be able to handle players and do for good of the team, see how Garcia is using Totti. Gerrard doesn't have to start every game at age of 34.5 . Changing the system to help one player, in sacrificing plenty of others is detrimental. Though Allen is very important to the diamond and i'll be shocked if we don't revert back when him and Sturridge are fit.

On Sakho, it's a press narrative like Mbiwa. I recall reading "It's criminal someone like Mbiwa is playing CL football" the other night, from those who probably only recall watching him getting slaughtered by Sky Sports after the 6-0 game and made their mind up on it. Sakho is another victim of that, despite the fact that we concede less goals and chances with him on the side and he's had less direct errors leading to goals compared to Skrtel, and a lot higher forward pass accuracy. This guy keeps Mangala and Koscielny out of the French team and bosses Varane around there.....yet somehow finds himself below Kolo Toure in packing order here, because Brendan for some reason has a massive hard-on on Skrtel. He hasn't been anywhere as good as his NT form for us, granted, but still a damn sight better than Skrtoure. Though press narrative has their "Clumsy big centre back who can't pass" on him, despite him actually having better pass completion rate (forward passes to feet of midfielders...remind you of another French CB?) than majority of PL CBs. Well, he'll be gone soon and look a lot better elsewhere.

On Tempo, yea, this is where Suarez is so missed. Say anything about the lad, but he set the tempo for rest of his teammates with his immense pressing and led by example by defending up front, sort of giving extra energy to his team-mates. Still, it's no excuse to look so laboured.

@ Kaka: Well, sometimes I've got to live up to that username. George loved a good hyperbole, didn't he ;)

I'm just thinking about Wham & Boro, Sakho looked garbage.

I'm with you on the always starting and finishing Gerrard.  Even in his pomp didn't Benitez take him off when needed? Can Henderson actually ball? I've always considered him Gerrard's legs and able to play well in a good team but not one to carry a midfield.

Where on Earth is Emre Can George? Still injured? Think Gerrard will be rested more once he returns. I like the look of him.

I definitely think Rodgers should have stuck with the diamond even with Sturridge out. Just play Balo up top with Lambert/Markovic/Borini. I would have even tried Balo and Sterling furthest forward with Coutinho in behind both.