James Perch

BeloEmre

Best game from him for me. I could quite honestly say we have a simpson replacement if he decides to play silly buggas with his contract...

Amazing what confidence and a few games under your belt can do, can't even visualize that panicky defender desperate to rid himslef of the ball from 18 months ago...

Was a moment which summed up the squad and spirit near the end last night. Near our own corner flag HBA and Perch working and harrying to win the ball back, and HBA plays it off their bloke to win a goal kick. Was something about the high 5 between them that made me proud.

For me, the biggest influence for Perchinho's performances goes down to Alan Pardew. Hats off for that, i still remember when we won some game couple of months ago and he kept on praising how Perch has come in and did magnificent job for us even though that star of that game was Ba or Cisse...Pardew kept praising him and boosting his confidence and look now how much better player he is :)

Was a moment which summed up the squad and spirit near the end last night. Near our own corner flag HBA and Perch working and harrying to win the ball back, and HBA plays it off their bloke to win a goal kick. Was something about the high 5 between them that made me proud.

:snod: That was class.

Stronger, quicker and better in the air than Simpson. More assured in the tackle. I think he's probably more comfortable with the ball than Simpson too. Should be Perch's position to lose now. Just thought he was great defensively last night.

Way more comfortable on the ball than Simpson. Perch actually has good touch, composure and really good passing. He's a much better footballer than Simpson

Stronger, quicker and better in the air than Simpson. More assured in the tackle. I think he's probably more comfortable with the ball than Simpson too. Should be Perch's position to lose now. Just thought he was great defensively last night.

Way more comfortable on the ball than Simpson. Perch actually has good touch, composure and really good passing. He's a much better footballer than Simpson

He picked out Cisse at the back post with a cross, the defender got to it but when has Simpson done that this season?

there is no fucking way that Simpson should be put back in at right back above Perch. Perch is better in almost every area you care to mention, being able to pass the football comfortably on the floor and being good in the air are just two of them, he won so many aerial challenges last night that would have had us under pressure if Simpson had been there.

Absolutely fantastic yet again tonight. He should be starting alongside Colo every week ahead of Williamson IMO.

Nah... sorry mate. He's been excellent in several positions, RB,LB,CM and in CD alongside a centre half when standing in for Colo.

The one thing he is not is a centre half in his own right.

Anyway Williamson was outstanding last night too.

Sitting here pissing myself reading comments like this about James Perch.

One of the key words for this season is funny. So many times we have been laughing about a ridiculous goal, players putting in unexpected performances, Krul's saves, Pardew's fanny ratting etc..

Can't believe what I'm hearing about Perchy. What a turn around for the guy.

Perch is going to be integral in our European campaign next year.

Sitting here pissing myself reading comments like this about James Perch.

One of the key words for this season is funny. So many times we have been laughing about a ridiculous goal, players putting in unexpected performances, Krul's saves, Pardew's fanny ratting etc..

Obertan on the break against Blackburn after THAT performance  :lol:

Carroll's dive  :lol:

Jose going in goal  :lol:

Absolutely fantastic yet again tonight. He should be starting alongside Colo every week ahead of Williamson IMO.

Nah... sorry mate. He's been excellent in several positions, RB,LB,CM and in CD alongside a centre half when standing in for Colo.

The one thing he is not is a centre half in his own right.

Anyway Williamson was outstanding last night too.

Williamson had a good game but I'm still not convinced, especially when we come up against Aguero and Tevez on Sunday. He genuinely looks terrified in games when we're 'up against it'. I know he's not a centre half and Simpson also worries me due to his inability to actually put a foot in before the player gets inside the box, but I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing Perch was there to back Simpson up and cover him a bit, than I would than if Perch was beaten and Williamson was the last man between the goalkeeper and the forward.

Although at the same time it doesn't really matter too much where we play Perch across the back - he'll always put in a 100% and a bloody good performance to boot no matter where he's been. I was one of those that gave him stick like everybody else but his performances this season when called upon have been phenomenal and I don't even think that word is an exaggeration, he really has been that good. Whether it's Simpson or Williamson he plays in place of I'm not too fussed, but his performances this season merit a start against City without a doubt.

He helps Williamson out no end. We can carry one weaker player not two. Williamson is an out and out stopper, nowt more, provided you have ball players to compliment that then thats fine. What we've had is two stoppers occupying the right hand side which nullifies any creativity from the back. Williamson is fine at what he does best, though in conjunction with simpson serves to highlight the flaws of both.

He helps Williamson out no end. We can carry one weaker player not two. Williamson is an out and out stopper, nowt more, provided you have ball players to compliment that then thats fine. What we've had is two stoppers occupying the right hand side which nullifies any creativity from the back. Williamson is fine at what he does best, though in conjunction with simpson serves to highlight the flaws of both.

Perch a ball-playing defender that gives a calming influence to Williamson. :lol: Who thought those words would ever be put together?

tbf he always seemed good on the ball, he just wasn't effective because of his difficult transition from the championship. It was evidnt from even his worst appearances he had a decent touch. Williamson and simpson on the other hand have always looked as if they are in possession of the ball whilst trying to stamp out a bushfire.