Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardsey on HBA: "My view is that he can't play out wide. He has not got the relish for it and his best football comes through the middle."

I agree with this like, one reason to play him wide is to protect him, but that's a bollocks reason anyway.

I think it's narrow-minded, personally. He was outstanding from the left against Everton away, as we all know. Of course he might be even better played centrally, which is a very exciting thought, but to say he "can't play wide" is wrong. There's nothing stopping him starting from a wide position and being given a bit of license to roam, for instance, like Obertan does at the minute.

Not really arsed though, as I don't think many expected him to play wide anyway.

Pardsey on HBA: "My view is that he can't play out wide. He has not got the relish for it and his best football comes through the middle."

I agree with this like, one reason to play him wide is to protect him, but that's a bollocks reason anyway.

Marveaux should be played on the left...

We get it man, we get it.

starting from a wide position and being given a bit of license to roam, for instance, like Obertan does at the minute.

:scared:

Settle down Shirley, not saying I think he's any good at it, but he's often wandering over to the left/into the middle at times during games, even if Jonas is still out there, etc.

I think it's narrow-minded, personally. He was outstanding from the left against Everton away, as we all know. Of course he might be even better played centrally, which is a very exciting thought, but to say he "can't play wide" is wrong. There's nothing stopping him starting from a wide position and being given a bit of license to roam, for instance, like Obertan does at the minute.

Not really arsed though, as I don't think many expected him to play wide anyway.

He's good from out wide, in an open game with some space to roam into. He just clogged up the pitch against Stoke though, who were already defending as a compact unit and they relished us playing too much through the middle. We needed a Marveaux that game, just to open them up a bit with some width and stretch out the defence, create some gaps etc.

Free role is the shit here. He'll floruish behind one of the strikers, I'm glad we're not playing him wide, plenty of cover there anyway.

A little worried he won't even be in the match day squad for the weekend, going on those quotes from Pardew.

That's not how I read it tbh.  He better be in the squad, he showed enough on Tuesday and more.

don't get it personally, he starts against lower league players who are more likely to hurt him, yet he's not gonna start in the PL

can only assume they want him sharper before risking his place in the PL, however how's he going to get sharp without playing?  fuck playing him in reserve games

minimum 45 mins for me, has to be

At the end of the day, we're not playing too badly with the first 11 as it is. If we were struggling and needed a bit of magic I'd say there would be greater cause to start him but I think it's exactly the right thing to do to ease him in. Defo needs to come on at 60 mins on Saturday though.

HBA thinks so far over the last year we've treated him and his injuries spot on, I can't see us doing anything incorrect in the final part of the process. Have faith, whatever decision is made, it will be the right one.

Happy enough to have him on the bench tbh, should be getting at least half an hour though (throw him on at half time if we're losing).

If he can't play a full 90 yet then it's better to have him on against tired legs than starting him and having to take him off after an hour.

Guest icemanblue

Player gets injured. Player recovers and trains. Player plays reserve games/comes off the bench, until fully fit. This has been happening since the beginning of time, you should be used to it by now.

HBA thinks so far over the last year we've treated him and his injuries spot on, I can't see us doing anything incorrect in the final part of the process. Have faith, whatever decision is made, it will be the right one.

:nods:

:nods:

I think if he gets on the bench tomorrow, we'll see him play some part (i hope), with him nearly in line for a start the following weekend.  Pardew is simply playing the man-management game here, saying he's got to earn his spot like everyone without taking away from HBA in saying his talent and creativitity is game-changing and can lift our entire club and team up.

In other words, lighting a little fire under HBA - not like there isn't already one under the lad b/c he just wants to get back to playing.

Not worried at all, he'll be starting soon enough.