Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Thought he was very poor tonight, first time I thought that I could bear it if we sold him.

Although he would look much better with Cabaye alongside him instead of Jonas, and with defenders he can give the ball to with confidence.

He breaks up play well and wins possession, but tonight he gave possession away just as much.

I have no problem with selling him FWIW. But what you failed to mention here is how he so often kept possession under severe pressure which resulted in most our best periods of ball retention. It kind of pisses me off when I see him getting the blame for a disjointed performance when it's more down to the bumbling use of resources by a manager out of his depth.

Yeah, fair enough, he often retains the ball under pressure. But he often loses it as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you mean by the manager's use of resources, and how would that stop Tiote passing to the opposition and losing the ball?

He needs to realise he is a Makelele and not an Essien. Fucking rubbish again tonight.

Yup, needs to get back to basics. Think he only won 1 tackle tonight and fuck knows how many times he gave the ball away.

Thought he was very poor tonight, first time I thought that I could bear it if we sold him.

Although he would look much better with Cabaye alongside him instead of Jonas, and with defenders he can give the ball to with confidence.

He breaks up play well and wins possession, but tonight he gave possession away just as much.

I have no problem with selling him FWIW. But what you failed to mention here is how he so often kept possession under severe pressure which resulted in most our best periods of ball retention. It kind of pisses me off when I see him getting the blame for a disjointed performance when it's more down to the bumbling use of resources by a manager out of his depth.

Yeah, fair enough, he often retains the ball under pressure. But he often loses it as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you mean by the manager's use of resources, and how would that stop Tiote passing to the opposition and losing the ball?

Players moving into space around him would make his job a lot easier I suspect.

Needs to go back to the simple passing game he had when we first signed him. Although I seem to remember quotes from Pardew when he first took over saying how Tiote needs to be more 'progressive' with his passing. He doesn't. He needs to give it simple quick and early and concentrate on playing to his strengths.

Guest neesy111

It's so simple what teams are doing, they are just pressurising him more and waiting for a mistake from him.  It's not if but when he makes a mistake nowadays.

Couple of times tonight he lost the ball or a player breezed past him and he inexplicably decided he wasn't going to bother tracking back. HBA, Ba and Cisse were busting a nut to get back and he decided to walk it  :knuppel2:

Like others have said he just needs to stop believing his hype so much and get back to basics and keep things ticking over. His off the ball movement to me is good, he makes himself available for passes and doesn't go into hiding. Doesn't help when at times he has no one to pass to though, and Cabaye not being there isn't helping him. Still think he is a very important player though.

So many players like him make a huge reputation for themselves then turn shit. Palacios, Diarra x3, Appiah, Muntari just a few examples, look awesome for a bit, then I dunno what happens to them.

I remember games like Arsenal away when Carroll scored. He was immense in that match, everywhere, all over the pitch. But powerful play mixed with brilliant simple, neat passing.

Thesedays it's like he's trying to force too much and do too many things. As others have said he needs to go back to the basics. Break play up, protect the back four and give simple passes.

Guest neesy111

Is he being asked to try and add more t  his game, create & score.. Its not what he is about but with no Cabaye.

Pardew said when he signed his new 6 year contract he thought he could become the complete midfielder.

It's only really been this season he's looked truly off form imo. His season was broken up last season with injury and suspension, but he still turned in some immense performances. He fucking owned Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

I'm not ready to write him off after half a season off poor form (which has also been broken up by injury and suspension).

Guest tollemache

None of them have suddenly become bad players. It's incredible how confidence and focus affect players at that level. There are so many examples of really good players going totally off the boil and suddenly becoming Darko Pancev, and all that happened was they felt a little out of sorts or their confidence faded a bit.

I think it's interesting that Pardew publicly complained about players having their heads turned by devious agents, towards the end of pre-season, saying it was making his job difficult and affecting the team's preparations. I read it as a message to his players, as though he felt they weren't getting their heads down, and I think that, along with the effort to accommodate Ba, accounts for a lot of the current malaise. Tiote and Cisse are the two really glaring examples, and Tiote in particular was the subject of loads of transfer speculation.

To a certain extent I think what's happening is the price of overachievement. At the first sign of poor form, players like Tiote start wishing they'd played their cards differently, while their agents whisper in their ear about maybe getting that move to Arsenal back on track. At this stage in the rebuilding process, I think we're basically Everton over the last few years. Yo-yoing up and down the league from year to year and losing good players every time we get a good thing going might be our lot for a while. The big difference is that, even spending within our means, we've got more money than they have, won't struggle with debt, and if we keep a good transfer policy going (which might mean the occasional dud transfer window) we're liable to do better than them, sooner.

None of them have suddenly become bad players. It's incredible how confidence and focus affect players at that level. There are so many examples of really good players going totally off the boil and suddenly becoming Darko Pancev, and all that happened was they felt a little out of sorts or their confidence faded a bit.

I think it's interesting that Pardew publicly complained about players having their heads turned by devious agents, towards the end of pre-season, saying it was making his job difficult and affecting the team's preparations. I read it as a message to his players, as though he felt they weren't getting their heads down, and I think that, along with the effort to accommodate Ba, accounts for a lot of the current malaise. Tiote and Cisse are the two really glaring examples, and Tiote in particular was the subject of loads of transfer speculation.

To a certain extent I think what's happening is the price of overachievement. At the first sign of poor form, players like Tiote start wishing they'd played their cards differently, while their agents whisper in their ear about maybe getting that move to Arsenal back on track. At this stage in the rebuilding process, I think we're basically Everton over the last few years. Yo-yoing up and down the league from year to year and losing good players every time we get a good thing going might be our lot for a while. The big difference is that, even spending within our means, we've got more money than they have, won't struggle with debt, and if we keep a good transfer policy going (which might mean the occasional dud transfer window) we're liable to do better than them, sooner.

No idea where you popped up from but that is a brilliant post :clap:

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Was thinking the same, very good. :thup:

Guest tollemache

cheers!

Don't know if anyone noticed it but the subtext to that post was "Definitely don't sack Pardew over this run of form"

cheers!

Don't know if anyone noticed it but the subtext to that post was "Definitely don't sack Pardew over this run of form"

Fuck that! tollemache out!

:razz:

When the chips are down and the team isn't doing well, it's easy to forget, or rather, difficult to remember the context of it all. We are a work in progress and have been since our relegation. It's a bitter pill to swallow when you see your perennial "rivals" regressing, and your team not taking advantage of that opportunity. Moreover, when you witness "smaller" clubs' teams playing better football than we do, it digs at your doubts even more.

Relegation hit us hard at the time, and I don't think it would be as relatively pretty for us this time round should the unthinkable happen again. This is why it's panic stations all over the shop when we sense not only that nothing is going to plan, but that there is no fucking plan to begin with.

Guest tollemache

It's obvious that things haven't gone as hoped this season but to say there was never a plan is a bit much. The transfer policy is pretty obvious - we go for resale value if we spend money, we don't pay more than we can recoup, blah blah... it's Arsenal basically isn't it? People got very annoyed when we refused to push the boat out for Debuchy for example, but I could argue that was a good sign. We're going to stick to our guns and build a team on our terms. Would you rather have that or Shepherd dreaming of press conferences before even sitting down to negotiate? As far as a plan on the pitch goes, as of the end of last season you'd have said the plan was clear - the team were clearly playing more progressive football than they had been at the start of the season, just as Pardew had promised to attempt to do. That it's gone tits up this season has to do with a few factors but sheer aimlessness is the last thing I'd say the club have exhibited over the last 18 months or more.... unless you're talking about changing the shape to accommodate Ba, in which case let me just go and put my angry hat on

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, but Everton's success is largely built on one of the best managers in the game. We'll never attract anyone like Moyes while these bastards own/run NUFC.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, but Everton's success is largely built on one of the best managers in the game. We'll never attract anyone like Moyes while these bastards own/run NUFC.

I suppose that might be true, but isn't even Moyes severely limited with the amount of money he can spend? You might argue is good at identifying the right players, but so have we been.

Guest tollemache

I'd have thought the supporters at large would've grown out of hating Mike Ashley by now, since he's quite discernibly doing a good job and has been for a while. Compare what would've been the likely aftermath of three more years of Shepherd to where we are now, which is recovering from the Leeds that didn't quite happen thanks to about a hundred million quid of Ashley's own money. I've a feeling that his biggest mistake so far has been hiring (and then losing a popularity contest with) Kevin Keegan. That compounded the marginally less catastrophic boob of putting Dennis Wise in above him and triggered a hate campaign.

As far as steering the club away from ruin goes, in general terms, he's doing just great, and I certainly don't think his overall impact on the club so far warrants thinking of him as a bastard... Fully aware I might just have invited a mini Ashley hate campaign of my own there, but I hope he sticks around for long enough to make his money back, because that means we'll be doing pretty well.