Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Not sure how you can use stats from a run of games from almost 5 years ago to advocate his ability now, like.

I wasn't....you might have missed the point there, or maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I was pointing out that Colo and Taylor have form as a pair. I haven't done the stats going back five years but I'd bet our goals against is far lower when Colo and Taylor are paired, than that of any other pair over the same period. Granted they aren't up against much (Williamson) and I'm not having a dig at Mbemba - I like him and I think he'll be a decent player for us. I'm just pointing out that Taylor and Colo have historically (and the few times they have been paired this season) looked more solid as a pairing.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/07/newcastle-united-steve-mcclaren-cheik-tiote-west-bromwich-albion

Classic Saylor.

After convincing McClaren to let him undergo rehabilitation from hamstring surgery beneath the restorative heat of the Doha sun, Taylor is similarly hungry. “I’ve been dying to get back out there for ages so I’m absolutely loving it,” he said. “I feel a million dollars. I’ve come back from Qatar fitter and stronger.

“ When you’re not playing you’re always going to be written off but I like proving people wrong. It’s nice for a lot of people to eat their words. I play with my heart and soul but we need characters. When you play for Newcastle you need a bit of fruit and veg down there, you’ve got to hold your own.

“I threw myself at everything and, yeah, wound West Brom up a bit. Our team’s been a little quiet in the last few months so I livened things up. It seemed to work on a few of their players – they were moaning and it put them off their game.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/07/newcastle-united-steve-mcclaren-cheik-tiote-west-bromwich-albion

Classic Saylor.

After convincing McClaren to let him undergo rehabilitation from hamstring surgery beneath the restorative heat of the Doha sun, Taylor is similarly hungry. “I’ve been dying to get back out there for ages so I’m absolutely loving it,” he said. “I feel a million dollars. I’ve come back from Qatar fitter and stronger.

“ When you’re not playing you’re always going to be written off but I like proving people wrong. It’s nice for a lot of people to eat their words. I play with my heart and soul but we need characters. When you play for Newcastle you need a bit of fruit and veg down there, you’ve got to hold your own.

“I threw myself at everything and, yeah, wound West Brom up a bit. Our team’s been a little quiet in the last few months so I livened things up. It seemed to work on a few of their players – they were moaning and it put them off their game.”

:serious:

Those quotes look like they've been taken from a Twitter parody account or something. I noticed him do a strange little twirl after heading it to one of our players yesterday, he's absolutely missing a fair bit up top. :lol:

Good game though. :thup:

Classic Saylor.

He really is a thick twat.

However, if fit I think he will be useful in the run in.

"Fruit and veg"  :lol:  You're a fucking vegetable, Taylor. 

He played well.  As mentioned, WBA were absolutely pathetic.  So it's difficult to judge any of our players on that game.  But he did seem a more suitable partner for Colo or Mbemba.  Those two together, is even more worrying.  Taylor seems to have bulked up yet again and he is far more physical than the usual starters.  Think he'll get shown up against a more pacey and skilful attack.  Chelsea away this weekend is it?  :buck2:

To be fair he not a bad player we have had a lot worse over the years, he just never fit for most of the season, Just hope he can stay injury free till the end of the season, but not expecting it

John 'Interesting' Anderson actually seemed clued up regarding this game - put a lot of focus on how poor West Brom were. People lose their minds a bit at every bit of positivity these days as happy as I was with the nature of the result. Pleased for Mitro more than anything.

I completely understand the criticism of him being thick as pigshit and capable of the odd error, but some of the OTT stick he gets proper irks me. Aye he's injury prone, he's totally made of glass but when he's capable of good performances as we've seen at Man U and WBA yesterday and he's a capable stand-in for our defence atm. He gives absolutely everything when he's on the pitch, you see Coloccini turning away from shots but this utter clampet runs headfirst into them, he puts his body on the line constantly without a thought - which is probably another reason he's injured so often, given he probably does it in training too as he's fighting to play - he absolutely loves the club and you never see less than 100% from him every game. Personally I'm happy to see him back for a few weeks where we really need a fighter with some grit at the heart of defence alongside our spineless captain.

I completely understand the criticism of him being thick as pigshit and capable of the odd error, but some of the OTT stick he gets proper irks me. Aye he's injury prone, he's totally made of glass but when he's capable of good performances as we've seen at Man U and WBA yesterday and he's a capable stand-in for our defence atm. He gives absolutely everything when he's on the pitch, you see Coloccini turning away from shots but this utter clampet runs headfirst into them, he puts his body on the line constantly without a thought - which is probably another reason he's injured so often, given he probably does it in training too as he's fighting to play - he absolutely loves the club and you never see less than 100% from him every game. Personally I'm happy to see him back for a few weeks where we really need a fighter with some grit at the heart of defence alongside our spineless captain.

Completely agree. Don't think he comes across particularly well, but when we can get him on the pitch he is more often than not an asset. In any event, we don't really know what he is like as we don't know him/spend time with him on a day by day basis, and there doesn't appear to be anything malicious or nasty about him unlike a fair few other footballers who get hero worshipped by fans.

I don't have a problem with him as a player other than when he does mind numbingly game threatening things. I think a lot of frustration with him is almost solely down to being a waste of a squad number through injury. His type of presence has meant that in the club's warped thinking they have a strong enough squad. Their fault of course but people are rightly fed up of wasted time with players we had from the championship. I think hes a decent enough player who is dedicated to the cause although his apalling injury record has rendered him a waste of time.

In short, he has all the necessary physical attributes but few of the mental ones.

Depends if you count speed, agility and muscular endurance as physical attributes. He certainly has none of them.

He's not that slow or immobile, for a CB.