Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

• 2 weeks later...

I always say the same thing when it comes to Shola. He's an extremely good finisher and absolutely nothing else.

This. And as crazy as it sounds, I'd have Best in the pecking order ahead of him for exactly that. He can hold onto a ball and has a decent touch and whilst he isn't the greatest in the final third, he's a hell of alot less frustrating than Shola. We simply can't afford to have a player that can't hold onto the ball, especially if we defending a lead away from home.

Agreed.

Shola is absolutely useless at holding up the ball, but as a second striker I don't think he'd be that bad. I'd still rather have him over Best on any day, because playing a striker who isn't able to score simply defeats the whole point of playing strikers. Besides, if we were defending a lead away from home you'd put a midfielder on, not a striker.

What on earth are you talking about? He has absolutely nothing required of a second striker.

I mean instead of playing him as a traditional target man, play him as a striker who feeds off a target man. Shola has improved a fair bit in terms of his positional sense over the years, and he isn't that bad with the ball at his feet. I'm not saying he'll become immense just by tweaking his position a bit, but I can see him being more effective.

:snod: Should have been less conservative tbh

Excellent at West Ham and even better today. His first touch is bad but when he actually gets the ball under control, he's fucking brilliant with it. A powerful and manful performance today capped with two well-taken goals.