Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

He consistently picks up the ball, run 30 years and win us a free kick. That, married with his work rate and defensive duties, means he's a vital tool for our toolbox. Hopefully we have other attacking threats so defences pay less attention to him. He's not perfect, but if there was end product he'd be nowhere near this club.

Doing a lot of re tweeting about staying at Newcastle

You really crack me up with your sensationalism. :laugh:

@elgalgojonas JONAS newcastle misses you very much. Please stay in newcastle for many years. you and COLO are 'argie cult heroes'! RT?

web • 21/06/2011 19:15

Retweeted by elgalgojonas

@elgalgojonas re tweet this stay in the toon

Twitter for iPhone • 21/06/2011 19:53

Retweeted by elgalgojonas

Wheres the sensationalism

I didn't get to watch every game but of the games I did see Jonas would often draw two defenders.   He was often forced to back pass to Enrique or Tiote.  Jonas had no end product because he had no one to help him turn the key.  With Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Marveaux he has some midfield mobility and creativity.  With just one mobile, creative midfielder for Jonas to play off of would make a marked imporovement in his end product, IMO.  Throw in Ba and another good striker, mix in some crosses from Enrique and Barton and the club has a good variety of attacking options.  I'm getting excited.

Not much of a threat, though. His defensive contribution is the main reason i'd keep him.

Watching us without Gutierrez on the pitch in the last 2 years has been painful from an attacking point of view.

Even without an end product, he seems to scare the shit out of some defenders.  They don't know he can't cross or shoot.  :lol:

Will be really annoyed if we sell Jonas, too many question marks over Marveaux and Ben Arfa should be playing up top IMO.

Ideally would like to see Marveaux being viewed as first reserve for both wing positions, at least until he can prove he's both capable of staying fit and a better option than Jonas or whoever else we can sign to play out on the right. (Barnetta or N'Zogbia perhaps)

Think Jonas will look a hell of a lot better with some more quality around him. We've had nobody capable of producing a bit of magic in the final third for years, with Ben Arfa and hopefully N'Zogbia in the team a solid workhorse like Jonas who can carry the ball 40 yards upfield will be very useful, and his lack of end product won't be such a big deal.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he should be more of a threat with some better and more creative midfielders around him. Interested to see how he does.

I agree with that....he really took the pressure off when he ran with the ball/workrate up the other end of the pitch.....of course his crossing isn't great but if he had some other half decent attackers around him (which we seem to be getting), he would be more effective and create chances for others because of his runs.

hope we dont sell him

I am amazed at the number of posters who come out with things like 'we can't afford to have first team wages sitting on the bench'.

We are just about breaking even this summer in transfer wages before we even think about the Carrol money. It is yet to be seen how much more we spend but I doubt many are expecting anywhere near a further £20m+ without any major outgoings. That, combined with ever increasing tv money, says to me that one of our priorities next season is a stronger bench as well as a stronger first team. Look back over the squads last season and the lack of options we often had to bring on and change a game. I will be very disappointed if this summer ends up being one in, one out and we end up with 3 or 4 youth players on the bench in games again.

I am amazed at the number of posters who come out with things like 'we can't afford to have first team wages sitting on the bench'.

We are just about breaking even this summer in transfer wages before we even think about the Carrol money. It is yet to be seen how much more we spend but I doubt many are expecting anywhere near a further £20m+ without any major outgoings. That, combined with ever increasing tv money, says to me that one of our priorities next season is a stronger bench as well as a stronger first team. Look back over the squads last season and the lack of options we often had to bring on and change a game. I will be very disappointed if this summer ends up being one in, one out and we end up with 3 or 4 youth players on the bench in games again.

good post

Why are we even selling players who started for us when fit last season? ??? Selling 1 or 2 is different, but selling any more than that and we are either going backwards or standing still in regards to squad depth.

keep him and play him LB when jose goes

:facepalm:

I love Jonas and hope he stays, i can't see why people would think Marveaux deserves to come in and just drop Jonas to the bench, we have hardly seen him play yet. Surely the signings we make need to come in and actually force themselves onto the first team sheet if there is good competition for that position?

Yep, in goalkeeping parlance the "shirt is Jonas's to lose". Still no idea how good Marveaux will be, I would introduce him gradually. HBA will need the same treatment as well I guess.

Yeah same goes for HBA, that left midfield postion is going to be a hard place to cement down with what we have at the moment and what is specualted to be coming in, obviously then the chances are they can play right wing but Barton also had a very solid season there and if indeed he does still have a future at the club which he claims although it is doubtful, it isn't a position you can just walk into.

Competition for places is what we need, no good just buying players then selling players in there position as we would just end up pretty much the same as last year with a possibility of a slightly stronger 11 (buy Cabaye sell Nolan, Buy Ba sell Best, Buy Marveaux sell Jonas, Buy Taylor Sell Enrique, Buy Barnetta/Charlie sell Barton.

Yep, in goalkeeping parlance the "shirt is Jonas's to lose". Still no idea how good Marveaux will be, I would introduce him gradually. HBA will need the same treatment as well I guess.

In a 442 I agree, but if its a 433 or 4231, which is how's its looking, he doesnt fit quite fit in in my opinion. If its a case of tactical flexibility then he still serves little purpose as you'd hope that we won't be looking adjust our main formation too often and even when we do, the likes of marveuax/ben arfa and Ferguson will all look to do a job that Jonas does. There is no discernible quality other than perhaps work rate that Jonas has over those mentioned players.

Unfortunately.

In a 442 I agree, but if its a 433 or 4231, which is how's its looking, he doesnt fit quite fit in in my opinion. If its a case of tactical flexibility then he still serves little purpose as you'd hope that we won't be looking adjust our main formation too often and even when we do, the likes of marveuax/ben arfa and Ferguson will all look to do a job that Jonas does. There is no discernible quality other than perhaps work rate that Jonas has over those mentioned players.

Unfortunately.

Are you seriously putting Ferguson ahead of Jonas...what does Ferguson bring to the table that Jonas doesn't apart from a young age?

Unfortunately.

Are you seriously putting Ferguson ahead of Jonas...what does Ferguson bring to the table that Jonas doesn't apart from a young age?

No, I'm not. I'm saying that he is one of 3 players who can play in Jonas' position. If we already have 3 players who can provisionally play in a role that is increasingly looking like a redundant one then why keep him on those merits alone, Nevermind wage issues.

For what its worth I didn't offer my opinion on Ferguson but from what Ive see, I think he has the potential to be as good if not better than Jonas.

Ben Arfa I'm almost sure will play in the hole behind a striker, Fergie is still young, Marveaux might be brilliant but is still totally unproven here. I'm biased because I love Jonas, but I definitely think there's a place for him in the squad.