Newcastle United 0 - 0 Fulham - 13/11/10 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Wish Colo and Enrique would stop faffing about with the ball and just hoof it away

Yeah because the hoofing from the other members of the back four is so constructive.

???

So you'd rather we faffed on with the ball around our own box? Did you see Tiote's mistake on Wednesday?

All the fuss.. we did enough to win it some good saves denied us... Jonas today really was the good and the bad at time great choice if pass quality crosses other times shocking decisions but that's him I am afraid.

Had we been offered 7th by early November everyone here would have said YES PLEASE.. So lets not panic just yet eh lads.

Wish Colo and Enrique would stop faffing about with the ball and just hoof it away

Yeah because the hoofing from the other members of the back four is so constructive.

???

So you'd rather we faffed on with the ball around our own box? Did you see Tiote's mistake on Wednesday?

Tend to agree with you on this, although it's dependent on which player it is doing the faffing. I'm fine with Colo doing it, because he rarely fucks up... Enrique worries me a bit sometimes. Generally I prefer to see the ball passed out when possible though; hoofing it is generally the best way to gift the ball back to the opposition and encourage pressure.

I don't see the point in Guthrie playing out wide, but I can see why Chris wants to try and mould him into a RM- on his day he can be a good crosser of the ball, and although he's not a player that will get to the byline and cross the ball, the idea was probably to get him to supply the crosses from deep. He doesn't do this though. Championship player, imo.

:thup:

Some of Fulham's best spells was more or less as a direct consequence of our reluctance to push out with the ball at our feet.

True, sometimes we need to just hoof the ball up the field, but sometimes it's just pointless. I rather see us building play from behind than longball tactics employed by Stoke and Blackburn.

Just got back in, WE REALLY need to get another decent striker to play alongside Carroll in January. Need to send Ranger to a CCC side where he has to play week-in week-out.

Lovenkrands and Guthrie = Championship players, Loven does nothing but run around chasing players and closing them in.

Spot on.

Harsh on Guthrie, was at the heart of most of our attacks.

Opponent:      2010/11 2008/09 Point difference

Man Utd A        0-3        1-1    Minus 1 point

Aston Villa H    6-0        2-0    No point difference

Everton A        1-0        2-2    Plus 2 points

Stoke H            1-2        2-2    Minus 1 point

Man City A        1-2        1-2    No point diffence

Wigan H          2-2        2-2    No point difference

West Ham A    2-1        1-3    Plus 3 points

Mackems H      5-1        1-1    Plus 2 points

Arsenal A        1-0          0-3    Plus 3 points

Blackburn H    1-2        1-2    No point difference

Fulham H        0-0          0-1    Plus 1 point

Total:      2010/11 vs 2008/09  Plus 9 points

Man Utd A        0-3         1-1     Minus 1 point

Aston Villa H     6-0         2-0     No point difference

Everton A         1-0         2-2     Plus 2 points

Stoke H            1-2         2-2     Minus 1 point

Man City A        1-2        1-2     No point diffence

Wigan H           2-2         2-2     No point difference

West Ham A     2-1         1-3     Plus 3 points

Mackems H      5-1         1-1     Plus 2 points

Arsenal A        1-0          0-3     Plus 3 points

Blackburn H     1-2         1-2     No point difference

Fulham H        0-0          0-1     Plus 1 point

Total:      2010/11 vs 2008/09   Plus 9 points

Plus our goal difference is much improved, may count as an extra point come the end of the season.

Man Utd A        0-3         1-1     Minus 1 point

Aston Villa H     6-0         2-0     No point difference

Everton A         1-0         2-2     Plus 2 points

Stoke H            1-2         2-2     Minus 1 point

Man City A        1-2        1-2     No point diffence

Wigan H           2-2         2-2     No point difference

West Ham A     2-1         1-3     Plus 3 points

Mackems H      5-1         1-1     Plus 2 points

Arsenal A        1-0          0-3     Plus 3 points

Blackburn H     1-2         1-2     No point difference

Fulham H        0-0          0-1     Plus 1 point

Total:      2010/11 vs 2008/09   Plus 9 points

Plus are goal difference is much improved, may count as an extra point come the end of the season.

Good posts :thup:

Man Utd A        0-3         1-1     Minus 1 point

Aston Villa H     6-0         2-0     No point difference

Everton A         1-0         2-2     Plus 2 points

Stoke H            1-2         2-2     Minus 1 point

Man City A        1-2        1-2     No point diffence

Wigan H           2-2         2-2     No point difference

West Ham A     2-1         1-3     Plus 3 points

Mackems H      5-1         1-1     Plus 2 points

Arsenal A        1-0          0-3     Plus 3 points

Blackburn H     1-2         1-2     No point difference

Fulham H        0-0          0-1     Plus 1 point

Total:      2010/11 vs 2008/09   Plus 9 points

Very interesting, that.

Hoofing the ball aimlessly clear just gave Fulham possession back and prevented us from being able to get out of defence quickly. We have far more success attempting to play the ball out.

Of course there's a time and a place to give it a clowt into touch, but complaining about one of the better traits in our team is nonesensical.

Hoofing the ball aimlessly clear just gave Fulham possession back and prevented us from being able to get out of defence quickly. We have far more success attempting to play the ball out.

Of course there's a time and a place to give it a clowt into touch, but complaining about one of the better traits in our team is nonesensical.

:clap: 'just hoof it' makes me cringe. its not rugby union ffs

Man Utd A        0-3         1-1     Minus 1 point

Aston Villa H     6-0         2-0     No point difference

Everton A         1-0         2-2     Plus 2 points

Stoke H            1-2         2-2     Minus 1 point

Man City A        1-2        1-2     No point diffence

Wigan H           2-2         2-2     No point difference

West Ham A     2-1         1-3     Plus 3 points

Mackems H      5-1         1-1     Plus 2 points

Arsenal A        1-0          0-3     Plus 3 points

Blackburn H     1-2         1-2     No point difference

Fulham H        0-0          0-1     Plus 1 point

Total:      2010/11 vs 2008/09   Plus 9 points

Very interesting, that.

would be if it made any difference to our current position and form.

Good sides's do a combination of both. Passing out of defence is far more effective, not only do you keep possession but it can lay the foundations for an attack on the opposing goal and should be the prefered option. Smashing it aimlessly clear usually serves to put you straight under the cosh but there's a time and place when it has to be done ala Tiote on Wednesday.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think striker and RM should be our biggest transfer targets in Jan and next summer, like. We'd be a decent side with adequate players there.

We need to get them positions filled in January, definetely.

Some pretty funny posts in this thread. We were decent today, played some good football at times but just never created enough really clear-cut chances. As well as that on the chances we did create, the ball simply didn't drop to us and they got away with it time after time.

I know they hit the bar but honestly I never felt we were going to lose and by the sounds of Wednesday we were much improved on the Blackburn game. We were certainly better than against Wigan.

Another point to the tally and the results elsewhere didn't hurt too much. As far as I'm concerned things remain positive.

Some pretty funny posts in this thread. We were decent today, played some good football at times but just never created enough really clear-cut chances. As well as that on the chances we did create, the ball simply didn't drop to us dropped to Lovenkrands and they got away with it time after time.

I know they hit the bar but honestly I never felt we were going to lose and by the sounds of Wednesday we were much improved on the Blackburn game. We were certainly better than against Wigan.

Another point to the tally and the results elsewhere didn't hurt too much. As far as I'm concerned things remain positive.

Some pretty funny posts in this thread. We were decent today, played some good football at times but just never created enough really clear-cut chances. As well as that on the chances we did create, the ball simply didn't drop to us and they got away with it time after time.

If we played like we did 2nd half in both halves of this match and Blackburn then we'd certainly have more than one point to show from it.

Thought Hughton did everything right 2nd half, which for me is a first, but telling was the lack of quality in our squad, something he really cannot do much about until Ashley gives him some funds.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'm reasonably happy with it- I expected us to lose after the Blackburn game, and a point isn't too bad for us. We didn't concede, and we're missing Shola and Barton who have done well for us in the last few games (Blackburn excluded)